An Old School Catholic Message Board

Steubie Fights Back

add

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/15/catholic-university-drops-student-health-insurance-cites-obamacare/

Take a stand, the Obama wars have begun

Who's side are you on?

I note that they only dropped the student health insurance... not the insurance the faculty and administrators have. I wonder why.

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337218071' post='2431522']
I note that they only dropped the student health insurance... not the insurance the faculty and administrators have. I wonder why.
[/quote]

As a student I would love to know the answer to that myself.

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337218071' post='2431522']
[/quote]

Economics

[quote name='mortify' timestamp='1337224702' post='2431555']
Economics
[/quote]

I think this is probably the case, given how much the student policies were increasing in cost, but if so why do they have to throw in the "we're being forced to choose between faith and insurance" bit. Clearly if that were the main concern they would drop the faculty insurance too. When they do this they just paint a big bullseye on all of us for our opponents to pick at...

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337225175' post='2431557']
I think this is probably the case, given how much the student policies were increasing in cost, but if so why do they have to throw in the "we're being forced to choose between faith and insurance" bit. Clearly if that were the main concern they would drop the faculty insurance too. When they do this they just paint a big bullseye on all of us for our opponents to pick at...
[/quote]

I'm guessing that at a conservative Catholic college saying 'we're being forces by the accursed Obama' is more popular than 'we need to make an unpopular budget cut'

I don't think they're required to offer insurance to students, are they? Most students are eligible to join their parents' plan(s).

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1337225648' post='2431561']
I don't think they're required to offer insurance to students, are they? Most students are eligible to join their parents' plan(s).
[/quote][quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1337225648' post='2431561']
[/quote]

Why would it matter? If it's so morally egregious that they are going to dump the students then it should be just as morally egregious to retain the faculty on the plan. If that's against the law then they should shut down, right? Isn't that what the church has been threatening to do for some time now?

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337227250' post='2431574']
Why would it matter? If it's so morally egregious that they are going to dump the students then it should be just as morally egregious to retain the faculty on the plan. If that's against the law then they should shut down, right? Isn't that what the church has been threatening to do for some time now?
[/quote]As far as I know, they have a year to comply for faculty and if they don't then they will be fined into oblivion.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1337227371' post='2431575']
As far as I know, they have a year to comply for faculty and if they don't then they will be fined into oblivion.
[/quote][quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1337227371' post='2431575']
As far as I know, they have a year to comply for faculty and if they don't then they will be fined into oblivion.
[/quote]

Maybe. But something about this doesn't smell right. If it was such a moral imperative to drop the students now then the same should apply to faculty and staff. If they are dropping the students because they need to cut costs then they should admit that rather than blame it on the mandate.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337227708' post='2431578']
Maybe. But something about this doesn't smell right. If it was such a moral imperative to drop the students now then the same should apply to faculty and staff. If they are dropping the students because they need to cut costs then they should admit that rather than blame it on the mandate.
[/quote]No, I don't think it was simply economics.

As far as I understand it, they can drop the students without penalty. If they drop faculty and staff they'll incur nasty penalties that would drive them bankrupt. The reason they're dropping the insurance at all is because they don't believe in what it has to offer, but they don't really have a choice whether they drop it for faculty or not.

I think the problem is with the wording of the article. It mentions the "contraceptive mandate" and then goes into other things, but I think the former is the biggest issue.

Here's what CNN says: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/16/college-drops-health-care-plan-over-religious-objections-to-new-law/

And this is amazing: Sofio said that the school sent letters about its decision to students and parents in April and that it has received overwhelming support from both constituencies. Ninety-five percent of students at the university are Catholic, he said."

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1337225175' post='2431557']
[/quote]

In the video posted, the VP admits it was a combination of faith and economics

inunionwithrome

A child can be covered on thier parent's insurance until they are 26. So, since most students have graduated by then, I think that is good. However, I believe that the faculty should be dropped as well so there is moral compliance.

[quote name='inunionwithrome' timestamp='1337276467' post='2431724']
A child can be covered on thier parent's insurance until they are 26. So, since most students have graduated by then, I think that is good. However, I believe that the faculty should be dropped as well so there is moral compliance.
[/quote]

Huh. A child can be covered until they are 26? Since when? That must be pretty recent. In fact wasn't that law passed around the same time as Obamacare?