An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Rants

Socrates

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1336109265' post='2426916']
I like phatmass. I like reading the opposing viewpoints of the ideal. I sometimes feel like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting without being smart like him and poo.
[/quote]

This guy?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTzyU5MFgM[/media]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1336170047' post='2427181']
[color=#282828]Anarchism like anarcho-capitalism does not mean absence of law, or even of law enforcement. It is a different means of organization.[/color][/quote]

How under a Voluntaryism, or voluntarism society would law enforcement, [i]enforce[/i] law? Be it an arrest to a conviction, how would the authority of such of body seek justice if the accused did not recognize the authority of that body? It would appear that a Voluntaryism society would not be able to enforce law on the unwilling, for it would have no power to use coercion, and it would have no power over any individual unless it was expressly and strictly given that authority by the consent of the individual.

Man is fallen, when faced with the consequences for the actions of his sins often he runs away from taking responsibility for those actions. So again how would a Voluntaryism society bring a murderer to justice if he did not recognize/rejected its authority over him, and it had no power to coerce the individual to face 'some form of court system'?

Winchester

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1336796836' post='2429993']
How under a Voluntaryism, or voluntarism society would law enforcement, [i]enforce[/i] law? Be it an arrest to a conviction, how would the authority of such of body seek justice if the accused did not recognize the authority of that body? It would appear that a Voluntaryism society would not be able to enforce law on the unwilling, for it would have no power to use coercion, and it would have no power over any individual unless it was expressly and strictly given that authority by the consent of the individual.

Man is fallen, when faced with the consequences for the actions of his sins often he runs away from taking responsibility for those actions. So again how would a Voluntaryism society bring a murderer to justice if he did not recognize/rejected its authority over him, and it had no power to coerce the individual to face 'some form of court system'?
[/quote]
Anyone would have the right to subdue a murderer. Coercion would be the initiation of violence. However, having a mob isn't conducive to the peace, so it's perfectly acceptable, even desirable, to have a body of law enforcement (essentially hired) use violence to apprehend a murderer.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/kinsella/kinsella15.html#ref
http://www.sobran.com/reluctant.shtml

There's a lot of discussion about how a voluntary society would work (or not work). It's up for debate how practical the moral stance really is in a fallen world. That won't make the state good, but perhaps preferable to the lack of a state. This world will always be a struggle. Letting the Mitts and Obamas of the world continually accrue power isn't struggling; it's surrendering.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to Ranting on my blog, "[url="http://www.thegregorianrant.com"]Gregorian Rants[/url]" again. My latest ought to keep you bleedin' hearts good an' pist.

Vincent Vega

I'll just say (in no connection to the above post) that I find it very interesting that there are people who believe that the government is on the verge of throwing Catholics in jail, but at the same time, want the very same government to be able to decide who may and may not marry.
Curious.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

havok579257

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1337574184' post='2433184']
I'll just say (in no connection to the above post) that I find it very interesting that there are people who believe that the government is on the verge of throwing Catholics in jail, but at the same time, want the very same government to be able to decide who may and may not marry.
Curious.
[/quote]

great point.

havok579257

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1337570003' post='2433166']
Finally got around to Ranting on my blog, "[url="http://www.thegregorianrant.com"]Gregorian Rants[/url]" again. My latest ought to keep you bleedin' hearts good an' pist.
[/quote]

i read your first paragraph and i have to ask, how exactly is that being catholic? trust me, i don't like obama and would never vote for him but your first paragraph seems intended to just insult. throwing insults i wouldn't say is something we should be doing.

talking about obamas gay marriage stance is fine but saying insults not very christian.

havok579257

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1337613649' post='2433232']
you don't understand... truth is the ultimate charity.

:|
[/quote]

truth is charity. insults are not.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1337620872' post='2433252']
truth is charity. insults are not.
[/quote]

if you were being sarcastic then just ignore my post. hard to discern on the internet.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1337574184' post='2433184']
Curious.
[/quote]I don't want the government to decide...I want it to confirm what has already been decided by a variety of factors, uphold that prior decision, and not try to change it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1334783317' post='2420383']
I've gotten back to rantin' and ravin' about the Constitution, the HHS Mandate, those damned liberals, and much more in my blog [url="http://www.thegregorianrant.com"]Gregorian Rants[/url].

Y'all are welcome to sign in to comment, criticize, tear my opinions apart - just as long as it's kept charitable and on-topic.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Socrates, I was reading your blog, and may I just say this: I [i]love [/i]you. We're some of the few people here that have these political beliefs, and you are simply amazing.

By the way, I agree: Ted Nugent is [i]a[/i]wesome! I found his speech at the NRA meeting quite inspiring, if not thought-provoking.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1337625221' post='2433266']
I don't want the government to decide...I want it to confirm what has already been decided by a variety of factors, uphold that prior decision, and not try to change it.
[/quote]
I'd be careful with that logic. Seems you could apply that to Roe v Wade pretty easily.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1337632245' post='2433293']
well, isn't this bromantic!
[/quote]

I will gladly have a bromance with one of the few conservatives that has traditional conservative values here. Completely platonic, of course.