An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do You All Believe In Christ?

blacksheep

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1336522127' post='2428920']
Because MIkolbe said so.
[/quote]
Beaver dam it all Jim I was going to put that on my list but forgot.

beatitude

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1336514293' post='2428857']
We each come to God in our own way and in our own time, each path is different and one is not less valuable than another. God calls, we answer thru the heart, mind and soul we have been given.
[/quote]

I didn't say that any way was more valuable than another.

My experience of the sacraments and my prayer life brought home to me the reality of Christ without whom I can do NOTHING.

S.

Let me add...with the birth of my first child came a very concrete moment of clarity. One of my biggest unanswered questions was why God made man. The moment my son was born, that question was answered. I looked at my son with an overwhelming love that I could not explain. He has done nothing for this love, yet I love him without limits. I knew then how God, the Father, and Christ, the Son, love me and all people...and why God created man. Many things made REAL sense.

Our doula told us that her husband was an atheist until their first child was born.

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1336532097' post='2428984']
Martyrdom is for a select few, the rest are saints or ordinary christians.
[/quote]

True. But I meant that if I was in Jesus' position, I don't think I could have done (or even imagine myself doing) the things he did. I'm too uncaring/not caring enough. I would have run away, taken advantage of my powers, something like that.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1336562467' post='2429046']
True. But I meant that if I was in Jesus' position, I don't think I could have done (or even imagine myself doing) the things he did. I'm too uncaring/not caring enough. I would have run away, taken advantage of my powers, something like that.
[/quote]
He is God-man, here to redeem us, to bring us to the Father, His reason to be. He could do no other.

fides' Jack

Honestly, I think my main reason is found in the philosophy of the matter.

In science, the main reason behind the push of the idea of an infinite number of alternate realities is that the likelihood of a universe coming into existence through a "big bang" is so small that they actually needed to account for an infinite number of chances for it to happen even once. For the universe to exist without an infinite number of alternate realities, it would have had to have been by design.

Ahkam's razor - let's stop trying to make bad science fit every single philosophy, and just accept what's right in front of us.

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1336672295' post='2429471']

In science, the main reason behind the push of the idea of an infinite number of alternate realities is that the likelihood of a universe coming into existence through a "big bang" is so small that they actually needed to account for an infinite number of chances for it to happen even once. For the universe to exist without an infinite number of alternate realities, it would have had to have been by design.

Ahkam's razor - let's stop trying to make bad science fit every single philosophy, and just accept what's right in front of us.
[/quote]

oh come on!! if I want to believe in multiverses, even though they may seem unlikely and are completely outside the realm of scientific proof, i will believe in multiverses!!! :P

Laudate_Dominum

[/quote]
1. Ockham's Razor is basically a heuristic, not a strict logical principle. 2. Consider the cosmos in terms of Kolmogorov complexity and positing a multiverse is more parsimonious. Et cetera. More pontifications upon request. 3. I hereby declare your claims about "the main reason behind" multiverse hypotheses to be wrong. Doc dump upon request. 4. Sixpence: The general subject of teh multiverse is not completely outside the realm of scientific inquiry. Doc dump upon request.

Mark of the Cross

[/quote]
Hawking only exists through the per chance fame of his wheel chair and synthetic voice.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1336683545' post='2429543']
Hawking only exists through the per chance fame of his wheel chair and synthetic voice.
[/quote]
Hawking is a Boltzmann brain and we're all just characters in his dream.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1336674157' post='2429485']
why? Because I believe in love.
[/quote]

That's cute, Betty. Is that how you first got your husband to fall for you?

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1336678706' post='2429517']
3. .....multiverse hypotheses ... [i][b]Doc dump upon request. [/b][/i]
[/quote]

I humbly request.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1336562467' post='2429046']
[/quote]

your caring enough to be @ phatmass, thats enough for me :) Welcome Kia ora, be fruitfull and multiply. and chickety check out thiz song, faith child - unstoppable, if you would like to that is, there iz no death penalty if you don't lol

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye