An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homosexual Or Opposite Gender Housemates

Autumn Dusk

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='add' timestamp='1336300292' post='2427603']
Divorce isn't on that list. There is also a great deal of difference between reacting to something happen in your life and reacting emotionally, and cultivating an emotion of anger, jealousy etc.

You say, Abandoning your family is not a sin? Frankly I find that hard to believe.
[/quote]

I think what add may be trying to say,and correct me if i'm wrong add, is that these emotions of anger and jealousy cultivated can lead to divorce and therefore not really a basis for divorce and more something for the confessional ?

So can we start a definition of marriage and divorce thread now and let this thread get back to topic.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1336317759' post='2427645']

I think what add may be trying to say,and correct me if i'm wrong add, is that these emotions of anger and jealousy cultivated can lead to divorce and therefore not really a basis for divorce and more something for the confessional ?

So can we start a definition of marriage and divorce thread now and let this thread get back to topic.
[/quote]

Not exactly, what I'm saying is the repercussions of the sin of has a negative and detrimental effect to the entire family and relatives.

That is the sin I referred to.

Would you agree that at least one party or participate has sined in a divorce?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='add' timestamp='1336318725' post='2427649']
[/quote]

I don't believe i have the authority to answer such a question,sorry.

But on the matter of the domino effect, i think if a man has a seizure at a restaurant and falls on the table and a sharp knife reels into somone at the table jumping up in panic, than i'm unsure that the man or women having the seizure is exactly to blame. I'm sorry that is probably a way lame example and maybe not even in the same ball park. And i may be way wrong in this assumption and in need of correction,so if so someone please do.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='add' timestamp='1336318725' post='2427649']
Not exactly, what I'm saying is the repercussions of the sin of has a negative and detrimental effect to the entire family and relatives.

That is the sin I referred to.

[/quote]

Nope. Sometimes things break, and the people involved are not willing to try any more. Friend of mine tried for 20 years with a drug-addicted husband, but in the end it was divorce or the psych ward, and she chose divorce. I am not willing to call her choice a sin, nor condemn her husband for his hopeless addiction.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1336334801' post='2427722']

Nope. Sometimes things break, and the people involved are not willing to try any more. Friend of mine tried for 20 years with a drug-addicted husband, but in the end it was divorce or the psych ward, and she chose divorce. I am not willing to call her choice a sin, nor condemn her husband for his hopeless addiction.
[/quote]
No need for you to condemn him, it sounds like his life already is in ruins. what a miserable life he must have? You may not call it sin, but the end result is the same; misery and heartbreak.

My heart goes out for your friend, how tragic

Edited by add

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='add' timestamp='1336342448' post='2427762']
No need for you to condemn him, it sounds like his life already is in ruins. what a miserable life he must have? You may not call it sin, but the end result is the same; misery and heartbreak.

My heart goes out for your friend, how tragic
[/quote]
Very tragic for the entire family, but again, not sin.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1336551053' post='2429028']
Maybe it's not a sin, but isn't very nice
[/quote]I don't understand why you felt the need to point this out. The horse is dead. Seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

[sup]116[/sup] To receive his mercy, we must admit our faults. "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

cmotherofpirl

You were wrong in post #36 and your quote doesn't change that. We are not starting the thread over again.

Seven reasons why living together before marriage is not a good idea:

1       Those who live together before marriage are least likely to marry each other.Forty percent of couples who live together will end their relationships before marriage.

2      Those who live together before marriage have higher separation and divorce rates.The Journal of Marriage and Family reported marriages that are preceded by living together have 50 percent higher disruption rates than marriage without premarital cohabitation.[2] The Universities of Chicago and Michigan reported that those who cohabit before marriage have substantially higher divorce rates than those who do not; the recorded differentials range from 50 to 100 percent.

[3]         Researchers from Yale University, Columbia University and the Institute for Resource Development at Westinghouse revealed the divorce rates of women who cohabit are nearly 80 percent higher than the rates of those who do not.

4]           The University of Wisconsin at Madisonresearchers report that cohabitors perceived greater likelihood of divorce than couples who did not cohabit before marriage and the longer couples live together outside of marriage, the higher likelihood of divorce.

5]           Those who live together before marriage have unhappier marriages. A review of 10 cohabitation studies found that those who cohabit prior to marriage show a significantly lower marital quality and have significantly higher risk of marital dissolution at any given duration.

[6]         Couples who lived together before marriage also separated more often, sought counseling more often and regarded marriage as a less important part of their life than those who did not live together before marriage. 

.[7]        Those living together before marriage have more frequent disagreements, more fights and violence.Three studies find this to be true. Pennsylvania State University researchers found that those who live together were more negative and less positive when resolving a marital problem and when providing support to their partner.[8] They also found that husbands and wives who had lived together before marriage were more verbally aggressive, less supportive of one another and generally more hostile than spouses who had not lived together.[9]
The University of Wisconsin at Madison reported that couples who had cohabited prior to marriage reported greater marital conflict and poorer communication than married couples who had never cohabited.[10]
Research reports couples who live together have more frequent disagreements, more fights and violence, lower levels of fairness and happiness with their relationships compared to married people.[11]

5 Those who live together do not experience the best sex.The National Institute for Healthcare Research found that couples not involved before marriage and faithful during marriage are more satisfied with their current sex life than those who were involved sexually before marriage.[12] Another study done by the Family Research Council found that 72 percent of all married “traditionalists” (those who strongly believe out-of-wedlock sex is wrong) reported high sexual satisfaction. This is roughly 31 percentage points higher than the level by unmarried “non-traditionalists.” Religious women are most satisfied with the frequency of intercourse and were more orgasmic than are the nonreligious.[13]

6        Those who live together before marriage experience more behavioral problems.Compared with married couples, cohabitors report higher levels of:
Alcohol problems.[14]
Aggression is twice as common.[15]
Greater marital instability, lower marital satisfaction and poorer communication.[16]
Depression rates are more than three times higher.[17]
Women being assaulted is 56 times higher.[18]

7 Living together outside of marriage negatively impacts their children.David Popenoe and Barbara Dafoe Whitehead, researchers from the National Marriage Project, found that children living with cohabiting biological parents who are unmarried are 20 times more likely to be abused and children whose mother lives with a boyfriend who is not the biological father are 33 times more likely to be abused than children with married biological parents.[19]
Compared to children in intact families, children in cohabiting households had more behavioral problems and poorer academic scores.[20]

Every empirical study seen indicates living together does not produce healthier, happier marriages, but the contrary. Mature love is built on the security of knowing that your love is exclusive and permanent.