An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facebook Friends...a Question

Keystone28

OK, I have a few friends -old friends that is- on FB who seem to have issues with me and my Catholicism. To the point where snippy remarks and jabs have been offered up when I comment on anything remotely religious.For instance, The last thing I wrote before Lent began (I Gave up FB as one of my Lenten sacrifices), was "For those it applies to, what is everyone doing for Lent?", to which I got a few really solid replies, and then the following; [b][i]"I went to Catholic school for 9 years, I dont have to give up anything, is that good enough for you altar boy?"[/i][/b]

My question is, should I just cut these people off, or should I continue to be their friends in hope that maybe some day they'll come around? I already cut one person out for making really offensive jokes about Padre Pio, and I fully believe in defending my faith, but I'm uncertain as to which way I should go with this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can afford me.

Mock them. Mercilessly. Or I could do it.

Victory conditions: Whoever unfriends is the loser in the confrontation.

They don't sound like a friend at all. Either unfriend them, or if you don't want to do that you could set your privacy settings so that they can't see what you post but are still on your 'friends' list.

This is the internet. We are beyond Thunderdome, and you should keep that in mind.

They obviously have their opinions on things which are contrary to your beliefs, and the internet gives them a forum to loudly, publicly, and often obnoxiously give voice to those opinions. However, that is only as much of a problem for you as you let it become. Obviously, they are lost, and you should pray for them. You could try to debate them, but as I pointed out: this is the internet, and you are not likely to change anyone's philosophical/theological views through a debate on facebook. Of course, such an exercise might cause them to unfriend you (ragequit!), and then you could claim an internet-victory. In all seriousness, if their responses are so offensive that it bothers you, you could always ask them to stop. If they are really your friends then they should accept that you are being offended and should stop their behavior. If they do not stop, then you could always unfriend them yourself. If it was me, I would just start posting tons of pro-Catholic articles and Catholic apologetics articles on my facebook page just to drive them nuts.

Edited by centurion

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332429644' post='2405327']
They don't sound like a friend at all. Either unfriend them, or if you don't want to do that you could set your privacy settings so that they can't see what you post but are still on your 'friends' list.
[/quote]
PAY ATTENTION
[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1332428821' post='2405317']
Mock them. Mercilessly. Or I could do it.

Victory conditions: Whoever unfriends is the loser in the confrontation.
[/quote]

Nihil Obstat

They're not friends. Either do what Winchester suggests, or defriend them right off in a pre-emptive strike. I've dealt with them, and used both options.

I have a few friends like that and all I do is make it a point to post a pro-Catholic article or video to their wall every day until they un-friend [b]me[/b].

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1332430778' post='2405341']
defriend them right off in a pre-emptive strike.

[/quote]
[img]http://www.deviantart.com/download/214306999/no__meme_by_dylrocks95-d3jlcc7.png[/img]

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1332431218' post='2405348']
I have a few friends like that and all I do is make it a point to post a pro-Catholic article or video to their wall every day until they un-friend [b]me[/b].
[/quote]
[img]http://troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/correctamundo.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the advice y'all! That was pretty much the route I was planning on taking, but I just wanted to get some other opinions before I cut these people loose. It's not that my feelings were hurt, or that there was any kind of distress (I spent 6 years as a bouncer in a punk rock club, so trust me, I can take the abuse), I just wanted to make sure I was living up to the spiritual works of mercy is all.

Steve

If I were you Keystone, I'd let Winchester mock them for you. I personally love a good debate on my FB wall, irregardless of what naysayers think.

Have you ever considered monetizing the delivery of well-constructed insults into a business? I'm convinced a person could make a surprising amount of money getting paid to insult others on Facebook.