An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Sin Ever Be Holy?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pax domini brethren,sympathiesers and others...
I have heard around the way that there may be a holy pride,holy anger and even a holy envy. I say no i will try and answer why. If my son (though i don't have one) becomes the number 1 goal kicker in his under 15s soccer team i should be glad for him but not proud because my understanding of pride is if i am proud of him i am worshipping a false idol that at any given day can fail miserably.Which opens me up to serious injury and despair.Where as if i'm just glad for my sons prowess on the soccer field but understand it is only the soccer field and there is a more serious of game of chess for him to win against the devil and it's legions. Once again my example is probably a most stupid one, but again some say there is a holy envy which drives us to advance in virtue,again i should just be glad for the persons prowess in such and such a virtue as gifted by God and i should give thanks to God for there gift. Please forgive my simplicity on these matters. And it goes on,holy anger,holy sloth (eyes popping out,"the what now", holy sloth lol.) And plus the holy word of God states the Spirit can not dwell where sin abounds or something like that, hence why we must be confessed if in a state of mortal sin before recieving the holy eucharist,coz otherwise it would be like giving a dead man bread (a priest told my friend that.)
Okay i hope this can start some debate(hopefully not heated.) Because i do see the debate for pro holy to some of the deadly sins like jesus in the temple (holy anger.) and Being proud of the sacrifice of our LORD and saint paul states "if one is to boast he is to boast in the LORD." biblicaly and personal experience of the LORD working through ones life i guess. And he also states another time if he is to boast otherwise "it will be of anothers virtue and good works." Words to that effect anyhow but that may just be gladness for others and not pride. I don't know that why i have started this topic. Enjoy it. :)

Onward christian souls.
God Bless ye all.
Jesus is LORD.
JC "seek and ye shall find." "knock and the door will be opened."

Being proud of your son's legitimate achievements is not sinful. It is important to not add to his achievements more than what is there. Remain humble and don't gloat/brag.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Jesus did too than in disobeying his earthly parents but he was obeying his heavenly father,so possibly is the same in becoming a priest or other religious.And jesus' can't sin by the way :)

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

fides' Jack

The seven capital sins only cover sins.

Not all pride is sinful. Not all envy is sinful. Not all anger is sinful.

All lust is sinful. All sloth is sinful. All greed is sinful.

Gluttony is a little harder to determine. How much is too much?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1334622681' post='2419054']
Pax domini brethren,sympathiesers and others...
I have heard around the way that there may be a holy pride,holy anger and even a holy envy. I say no i will try and answer why. If my son (though i don't have one) becomes the number 1 goal kicker in his under 15s soccer team i should be glad for him but not proud because my understanding of pride is if i am proud of him i am worshipping a false idol that at any given day can fail miserably.Which opens me up to serious injury and despair.Where as if i'm just glad for my sons prowess on the soccer field but understand it is only the soccer field and there is a more serious of game of chess for him to win against the devil and it's legions. Once again my example is probably a most stupid one, but again some say there is a holy envy which drives us to advance in virtue,again i should just be glad for the persons prowess in such and such a virtue as gifted by God and i should give thanks to God for there gift. Please forgive my simplicity on these matters. And it goes on,holy anger,holy sloth (eyes popping out,"the what now", holy sloth lol.) And plus the holy word of God states the Spirit can not dwell where sin abounds or something like that, hence why we must be confessed if in a state of mortal sin before recieving the holy eucharist,coz otherwise it would be like giving a dead man bread (a priest told my friend that.)
Okay i hope this can start some debate(hopefully not heated.) Because i do see the debate for pro holy to some of the deadly sins like jesus in the temple (holy anger.) and Being proud of the sacrifice of our LORD and saint paul states "if one is to boast he is to boast in the LORD." biblicaly and personal experience of the LORD working through ones life i guess. And he also states another time if he is to boast otherwise "it will be of anothers virtue and good works." Words to that effect anyhow but that may just be gladness for others and not pride. I don't know that why i have started this topic. Enjoy it. :)

Onward christian souls.
God Bless ye all.
Jesus is LORD.
JC "seek and ye shall find." "knock and the door will be opened."
[/quote]

Mother Angelica said there is a good pride. Not all pride is sinful. However, taking pride too far is. She was understandably proud of her network, and you can be understandably proud of your fifteen-year old son.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1334685551' post='2419546']
[/quote]

Three slices of pizza AFTER the button on your jeans pops off...

and there is a diff between being proud and being prideful

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1334685551' post='2419546']
The seven capital sins only cover sins.

Not all pride is sinful. Not all envy is sinful. Not all anger is sinful.

All lust is sinful. All sloth is sinful. All greed is sinful.

[/quote]

All gluttony is sinful.

What you mean to say is that it is difficult for you to 'see' in others; while the others aren't.

The person being gluttonous knows he/she is being gluttonous the same way they know they are being lustful, angry, slothful..etc...

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1334663443' post='2419298']
Jesus did too than in disobeying his earthly parents but he was obeying his heavenly father,so possibly is the same in becoming a priest or other religious.And jesus' can't sin by the way :)
[/quote]
Jesus never sinned.

fides' Jack

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1334696449' post='2419728']
All gluttony is sinful.

What you mean to say is that it is difficult for you to 'see' in others; while the others aren't.

The person being gluttonous knows he/she is being gluttonous the same way they know they are being lustful, angry, slothful..etc...
[/quote]

I'm sure you're right, but I don't know what you're saying.

Honestly, I don't know where to draw the line for myself about where I'm being gluttonous. I know I am, because I eat way too much fast-food, but I don't know how much is too much.

I would agree that all gluttony is sinful, but I think gluttony itself is hard to pinpoint.

All the others I can see pretty clearly. Usually.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1334696974' post='2419746']
I'm sure you're right, but I don't know what you're saying.

Honestly, I don't know where to draw the line for myself about where I'm being gluttonous. I know I am, because I eat way too much fast-food, but I don't know how much is too much.

I would agree that all gluttony is sinful, but I think gluttony itself is hard to pinpoint.

All the others I can see pretty clearly. Usually.
[/quote]
I agree about the gluttony part, it is hard to pinpoint. Is it when you MD says go on a diet? Your wife? When you stand up straight, glance down and you can no longer see your feet? Or when you are eating because something tastes so go you keep stuffing yourself? What if you eat healthy but simply way too much? Would you call Chesterton a glutton?

fides' Jack

That's for sure...

And with your spirit. Although... now that I think about it... isn't there something about the phrase "God be with you" that means that only priests should say it? Maybe that's only during Mass...

fides' Jack

Back on topic: I was told growing up that in heaven, we won't need to eat (having immortal bodies), but we will anyway just for the pleasure of it. Raises some interesting questions...

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

my previous parish priest told me if your hungry you can eat,but if you eat for eating sake your gluttonising it. I don't eat a huge amount but a sunday feast after holy mass surely is celebratiry eating and not gluttony when only once a week.Which of course doesn't work with lust.