An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Define Yourself?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334770595' post='2420280']
Did I miss the point? Pretty much everyone has said Catholic (even Hasan!!!) but me... I thought we were talking strictly about nationalities.... :blink: I figured Catholic was kind of a given.
[/quote] :woot: I had to check Hasan's and my posts. We didn't identify as Catholic, but we do recognize the Catholic culture that influences us. But even budge recognized her Catholic culture, we all just appreciate it differently. Plus, I'd think Latino Catholic culture is vastly different then whay you'd experience in Pittsburg. Cubano's don't have a 'thing' for Our Lady of Guadelupe either. :hehe:

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334772535' post='2420306']
Plus, I'd think Latino Catholic culture is vastly different then whay you'd experience in Pittsburg. [/quote]

This is true. lol.. very true.

cmotherofpirl

:woot: I had to check Hasan's and my posts. We didn't identify as Catholic, but we do recognize the Catholic culture that influences us. But even budge recognized her Catholic culture, we all just appreciate it differently. Plus, I'd think Latino Catholic culture is vastly different then whay you'd experience in Pittsburg. Cubano's don't have a 'thing' for Our Lady of Guadelupe either. :hehe:
[/quote] No we are more Our Lady of Czestochowa :)

IcePrincessKRS

:woot: I had to check Hasan's and my posts. We didn't identify as Catholic, but we do recognize the Catholic culture that influences us. But even budge recognized her Catholic culture, we all just appreciate it differently. Plus, I'd think Latino Catholic culture is vastly different then whay you'd experience in Pittsburg. Cubano's don't have a 'thing' for Our Lady of Guadelupe either. :hehe:
[/quote]

I just meant that pretty much everyone had noted Catholic influence. Not that they all strictly identified AS Catholics.

Archaeology cat

If we're going just by regional culture, etc, then Southern explains me. I got irritated the first time someone called me a Yank when I lived in Egland. ;)

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1334771232' post='2420292']
My son has hair growing off his ears. :|
[/quote]
Your son is 60 years old?

MissScripture

Not out of his ears, but like off the back of his ears. It looks like he's turning into a werewolf or something.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1334774637' post='2420325']
If we're going just by regional culture, etc, then Southern explains me. I got irritated the first time someone called me a Yank when I lived in Egland. ;)
[/quote]Living in Florida, it irks the hell out of people when I call anybody who lives north of Florida's border "beaver dam Yankees". Sorry, Kentucky isn't even close to the real south. If it snows there every year, or snow on the ground lasts more than 4 hours, it's Yankee-ville.

My wife was born a Brit. Her relatives call me 'that bl**dy Yank'. Since they don't say Yankee, I'm good with it.

Did I miss the point? Pretty much everyone has said Catholic (even Hasan!!!) but me... I thought we were talking strictly about nationalities.... :blink: I figured Catholic was kind of a given.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hm. Guess we know which one of us is the better Catholic.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334778952' post='2420361']
Living in Florida, it irks the hell out of people when I call anybody who lives north of Florida's border "beaver dam Yankees". Sorry, Kentucky isn't even close to the real south. If it snows there every year, or snow on the ground lasts more than 4 hours, it's Yankee-ville.

My wife was born a Brit. Her relatives call me 'that bl**dy Yank'. Since they don't say Yankee, I'm good with it.
[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Map_of_the_Southern_United_States_modern_definition.png[/img]

Looks like the really real south consists of North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia and South Carolina. That would make sense as hose states made up the heart of the Confederacy. Your definition is a little odd since it excludes the main driving engine of Southern nationalism: South Carolina

I also refer you to Dixie:

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]In Dixie Land, where I was born in,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][b]early on one frosty mornin'[/b], [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land. [/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1334861091' post='2420732']
Your definition is a little odd since[/quote]Ohhh! :blush: Thank you. That must be why my personal irreverent definition irks the hell out of Georgians when I call them Yankees just because I happen to live in Florida without snow. :think: It's about the 'War'. Got it now. :like: So do you think they think that I think their great gandpa's wore blue?

I lived in Georgia for 9 years. They will fight you for daring to say that Georgia is not the heart and soul of the South. Ironically, the folks in GA considered TX part of the Southwest, separate from the true South. My friends here in TX take offense to that distinction.

fides' Jack

Yes, FQI gets upset when I call Georgia the South East, and Texas the South, even though geographically it's more accurate.