An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do I Sense A Strange Debate Over The Mass?

Annie12

I go to Mass to witness Christ's Sacrifice, and that Sacrifice is the same no matter what Mass I go to.

Therefore, I have no preference.

Groo the Wanderer

love em both. got things in both i don't care for.

waiting 50 yrs for the merging of the two...

An english teacher at my school is a crazy traddie who believes that OF is illicit. He thinks that the SSPX is the bees' knees. He's got good intentions, but the guy is not a good traddie.

A pony dies a little everytime I see the title.

Can somebody please put some good ol' common "sen[b]s[/b]e" in it?

Carry on.

Basilisa Marie

My Church history professor once told us that people tend to fight hardest about the things that matter the most. Hence, liturgy wars.

I do sence the ways of Pre-Vatican II coming ack with a vengence. I'm not saying that Vatican II was bad but I think that catholics are attracted to the reverence of Christ found in the traditional Mass and anywhere from the Latin mass to the traditional orders of religious are making a comeback. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

The English form of the mass is beautiful and I find the new English translation to be very interesting. The drift towards the more traditional way of doing things reflects current catholic culture. People are attracted to Christ more than ever now! One order of secular nuns has an overage age of 77 while the Dominican orders can barely keep up with all the vocations! I think Pope John Paul II was correct when he said that we are experiencing a springtime for the church!

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332597907' post='2406997']
A pony dies a little everytime I see the title.

Can somebody please put some good ol' common "sen[b]s[/b]e" in it?

Carry on.
[/quote]

your wish is my command, sire. :bounce:

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1332598906' post='2407001']
My Church history professor once told us that people tend to fight hardest about the things that matter the most. Hence, liturgy wars.
[/quote]
The opposite is true in my opinion. People tend to fight over what matters the least. There's no better way to get a good fight going then for one of the parties to flip out over something completely ridiculous.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1332601079' post='2407021']
The opposite is true in my opinion. People tend to fight over what matters the least. There's no better way to get a good fight going then for one of the parties to flip out over something completely ridiculous.
[/quote]

My professor was originally talking about the Crusades. People might argue over stupid things in politics, but they kill each other over the things that really matter.

eagle_eye222001

I am neither anti-Latin or anti-Ordinary Form, but rather [b]"Pro-Proper-Celebrate."[/b]

My preference is for a Mass celebrated correctly whether it be OF or EF.

It is unfortunate people get lost in this viscous fight of OF vs. EF when there are remarkable differences between a properly celebrated Novus Ordo, and a improperly celebrated N.O. with the same situation for EF.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1332614157' post='2407139']
I am neither anti-Latin or anti-Ordinary Form, but rather [b]"Pro-Proper-Celebrate."[/b]

My preference is for a Mass celebrated correctly whether it be OF or EF.

It is unfortunate people get lost in this viscous fight of OF vs. EF when there are remarkable differences between a properly celebrated Novus Ordo, and a improperly celebrated N.O. with the same situation for EF.
[/quote]

Even a properly celebrated OF is materially different than the EF. The prayers of the OF and the prayers of the EF are distinctly different. There are several EF prayers that were suppressed in the OF such as the prayer to the holy trinity and the prayers at the foot of the altar. That is why there is still a fight between OF vs. EF.

homeschoolmom

From one of the various threads on the topic

[quote name='Terra Firma' timestamp='1183956422' post='1319660']
You persist in choosing the imperfect example to demonstrate flaws in the comparison ... the ugly dog, the clown priests, etc. Let's try a better analogy.
2007 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show
[img]http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/photos/bis/bis.jpg[/img]
2006 Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show
[img]http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2006/photos/bis/bis.jpg[/img]

Two very different dogs, both retaining the essence of "dogness" but still exhibiting quite different characteristics in the details. Both judged "Best in Show," so they're awarded equal dignity and respect. Is one better? Only when it comes to [i]individual preference[/i]. Objectively, both do honor to the concept of "dog" equally well -- demonstrating the form of dog differently yet still maintaining an essential dogginess. So the owner of the bull terrier, while he may love his dog deeply, may not say to the owner of the spaniel that the spaniel is not as good simply because it earned its award a year later. Both are deemed worthy of the same level of appropriate honor and respect.
[/quote]