An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scrupulosity

Annie12

So, if someone is being really scrupulous about something and isn't sure if they should say it in confession/ is scarred to, should they trust in Christs mercy and just follow their instincts or should they say it anyway?

( I will share my story now) I have been in this situation and I was only scarred because I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to say something that never happened. Then a few weeks ago I could really feel Christ just tugging at my heart and communicating to me that he wanted me to trust in his mercy and what ever I could do to just trust in him he wanted whether that be confession or prayer or what have you. I also had a dream (whether it was just my imagination or not, I don't know, but) I saw Jesus as the divine mercy image saying "trust in my mercy". I tried to get to confession (even though I had already gone a bunch of times) but that didn't happen because of logistical reasons. So, I prayed about it and I think I'm cured! I totally trust in Christ now and I can accept that he has forgiven me! I have struggled with this for over 3 years now so this is huge!!! :woot: Any prayers that it will stay this way are welcome because I don't trust myself that I will stay sane :hehe2:

thanks.. I can't spell...I do appreciate it though. I can use all the help with spelling that I can get. lol!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1334366306' post='2417442']
So, if someone is being really scrupulous about something and isn't sure if they should say it in confession/ is scarred to, should they trust in Christs mercy and just follow their instincts or should they say it anyway?

( I will share my story now) I have been in this situation and I was only scarred because I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to say something that never happened. Then a few weeks ago I could really feel Christ just tugging at my heart and communicating to me that he wanted me to trust in his mercy and what ever I could do to just trust in him he wanted whether that be confession or prayer or what have you. I also had a dream (whether it was just my imagination or not, I don't know, but) I saw Jesus as the divine mercy image saying "trust in my mercy". I tried to get to confession (even though I had already gone a bunch of times) but that didn't happen because of logistical reasons. So, I prayed about it and I think I'm cured! I totally trust in Christ now and I can accept that he has forgiven me! I have struggled with this for over 3 years now so this is huge!!! :woot: Any prayers that it will stay this way are welcome because I don't trust myself that I will stay sane :hehe2:
[/quote]

I know how you feel. Though I was only scrupulous for a few months, those months were absolutely dreadful. Had I let myself, this is what my Confession would have sounded like (Feel free to laugh. I certainly did):

"Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It has been six days since my last Confession, and my sins are: I listened to The Priests' CD, even though I wasn't sure if it had inappropriate lyrics, I swallowed my spit several times yesterday, I looked down when I went to the bathroom, I swallowed some spit during Mass last week, thus breaking the Hour Fast, but still went to Communion anyway, I made a typo on the computer and didn't fix it, I didn't take my scapular and Rosary off and place them outside when I went to the bathroom, I let the crucifix on my Rosary lay flat and somewhat sideways instead of fixing it and making it straight up and down, I chose not to wear a sock with a hole in it, I had involuntary lustful thoughts, I played guitar, and these are my sins."

No, I kid you not. I thought each and every one of these things was a sin. I took the liberty of not saying a few for the sake of decency, but you can imagine it was pretty bad.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

One thing a scrupulous conscience needs to keep in mind is that a mortal sin requires full knowledge of the action's being grave matter. Uncertainty is not full knowledge, and "possible" sins are not mortal sins. Most know this already - the key is to resist playing the mind games that continue to pop up. If it makes you too uncomfortable, do it anyway - but pray sincerely that Christ help you make a proper examination of conscience, as you truly wish to confess all your sins. How could He abandon you in that effort?

If you're living in fear, you're going about it the wrong way, remember that. Scrupulous people are usually told to live by the maxim "if you commit a mortal sin, you'll [i]know[/i] it" - I think that's a solid motto.

Scrupulosity is very hard, and I remember you all in my prayers.

This quote helps me:

[size=4][color=#000000]"The followers of Jesus Christ are all poor, self-confessed sinners if they are wise. I have been privileged to know a few people who some day may be canonized saints, but they all thought that they were poor sinners."[/color]
[color=#000000]—Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R.[/color]
[color=#000000]From his book, "Arise from Darkness"[/color][/size]
[color="#000000"]Edit: Even when I hear the words "Mortal Sin" I get anxious because the thought is so dreadful! (am I weird for this?)[/color]

Edited by Annie12

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I recommend a devotion to St. Alphonsus Ligouri, a moral theologian who himself struggled mightily with scrupulosity.

PhuturePriest

Saint Therese of Lisiuex, one of my personal favorite Saints of all time, struggled a lot with scrupulocity. So did Saint Augustine, if I remember correctly.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

There's a blurry line between a sensitive and a scrupulous conscience, maybe he's referring to the former. I think what separates them is that there's a hint of obsessive compulsive behavior in scrupulosity, the tendency which is not easily overcome - if ever. A sensitive conscience just doesn't have a good handle on what sin is and is not, but both conditions can be helped tremendously with more formation. Scrupulosity requires the extra step of recognizing instances of OCD-type thinking, shutting it down, and re-assessing your situation calmly and confidently.

I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but if I went to a doctor about it I think I might. I have a lot of the tendencies of an OCD person. Anxiety it a huge factor for me too, but I think that might be caused by OCD. The Divine Mercy Chaplet has been a life saver! I have learned to put my trust in Jesus for everything! Its amazing!

[quote name='thedude' timestamp='1334415282' post='2417686']
There's a blurry line between a sensitive and a scrupulous conscience, maybe he's referring to the former. I think what separates them is that there's a hint of obsessive compulsive behavior in scrupulosity, the tendency which is not easily overcome - if ever. A sensitive conscience just doesn't have a good handle on what sin is and is not, but both conditions can be helped tremendously with more formation. Scrupulosity requires the extra step of recognizing instances of OCD-type thinking, shutting it down, and re-assessing your situation calmly and confidently.
[/quote]

amen. great post.

for anyone who truly struggles with scrupulosity, i recommend [url="http://mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupanon.htm"]scrupulosity anonymous[/url].

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1334384358' post='2417615']
people usually struggle with scrupulousity for way longer than a "few months"
[/quote]

I do realize this, yes. But thankfully, through asking a Dominican Priest how to combat it, he gave me all that I needed to know and I got rid of it. It was amazing, really. I started praying a prayer to Saint Anne, the mother of Mary, and it quit shortly after that. It was miraculous.

PhuturePriest

Hm... There's three people (Including myself) spelling scrupulosity differently.... Apparently the one with the "S" is the correct one. I have been beaten at my best school subject....