An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do You All Believe In Christ?

blacksheep

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1337987704' post='2434884']
Is this where we post ponies? I can't seem to find that thread.
[/quote]

Don't you dare...

Because the Gospel is incorruptibly beautiful and life giving, and there is nothing in creation, in history, in culture, or in art more beautiful than Christ. Beauty and truth are found in many places, but in Christ they are incarnate, and I have never seen, heard, or read anything more beautiful than Christ. There is no sin, scandal, or stupidity among men that can ever make Christ less beautiful to me. He shuts the mouths of the powerful and reveals mysteries to the humble.

Edited by Era Might

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1338413847' post='2438117']
Because the Gospel is incorruptibly beautiful and life giving, and there is nothing in creation, in history, in culture, or in art more beautiful than Christ. Beauty and truth are found in many places, but in Christ they are incarnate, and I have never seen, heard, or read anything more beautiful than Christ. There is no sin, scandal, or stupidity among men that can ever make Christ less beautiful to me. He shuts the mouths of the powerful and reveals mysteries to the humble.
[/quote]
Dang, bro.

I believe in Christ, in the first place, because I believe in God. Once one has concluded through reason that God exists, and has determined the necessity of divine revelation, one must examine the various monotheistic religions that claim divine revelation. Now this revelation could either be continuous (like in the Old Covenant) or historical (like in modern Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). As there is little evidence for divine revelation in the modern world, it seems that historical revelation is most likely. Now, an omnipotent and omniscient God would not reveal himself definitively to man with no way to interpret His revelation or hand it on definitively to subsequent generations. Of all the monotheistic religions claiming divine revelation, only the Catholic Church has the proper mechanism--the infallible teaching authority of the pope and bishops--for interpreting past divine revelation. This, combined with the historical resurrection as proof that Christ was indeed God revealing Himself to man, will lead to the conclusion that the Catholic faith is the true religion from God.

Of course, the act of faith itself is a supernatural one--an intellectual assent under the influence of divine grace.