An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do You Define Yourself?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1334686722' post='2419578']
I'm not a practicing Catholic but I don't deny that being raised Catholic was a major force in forming who I am today and have no desire to change or expunge that influence.
[/quote]Amen, brother.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1334686722' post='2419578']
I'm not a practicing Catholic but I don't deny that being raised Catholic was a major force in forming who I am today and have no desire to change or expunge that influence.
[/quote]

Catholicism created a monster...

franciscanheart

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1334685702' post='2419549']
I am Catholic, then Texan, then American. I avoid racial/cultural definitions as much as possible. If I am asked I say 'yes' to whatever is offered up. If I have to check boxes on a form, I check them all. If I have to fill in the blank on a form I either put 'human' or 'Mesopotamian'.

and...I get really pissed when people call me names or say I am not Hispanic because I don't speak Spanish (yet)
[/quote]
Why (how) are we not friends?

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1334687350' post='2419591']
Why (how) are we not friends?
[/quote]

I thought we were :cheers:

franciscanheart

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1334688572' post='2419610']
I thought we were :cheers:
[/quote]
My bad. My memory smells of elderberries. :|

MissScripture

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1334689545' post='2419621']
My bad. My memory smells of elderberries. :|
[/quote]
She is not lying. :|

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334684057' post='2419519']
Hmmm... Probably... but also largely because of the way I was raised. My mom told me a couple times that growing up she was never really sure what comprised her her heritage 100% because her dad would say "We're Americans" and not delve into their heritage that much. She knew there was Polish on her mom's side (pretty much 100%) and some Irish on her dad's.
[/quote]

your mom's dad sounds like my parents. though my mom [s]is[/s] was extensively involved in genealogy, whenever we asked as kids, she just would say, "Heinz 57 Americans" - meaning that we're a mix, but always emphasized the "American" part.

now I know that my heritage is mainly about the whitest combination you can come up with: Irish, Scottish, German, and English. with a little bit of French thrown in for good measure (with my maiden name, because instead of a hard "g" sound, it's a soft "g"). (those who have met me in person can attest to my "whiteyness" aka really white skin)

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1334684785' post='2419534']
A little bit of it all? I'm American and was raised to be proud to be American. My grandparents are naturalized citizens, so it's a big deal to them. I have a connection with my German heritage because of my grandparents, and where I grew up. Where I grew up used to have the highest concentration of Germans in the world outside of Germany. The priest that married my husband and I didn't speak English until he went to school, because his family still spoke German, so there was a definite cultural connection still present, though most people did now speak English in their home. I also consider myself a midwesterner and a Minnesotan, and I definitely think having grown up in MN has affected how I interact with other people, the same way someone who grew up in NYC would have grown up with a different "standard" for interacting with people.
[/quote]

i remember my mom telling me where she grew up in KS that there was a huge grouping of Germans - one town was named "Germantown", but during WWII, it was re-named because they wanted everyone to know that they were good Americans.

If people ask "what I am," I'll respond that I'm Italian. The culture in my family is most prominently shaped by our Italian heritage.

I'm more apt to say I'm from South Jersey and identify myself as a New Jerseyan (read: "Jersey girl"), rather than an American.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334686810' post='2419581']
American. [b]North Jerseyian.[/b] If people ask me my "roots" I'd say primarily Irish.
[/quote]

Boo hiss. ;)

Edited by MissyP89

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1334691203' post='2419643']
I see myself as an American, an Italian, and a[s] Southern Californian[/s] Pittsburgher.
[/quote]

better :)

fides' Jack

No - you're all WRONG!!!

Why is this in the debate table?

Back on topic: I am defined by whatever FQI says.