An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eduardo Saverin Renounces Citizenship

Winchester

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337529544' post='2432954']
Um?

I think the point is not that it's right. The point is, that's the way it is.

Nobody ever escapes to the Guatemalan embassy. Or the Japanese embassy. Or the Kenyan embassy.

Ever notice that?

I wonder why?

Do you have any ideas?
[/quote]

An embassy can only help you if you are a citizen of their country. I can be overseas and beg the US embassy to do whatever but they can't help me, I have to go to my own embassy. There are many, many countries who offer just the same level of protection as the US. There are those that don't but don't try and pretend the US is the only nice guy out there.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1337545647' post='2433024']
An embassy can only help you if you are a citizen of their country. [/quote]

Do you not watch the news? Chen Guangcheng? No?

Lilllabettt

It will really irriate me if you don't know about Chen Guangcheng. That was the whole point of my photo + witty remarks earlier. Blind, bones broken, escaping house arrest in the dark of night. Ran hundreds of miles to American embassy. Very picky about where he seeks asylum. Not interetsed in Brazilian, French, Russian embassy. Only wants the American one. Why so particular? Really wanted a cheeseburger?

Edited by Lilllabettt

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1337547249' post='2433030']
It will really irriate me if you don't know about Chen Guangcheng. That was the whole point of my photo + witty remarks earlier. Blind, bones broken, escaping house arrest in the dark of night. Ran hundreds of miles to American embassy. Very picky about where he seeks asylum. Not interetsed in Brazilian, French, Russian embassy. Only wants the American one. Why so particular? Really wanted a cheeseburger?
[/quote]

One guy chooses America to seek asylum and that makes America better than everywhere else? That is shockingly short-sighted. Hundreds of thousands of people choose other countries to seek asylum in countries that aren't the US. This may come as a shock to you but the US is not this paradise that's a million times better than everywhere else that you seem to think it is.

Edited by EmilyAnn

Lilllabettt

OH. MY. CREAMPUFSS.

WHY are you putting words in my mouth? Is this a language issue or something? Am I getting lost in translation?

i do not think America is better than everywhere else. I think America has bigger guns and a bigger wallet than everywhere else. Which. It. Does. Since you didn't answer my question, I'll do it for you:
Chen picked the American embassy because he knew they had the influence (guns and $$$) to succesfully push back against China.

When an American complains that their frosted flakes aren't crunchy enough, the earth shakes and heads roll.
When a Mexican complains that somebody is posioning the town's water supply, people yawn.
I am exagerrating but not by much.
Is it right?
Is it proper?
No. It's called realpolitik and its the way things are.
Which is why the smart money holds on to American citizenship, instead of surrendering it for some internet stock. Remember pets.com anyone?

If Mr. Saverin has made such a dumb, dumb decision, what's the point of punishing him further for it? Last I checked, freedom includes the freedom to make dumb decisions.

And somehow I'm not really convinced that everyone here understands money and investments so much better than he does.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1337552999' post='2433059']
We have more active printing presses, not a larger wallet.
[/quote]

In spite of recent crises the US remains the largest and (depending on analysis) the wealthiest economy in the world.

The problem is that some wealthy people can grow so rich they are a nation unto themselves. When you couple that with globalization and post-modern detachment from the nation-state concept you are going to get people like Saverin. However as of yet there are no private armies, so theoretically it could be sticky for him if he ever finds himself involved in a situation that will only respond to the use of force (and not bribes).

I think we can just be satisfied that if he wanted to regain his citizenship, his application would not go well.

Winchester

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1337553415' post='2433061']
even better.
[/quote]
Actually, it's quite bad. Inflation is a tax, and basically, it's hidden. Especially since our government has redefined inflation to mean a general rise in prices, and uses a gamed CPI. You can look up the Scholastics who viewed currency debasement as theft.

Winchester

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337553986' post='2433065']
I think we can just be satisfied that if he wanted to regain his citizenship, his application would not go well.
[/quote]
You be satisfied. I'm not a nationalist. There is no 'we'.

Edited by Winchester

Lilllabettt

You don't think there's some satisfaction to be had when stupid choices have their natural consequence?

Winchester

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1337554172' post='2433068']
You don't think there's some satisfaction to be had when stupid choices have their natural consequence?
[/quote]
I don't believe his choice is objectively stupid. Since Saverin has managed to live this long, and is quite wealthy, I can assume he's capable of running his own life. I don't know enough about Saverin, nor so little about the world, that I would say his decision is stupid. Nor will I be happy if something bad happens to him.