An Old School Catholic Message Board

Organic Food

mysisterisalittlesister

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1333158857' post='2410887']
Just because its says organic on it, do not always mean its organic.

:priest:

Always look at the ingredient, because if you can not pronounce words, then do not buy it. This is because food can have different names to them.
[/quote]In the US to use the word organic you must meet certain regulations.

Vincent Vega

I had a professor who is an organic farmer, and even she is unafraid to state that it is unsustainable and uneconomic on a large-scale.

southern california guy

Chlorithalonil is the most popular fungicide. It's been used for decades on melons and squash -- which are easily destroyed by the fungus "powdery mildew". I have even used it in my own garden. It evaporates very easily, it's not systemic, and it's not very toxic at all.

However the modern herbicides scare me. Genetic engineering has allowed scientists to create plants that are immune to broad spectrum hardcore systemic herbicides like "RoundUp". Now we have farmers growing "RoundUp Ready" corn, "RoundUp Ready" soy beans, "RoundUp Ready" wheat, etc. [b]They just spray the whole field with RoundUp! [/b]Monsanto argues that RoundUp is safe but there are studies that suggest that it is very toxic.

[color=#0000cd]"New York State's Attorney General has sued Monsanto for claiming that RoundUp is "safe" and "environmentally friendly." This suit ended in a settlement with Monsanto in which Monsanto agreed to cease and desist from using these terms in advertising RoundUp in the state of New York. Monsanto, while not admitting any wrongdoing, paid the state of New York $250,000 in settlement of this suit. When Monsanto violated the first settlement agreement by advertising within New York that RoundUp is "safe," a second agreement was negotiated."[/color][color=#000000] ( [/color][url="http://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/"]http://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/[/url] )

[b][img]http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global/usa/image/2004/7/63621.jpg[/img][/b]

Also with genetic engineering scientists are able to genetically engineer crops that have pesticides in them. So if insects try and feed on the crops they die. And when we eat the food -- we eat the pesticides too!

I'm not afraid of Chlorithalonil but I would definitely spend a little more for "organic".

Laudate_Dominum

There is a billboard nearby for "organic water." It sometimes makes me chuckle. What in the heck does that mean?

missionseeker

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1333160522' post='2410904']
I had a professor who is an organic farmer, and even she is unafraid to state that it is unsustainable and uneconomic on a large-scale.
[/quote]

It is sustainable.

It's only uneconomic because it's not mainstream.

There are definitely regulations. We grew up on an organically run farm. My parents had always grown things organically. We'd lived on the land for ten years (never using pesticides). When they decided to start selling stuff, they had to go through FDA processes. They couldn't label any of the food organic until the FDA had at least three years of documentation. It was always natural instead. I don't think my parents ever got the FDA certification because my dad changed jobs.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1333171299' post='2411028']
It is sustainable.

It's only uneconomic because it's not mainstream.

There are definitely regulations. We grew up on an organically run farm. My parents had always grown things organically. We'd lived on the land for ten years (never using pesticides). When they decided to start selling stuff, they had to go through FDA processes. They couldn't label any of the food organic until the FDA had at least three years of documentation. It was always natural instead. I don't think my parents ever got the FDA certification because my dad changed jobs.
[/quote]
razzle dazzle. We have friends who are organic growers and they don't use the term organic because they're small and don't want to pay thousands of dollars to get the USDA cert. I don't know why it costs that much money but that's what I've heard. :-/

P.S. Their stuff is probably better than most of the big industrial organic produce at the store, ironically. There is wiggle room in the USDA stuff for practices that most people wouldn't think of as particularly organic or whatever. If the growers are just in it for the label they could still be using certain pesticides gratuitously and growing in an unsustainable way. I can't wait for the farmer's market to start up!

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

missionseeker

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1333171485' post='2411030']
razzle dazzle. We have friends who are organic growers and they don't use the term organic because they're small and don't want to pay thousands of dollars to get the USDA cert. I don't know why it costs that much money but that's what I've heard. :-/
[/quote]

well in Alabama I don't think it did.

but if it did, then I would bet that it's a ginormous government plot to make organic food unsustainable and uneconomic

I get sick about how homogenous the agricultural industry has become, and how it's mostly controlled by big conglomerations.

I could be a sucker for propaganda, but Food Inc. infuriated me and broke my heart. Those farmers who couldn't stay in business because copywritten seeds had infiltrated their crops. And veggie libel laws?! say what?!.

And isn't corn-fed beef becoming a real big problem? Not jjust for individual cows and people, but more wide-spread ecological effects?

In my uneducated opinion I really feel like the food industry has to be decenteralized. If that means I can't get strawberries in January, I will survive. I just get the sense that we're fattening ourselves up with chemicals and garbage for the proverbial slaughter. But then again, I'm very dramatic when it comes to these things.

LadyOfSorrows

If you knew how non-organic milk was processed- you would never touch non-organic milk again. Just saying.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1333205304' post='2411129']
Organic milk, as my family fund out, is bad for us. Raw milk is better for the body.
[/quote]
What is the basis of this? Just curious.

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1333201128' post='2411111']
If you knew how non-organic milk was processed- you would never touch non-organic milk again. Just saying.
[/quote]
If you could even call it milk.

[quote name='J-Roq' timestamp='1333206951' post='2411139']
If you could even call it milk.
[/quote]

I don't know. I know how a lot of food is processed but I eat it anyway (I was grossed out when I found out milk could have pus in it or something, but I don't drink milk much and when I do I can put it out of mind). Maybe it's killing me slowly, but I feel like there's just way too many things that are killing me slowly to obsess about each one would probably cause enough stress to kill. I'm neurotic enough as it is!

I guess that's the crux of the problem. I need to eat, I need to have money and time left over for other things, so convenience wins. I understand that is likely a bad thing in the long run, but I feel a little bit powerless.

I sorta have a feeling that people will not go back to buying local food until if and when we are forced by some pretty drastic circumstances, and at that point it's probly gonna be pretty ugly.

I guess I'll just enjoy my mangoes from the philippines while I can :cry:

Laudate_Dominum

A tall glass of chilled bovine mammary gland secretions? We're nursed by another species as adults? Indeed, a freakish species largely engineered by us to give up lots of precious bodily fluids. Kind of odd. Eating in general is pretty bizarre, imho. :-/

Ever think about the universe of molecular structures and things that are demolished in cooking a meal and feel bad for destroying such intricate work? ... Never mind.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum