An Old School Catholic Message Board

Steubie Fights Back

add

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337280648' post='2431774']
Huh. A child can be covered until they are 26? Since when? That must be pretty recent. In fact wasn't that law passed around the same time as Obamacare?
[/quote]

that is part of Obamacare actually, it is one of the few provisions that have already gone into effect. There are good parts to the healthcare reform law, the problem is the bad parts are REALLY bad for certain groups (catholics for instance).

dairygirl4u2c

their premium increase could just be because preexisting conditions have to be included... and of course, because the premum amount is increased, sure.

the issue with obamacare is if big corporations etc can reduce costs and do things cheaper. also they're expecting the insurance mandate to help raise revenue, with the penalty too.
some obamacare architects (the law was written by big corporations) have admitted part of the plan is for smaller enterprises to be forced out.
mcdonalds said they wouldn't be able to give 10k coverage to their employees. preexisting conditions and increased coverage, perhaps. this stubenville thing might just be another example of a mcdonalds.

it does make some economic sense to not give mcdonalds or whoever, money for taking care of healthy people. i mean, to some extent, it is a free country, and it does make ecnomic sense to both mcdonalds and teh employee. but it could be pooled with others to help reduce overall costs, and less of a boon for mcdonalds who doesn't have to pay out much for their young or decent workforce

the question will be what triumphs on balance.... big corporations etc cutting costs, or an increased demand pushing premiums up etc?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Groo the Wanderer

except that one of the false promises of [s]antichrist[/s]obamacare is lowered cost ie lower premiums.

aint happening. seeing the opposite all over the place

dairygirl4u2c

well, it'd make sense if mcdonalds or that business that has to go under, got higher premiums. the questions is how it all comes together on balance.

interesting article about the guy sho said it decreases premiums, now says merky stuff.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/03/22/how-obamacare-dramatically-increases-the-cost-of-insurance-for-young-workers/

i admit i don't know the answer.

[quote name='inunionwithrome' timestamp='1337276467' post='2431724']
A child can be covered on thier parent's insurance until they are 26. So, since most students have graduated by then, I think that is good. However, I believe that the faculty should be dropped as well so there is moral compliance.
[/quote]

I know one thing ... if I had been (way back then) going to Franciscan U, and this happened I would have been stuck with no healthcare whatsoever. That is bad. Especially for poorer students (where the parents do not have insurance or have medicaid -- a young teen ends up off of medicaid quickly due to mimimum wage work).

I think it is bad policy, but alas that is a battle for current students (especially those seriously affected by the policy) to fight.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1337325688' post='2432137']
I know one thing ... if I had been (way back then) going to Franciscan U, and this happened I would have been stuck with no healthcare whatsoever.
[/quote]

that is inaccurate. you would have had no health insurance.

c'mon peeps. let's not be sloppy like journalists and politicians. health care and health insurance are two entirely different things.

anyone without health insurance can get free critical care (and a whole lotta non-critical) by walking into any ER or public clinic. I've seen it personally at both JPS and Parkland

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1337335769' post='2432146']

c'mon peeps. let's not be sloppy like journalists and politicians. health care and health insurance are two entirely different things.

[b]anyone without health insurance can get free critical care (and a whole lotta non-critical) by walking into any ER or public clinic. I've seen it personally at both JPS and Parkland[/b]
[/quote]

This is true. Hospitals plan and budget for this. Hospitals also offer free public healthcare as part of charitable giving the the community. Hospitals extend financial assistance and discounts to uninsured patients and underwrite vital services that do not pay for themselves such as community clinics, research and education.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1337335769' post='2432146']

anyone without health insurance can get free critical care (and a whole lotta non-critical) by walking into any ER or public clinic. I've seen it personally at both JPS and Parkland
[/quote]

It's true you can walk into any ER. But you can't walk into an ER and demand a free pap smear or mammogram or that they screen you for diabetes. Getting people access to preventative healthcare is the key to driving down healthcare costs. Also just walking into an ER without the insurance and the ability to pay is not a good plan for people who value their credit score. If you are on welfare and somehow don't qualify for Medicaid then sure it won't hurt you.

But if you are a homeowner (or ever hope to be one), want to get past employer credit checks to get hired, or need to qualify for student loans, large medical bills in collections can really be a negative. There are even hospitals that will sue you and take you to court (their argument being, if you don't more or less live in the projects and you own things like a car, you can pay the $100,000 bill). They do make payment plans but for instance at the hospital where I had my d&c, 6 months is the max payment period. If you have a $18,000 surgical bill that's $3,000 a month. If you can't pay it off in 6 months it goes to collections.

Norseman82

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1337302134' post='2431992']
except that one of the false promises of [s]antichrist[/s]obamacare is lowered cost ie lower premiums.

aint happening. seeing the opposite all over the place
[/quote]

They are putting their eggs in the basket of believing that, because of the mandate, younger, healthier people who they believe currently do not believe they need insurance, will buy insurance, thus increasing the pool of people covering the expenses. Of course, with group insurance, if a company's mean age for employees is older, you will naturally have a higher premium rate for that group as opposed to the company that has a younger mean age, so what would the next step be - setting age quotas for individual companies?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337442926' post='2432638']
It's true you can walk into any ER. But you can't walk into an ER and demand a free pap smear or mammogram or that they screen you for diabetes. Getting people access to preventative healthcare is the key to driving down healthcare costs. Also just walking into an ER without the insurance and the ability to pay is not a good plan for people who value their credit score. If you are on welfare and somehow don't qualify for Medicaid then sure it won't hurt you.

But if you are a homeowner (or ever hope to be one), want to get past employer credit checks to get hired, or need to qualify for student loans, large medical bills in collections can really be a negative. There are even hospitals that will sue you and take you to court (their argument being, if you don't more or less live in the projects and you own things like a car, you can pay the $100,000 bill). They do make payment plans but for instance at the hospital where I had my d&c, 6 months is the max payment period. If you have a $18,000 surgical bill that's $3,000 a month. If you can't pay it off in 6 months it goes to collections.
[/quote]

Collections can't get blood out of a stone.

The Obama Administration has mandated that all health insurance plans must cover “women’s health services” including contraception, sterilization, and abortion-causing medications as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Up to this time, Franciscan University has specifically excluded these services and products from its student health insurance policy, and we will not participate in a plan that requires us to violate the consistent teachings of the Catholic Church on the sacredness of human life.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1337481911' post='2432836']
Collections can't get blood out of a stone.
[/quote]

True, but they can destroy your credit score long-term, which given what we use credit scores for is a pretty tragic thing to happen to a young person (or any person) who happened to get sick.

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337526196' post='2432942']

True, but they can destroy your credit score long-term, which given what we use credit scores for is a pretty tragic thing to happen to a young person (or any person) who happened to get sick.
[/quote]There is no right that a student is entitled to room and board, tuition, and health insurance.

If the school decides it can't afford it with fees paid, oh well. The parents and adult students are responsible for their own care.

If its a matter of family finances, maybe it should be a cheaper local college, live with parents, and purchase insurance from parents employer.

Edited by Anomaly

ThePenciledOne

Eh, I'm currently at FUS as a senior this upcoming fall semester and I normally had to take out a policy through the school for health insurance.

Luckily I (hopefully) won't need it next year, I have a good set of genes....

Otherwise, my opinion of it is pretty neutral, since it's just money and politics and all the rest.....

WASHINGTON -- A coalition of Roman Catholic entities in the nation's capital has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in an attempt to block the implementation of a health care reform mandate forcing the institutions to provide health insurance covering contraception and other medical procedures that run counter to church teachings.

The Jones Day law firm, which filed suit in United States District Court for the District of Columbia, is representing the coalition that includes Catholic University of America, the Archdiocese of Washington, the Consortium of Catholic Academies, Archbishop Carroll High School and Catholic Charities of D.C.

As The Associated Press reported, dozens of Roman Catholic institutions sued the Obama administration over its health insurance mandate on Monday, including the University of Notre Dame and the Archdiocese of New York.