An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Boys And Girls Play Together?

Papist

[quote]
Boy field hockey star kicked off girls' team for being 'too good'
Published April 26, 2012

SOUTHAMPTON, NY – A 13-year-old Long Island boy who has been the star of a local high school girls' field hockey team for the past two years has been kicked off the team for being too dominant of a player, MyFoxNY reports.

Keeling Pilaro was told he could no longer play for Southampton High School's varsity girls' field hockey team this year after becoming the team's star over the past two years.

Section 11, which oversees Suffolk County's high school sports, determined that as a boy, Keeling had too significant an advantage over the other players.

"(Keeling is) having a significant adverse effect on some of his opposing female players," Section 11 claimed according to MyFoxNY. "The rules state he would be allowed to play if he wasn't the dominant player."

Section 11's executive director, Ed Cinelli, told MyFoxNY, "As a sport, it's a girls sport. When a boy plays, it leads the way for other male players to come in and take over."

Keeling learned to play field hockey while in Ireland, where it is also a men's sport. At 4 feet, 8 inches tall and 82 pounds, he says he does not feel he is at an advantage, or that he is even significantly better than his opponents. He says some of the girls he has played against are faster and stronger than he is. "I do hope they let me play," he told MyFoxNY. "I really like these girls -- they are my family."

Keeling and his parents have already lost his initial appeal, but they will plead their case again in May.

Read more: [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/26/boy-field-hockey-star-kicked-off-high-school-girl-team-for-being-too-good/#ixzz1t9NluaCz"]http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1t9NluaCz[/url]
[/quote]

I don't think this is discrimination. If so, it would be discriminating against his skills, not his gender. I think this would never have been an issue if the boy was a terrible player. Also, if it is discriminating against his skills, could this not set a precedent to boot a dominate skilled girl? If so, Michael Jordan would have gotten kicked out of the NBA.

However, I do see a double standard. There are cases after cases of girls being allowed to tryout/play on boys teams usually b/c there is no girls team available. Well, the case is the same for this boy and field hockey.

Edited by Papist

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1335462693' post='2423658']
Women are allowed to play sports? When did we let that happen?
[/quote]

LOL!

Makes me think of this good joke.

Why don't women know how to ski?

Because there's no snow between the bedroom and the kitchen!

Basilisa Marie

Hmm. Part of the problem is that it's easier for boys to build bulky muscle, while it's easier for women to build leaner muscle. So it's not quite fair to have men and women always competing together in the same sports. They do have a point - if teams are allowed to be co-ed, the better players will naturally get all the positions, and if it's easier for men to be stronger players then women, soon all the women will be effectively forced out.

However...it's not like he's some 6ft, 200lb giant. He's a lightweight teenage boy, probably quite similar height and weight to the girls on the team. And since there aren't any male field hockey teams, I don't see a problem with him playing. Women who wrestle only do so in their proper weight classes. Why not apply the same principle to this situation? If he's not allowed to play simply because girls are intimidated by a guy, the girls need to freaking get over themselves and view him as nothing other than another athlete.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335471904' post='2423700']
LOL!

Makes me think of this good joke.

Why don't women know how to ski?

Because there's no snow between the bedroom and the kitchen!
[/quote]

Kujo, I love you. You get a hug.

You know, I think this is one of the threads I can speak on without getting mauled! Too bad Basilisa Marie already stated my thoughts on the matter. :P

I was about to go to bed. Then I saw FP co[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]m[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]mented on this thread.[/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]Then I was disappointed when he didn't say so[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]mething soul-crushingly condescending.[/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]Goodnight Pha[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]m![/background][/color]

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1335494824' post='2423811']
Hmm. Part of the problem is that it's easier for boys to build bulky muscle, while it's easier for women to build leaner muscle. So it's not quite fair to have men and women always competing together in the same sports. They do have a point - if teams are allowed to be co-ed, the better players will naturally get all the positions, and if it's easier for men to be stronger players then women, soon all the women will be effectively forced out.

However...it's not like he's some 6ft, 200lb giant. He's a lightweight teenage boy, probably quite similar height and weight to the girls on the team. And since there aren't any male field hockey teams, I don't see a problem with him playing. Women who wrestle only do so in their proper weight classes. Why not apply the same principle to this situation? If he's not allowed to play simply because girls are intimidated by a guy, the girls need to freaking get over themselves and view him as nothing other than another athlete.
[/quote]
Good points. I think life would be easier all around if boys and girls played sports separately. I know that is not a popular opinion in our society, but I think it would be best. Boys and girls are different. One is not better than the other, but still they are different.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1335498133' post='2423832']
Kujo, I love you. You get a hug.

You know, I think this is one of the threads I can speak on without getting mauled! Too bad Basilisa Marie already stated my thoughts on the matter. :P
[/quote]
Then give her props.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335499295' post='2423833']
I was about to go to bed. Then I saw FP co[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]m[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]mented on this thread.[/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]Then I was disappointed when he didn't say so[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]mething soul-crushingly condescending.[/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]Goodnight Pha[/background][/color][color=#000000][background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]m![/background][/color]
[/quote]
I'm shocked as well. Perhaps our little boy is growing up. :cry:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1335530567' post='2423900']
I'm shocked as well. Perhaps our little boy is growing up. :cry:
[/quote]

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335499295' post='2423833']

[/quote]

Well, I'm sorry to have disappointed you. I'll try harder next time.

I really enjoy co-ed sports.

I think the best solution to co-ed sports is to have an even number of male and female players of both teams on the field at any time. This is how they run games of Ultimate. 7 on 7 four men 3 women on the field for each team at a time. Teams can agree to 5/2 per team if necessary due to the number of women (typically more men are on a team than women).

When it comes to man on man defense the women just mark the other women and the men mark the other men.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

what about boxing can that also be co-ed, and N.F.L. Like i played teddy bear tea party with girls in the cubby house when i was 3-9. I remember a soccer team i played against that had 1 girl playing for them and she was very good but that was like under 13s. Some sports can quota for this but some can't paticularily when you get to lets say the under 15s and above. Men as a general rule are far stronger and faster, this is not discriminatory just a natural law, but than again the laws of nature to the world at present seem to only be on animal channel so yes a female predator can beat male prey and even put up a good fight against another male predator.Monkey brain syndrome i will call it. And i hear men are becoming less manly and more dangerously spitefull,the days of 'no man knows fury like a womens scorn may end up no man knows fury like his best buddies back stabbing' And since i'm told men are getting less manly than possibly the women will start boxing and knock out there supposed cheating boyfriend out of pure jealousy when arriving home late one night and turn into that which they hate the most, that being the few men that do batter there wives. But than God forbid and hopefully that too will only be a few. And even so do i smell a crumbling of the kingdoms of the world, maybe sports will be wiped out due to idol worship ? The big sports $'s are making players sporty because they wan't the big $'s instead of sporty for desiring to be sporty, one is better one is worse, i wonder which one that is ?

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I do believe that the their IS a double standard...but there are lots of those in life...A female wrestler may do extremely well, and win a few matches and she is applauded, However it is overlooked that maybe a conservative male wrestler she just beat has a problem with actually doing some of the holds on a female...he's told to toughen up...A female intimidating a male in a prominently male sport is supported, while in this case a male of approximate same size and weight as females he's playing against intimidates some females and does well and that's bad...??? :flex: It sounds as if the boy could play if he wasn't good...or not the "dominant player" so maybe team strategy needs to be developed for more teamwork??? or maybe limit the time he can play (although I still don't like option #2)

feminism irritates me because of double standards like this...you have a male group you must let females join or your sexist...we have a female group a male trying to join us is intimidating and does not let us be women... :cuss:

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

no need to fear tho all ye sport enjoyers,coz you only pull apart an engine to recondition it and make it new or even recondition and add some wow extras that make the engine faster.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1335561311' post='2424093']
I do believe that the their IS a double standard...but there are lots of those in life...A female wrestler may do extremely well, and win a few matches and she is applauded, However it is overlooked that maybe a conservative male wrestler she just beat has a problem with actually doing some of the holds on a female...he's told to toughen up...A female intimidating a male in a prominently male sport is supported, while in this case a male of approximate same size and weight as females he's playing against intimidates some females and does well and that's bad...??? :flex: It sounds as if the boy could play if he wasn't good...or not the "dominant player" so maybe team strategy needs to be developed for more teamwork??? or maybe limit the time he can play (although I still don't like option #2)

feminism irritates me because of double standards like this...you have a male group you must let females join or your sexist...we have a female group a male trying to join us is intimidating and does not let us be women... :cuss:
[/quote]

I love women that love being a women so i give this post a big thumbs up. God created a women to be a women and man to be a man, and a monkey to be a monkey :) Sorry to anyone that thinketh such a comment to be a bit dry, the truth is hard to swallow but sweet to your belly once digested. This does not mean women can't hold a position of authority, i'm sure if God ever gets me a wife she will hold an equal position of authority [u]beside [/u]me. And also my female friends i have always respected as equal. And if i have a female boss surely i must obey unless ordered to break a commandment or sin. Even if i where to enter the army and had a female officer i shall obey unless again i was ordered to sin or break a commandment. I believe in womens lib, but i do not believe in feminism. Womens lib states women can box, but feminism states women should box with men, feminism possibly is the brain child of angry lesbians that have had so many unsuccesful sexual relationships with other women they actually hate women or wan't to destroy men, or possibly the other side of the coin homo-sexuals trying to destroy womenhood, or both.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Basilisa Marie

There's more to feminism than disgusting caricatures. I won't get into the finer points, since I have in other threads in the past, and I'd rather not hijack the thread.