An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Rants

Socrates

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335986279' post='2426147']
[url="http://www.coss.fsu.edu/economics/sites/coss.fsu.edu.economics/files/users/bbenson/spontaneous-1989.pdf"]http://www.coss.fsu....aneous-1989.pdf[/url]
[/quote]
I would rather be castrated by Michael J. Fox than click on a link with those three letters in it.

fides' Jack

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1335988985' post='2426161']
I would rather be castrated by Michael J. Fox than click on a link with those three letters in it.
[/quote]

You mean edu?

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1335990183' post='2426164']
You mean edu?
[/quote]

fsu

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334815633' post='2420515']
Miss you around here. No one calls me an idiot-liberal-pansy quite like you.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I've tried, but I just can't compete. I'll do my best in his absence, though.

Winchester

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1335988985' post='2426161']
[/quote]
You should get a virus protection program. Then you could open them without worry.

Or is this really some bizarre prejudice against FSU?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335994765' post='2426196']
You should get a virus protection program. Then you could open them without worry.

Or is this really some bizarre prejudice against FSU?
[/quote]

You mean Tallahanasty State?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335996104' post='2426214']
How would I know?
[/quote]

How does one know anything?

Winchester

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1335996384' post='2426217']
How does one know anything?
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRewcZXEMb8[/media]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335997356' post='2426219']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRewcZXEMb8[/media]
[/quote]

[img]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/SM1580~Screw-You-Hippie-Posters.jpg[/img]

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1335995986' post='2426212']
You mean Tallahanasty State?
[/quote]
Thank you for giving me something that I can give props to.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1336000798' post='2426249']
Thank you for giving me something that I can give props to.
[/quote]

Haha. I had friends who came to UNC from Florida and that was their nickname for it.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335966788' post='2426048']
Anarchism is nothing more than voluntary society. How is that contrary to scripture?
[/quote]
Last I checked, anarchism involved the objective of the complete abolition of the state, or believing the state in itself is intrinsically illegitimate. Plenty of people are involved in "voluntary society" who are not in any way anarchists. Changing the definition of words to fit your purposes won't work here.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1335985050' post='2426140']
Authority is an important word. No one has authority to command immorality. I needn't obey any law which has not the character of justice.

That passage does not set a requirement to have a state, merely that one should obey "all human authority". See above restriction regarding authority. So long as I do not use my freedom as a cover for evil, I am to live as a free person. We are clearly free to set up voluntary societies. If that passage prescribed the existence of a state, anyone living outside of a state would be a sin. You couldn't explore. You would have to fly under the flag of a nation on the high seas, or risk your immortal soul.

The writer of that passage died whilst not submitting to a human power. Apparently, he did not intend for us to submit to mere power, but only to authority.
[/quote]
Saint Peter in that epistle specifically mentioned the emperor. If you think the Roman emperor in the early Christian era was some kind of benign voluntary authority, you need a serious lesson in history. Yet St. Peter said we are to be subject to him. Obviously, we are not commanded to obey blatantly unjust laws which command us to do objectively immoral things (such as deny Christ, or worship the emperor as god.) However, even Christ said "to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" when asked about whether to pay the Roman tax (which helped finance a state that oppressed the Jews), and stated that Pilate (who had Him crucified) had authority given to Him by God.

The point is not that we should not oppose unjust laws, or approve of everything the government does, but if the Roman state, by virtue of being a state, (as anarchism teaches) was in itself illegitimate and possessing no authority, Christ, Saint Peter, and Saint Paul would have simply said so, rather than teaching Christians to be subject to it. They were certainly no cowards when it came to preaching moral truth. Neither were they fools. If the state possessed no legitimate authority, they would have said so.

Winchester

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1336002870' post='2426256']
Saint Peter in that epistle specifically mentioned the emperor. If you think the Roman emperor in the early Christian era was some kind of benign voluntary authority,
[/quote]
I'm trying to figure out how in the floopy you could possibly get that from what I wrote.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1336006911' post='2426301']
I'm trying to figure out how in the floopy you could possibly get that from what I wrote.
[/quote]

Chucky chucky five dolla!