An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Boys And Girls Play Together?

Papist

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1335815564' post='2425297']
And the reaction people have when hearing a man was abused by his wife. People will chuckle, which is far from the case when hearing a woman was abused by her husband.
[/quote]

RIght, as if women are too docile and weak to cause harm to a "real man." The mockery of women abusing men is demeaning to both sexes.

Norseman82

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1335561155' post='2424089']
what about boxing can that also be co-ed, [/quote]

Well, at the gym I go to, the boxing classes are co-ed, and when people stay behind to spar, there have been some co-ed sparring matches.

Norseman82

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1335702601' post='2424721']
Or instead of worrying about being called a pervert, we treat female athletes that choose to compete in co-ed or male-dominated sports just like any other athlete? An athletic contest is absolutely no place for chivalry. As long as you're not touching her in a way that isn't appropriate for a match, you're fine.

As opposed to what, womanliness? Because women can't be competitive and men can't have a strong sense of teamwork? That all of this whining and complaining about equal treatment is somehow a "womanly" quality that will tarnish the precious developing manhood of this 13-year-old boy?
[/quote]

True story: the ice hockey league I play in has women players. One team we play against includes some wives and girlfriends of the Chicago Blackhawks. In one game one of my teammates got a penalty for taking down Duncan Keith's wife.

Mark of the Cross

And the reaction people have when hearing a man was abused by his wife. People will chuckle, which is far from the case when hearing a woman was abused by her husband.
[/quote]
Whose been laughing at me?

fides' Jack

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1335832427' post='2425440']
RIght, as if women are too docile and weak to cause harm to a "real man." The mockery of women abusing men is demeaning to both sexes.
[/quote]

I think it's more that the injustice - not necessarily physical damage - is worse when a man abuses a woman. Men are supposed to be the natural protectors (physically) of women, but the reverse is not true.

From that idea, mocking proceeds, even perhaps inappropriately.

cmotherofpirl

[/quote]

A friend of mine was attacked by his wife when she was in a psychotic rage. His kids called me saying mummy was killing daddy. She hit him from behind, he fell between the dresser and the bed, where she sat on him beating him senseless until several big cops dragged her out kicking and screaming. She got a week in the psych ward and he lost his hearing in one ear.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1335895648' post='2425699']
A friend of mine was attacked by his wife when she was in a psychotic rage. His kids called me saying mummy was killing daddy. She hit him from behind, he fell between the dresser and the bed, where she sat on him beating him senseless until several big cops dragged her out kicking and screaming. She got a week in the psych ward and he lost his hearing in one ear.
[/quote]

Whoa. That's awful. My brother has been on the receiving end. Fortunately, he is much bigger than she.

• 3 weeks later...
inunionwithrome

I don't see why not. I played baseball with the boys before we knew about girls leagues. I wasn't great, I wasn't terribly, just okay. It was about learning the sportsmanship and playing as a team more than anything else. Quite frankly, the girls might be nicer to him too. That was certainly my case when I played with boys.