An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eduardo Saverin Renounces Citizenship

Winchester

dairygirl4u2c

since when has tax evasion been something to be stuck up for? that's what it essentially boils down to. protecting it under the banner of liberty?
at least when people are doing so intentionally.
they say the law affects only like a thousand people. this isn't about protecting business interests and encouraging it etc, by trying to be against what the senators are doing... it's actually encouraging tax evasion, which is silly.

Archaeology cat

Well, it's that some dislike being doubly taxed, since the US will tax all US citizens regardless of where they live and work. You do have to make over $95,000 to be taxed on it, as you can claim an exclusion otherwise, but I can see how one wouldn't take kindly to being taxed twice on the same income.

Winchester

Apparently, no matter what government decides to take, we're just supposed to let them. Government is magic!

Lilllabettt

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337560763' post='2433100']
Government is magic!
[/quote]

everything it does just turns me on. even though my life before was tragic, now I know my love for it goes on ...

Edited by Lilllabettt

dairygirl4u2c

i could see someone being upset if they were to be taxed by the US, and by the country they're staying at.
but if the person is intentionally engaging in tax evasion, then why do we care about their problems?
if they're not doing so intentionally, sure we can be concerned about their problems.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1337477466' post='2432824']
if you don't want to look it up, then don't talk about Winnie like you have actual knowledge of his post history.
[/quote]

Oops, I accidentally missed this!

I didn't say I did. I said I never saw him make a serious post before so I was in awe. Winchester is a nice guy and is capable of intellectual thought. I just never saw him make a serious post before then is all.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1337550533' post='2433039']
One guy chooses America to seek asylum and that makes America better than everywhere else? That is shockingly short-sighted. Hundreds of thousands of people choose other countries to seek asylum in countries that aren't the US. This may come as a shock to you but the US is not this paradise that's a million times better than everywhere else that you seem to think it is.
[/quote]

You would understand if you spoke Portuguese or Russian...

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337554111' post='2433067']
You be satisfied. I'm not a nationalist. There is no 'we'.
[/quote]

Yes there is. Any collective is. You can deny that collectives have moral legitimacy but you can't deny shared intentionality.

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337654231' post='2433476']
Yes there is. Any collective is. You can deny that collectives have moral legitimacy but you can't deny shared intentionality.
[/quote]
Collectives don't have intentions. Collectives don't share a mind, a soul, or a body. If you want to get mystical, have at it.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337653160' post='2433458']
You would understand if you spoke Portuguese or Russian...
[/quote]

I do speak Portuguese, fluently. I'm a native speaker. What's your point?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337679720' post='2433599']
Collectives don't have intentions. Collectives don't share a mind, a soul, or a body. If you want to get mystical, have at it.
[/quote]

It's not mystical. It's a foundational aspect of what makes humans unique among animals. And this point is obvious. Of course there can be shared intentionality. That's why human being can do this that otherwise intelligent animals, like Chimpanzees, can absolutely not do. Like engage in a coordinated hunt. Or work together to carry a log.

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337686287' post='2433615']
It's not mystical. It's a foundational aspect of what makes humans unique among animals. And this point is obvious. Of course there can be shared intentionality. That's why human being can do this that otherwise intelligent animals, like Chimpanzees, can absolutely not do. Like engage in a coordinated hunt. Or work together to carry a log.
[/quote]
Individuals act together. Groups don't act. There is no 'we' between me and whoever it was I was disagreeing with.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337707542' post='2433715']
Individuals act together. Groups don't act. There is no 'we' between me and whoever it was I was disagreeing with.
[/quote]

Groups do act. That is what a set of individuals with some common person is. The set itself does not act since it is merely a demarcation but I don't see how you get from there to saying that there is no 'we'