An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Wrong To Want More In Your Life?

blacksheep

I mean I know Heaven is the ultimate goal for the next life, but is it wrong to want to be successfull and not content with a mediocre way of life? I get very bored and frustrated sometimes and think I should be doing better career wise but my parents just say it's not important, and I understand why it's not imporant but God only lets you live this life once...I want to make the most of it.

Edited by blacksheep

[quote name='blacksheep' timestamp='1331750194' post='2400674']
I mean I know Heaven is the ultimate goal for the next life, but is it wrong to want to be successfull and not content with mediocre in this life? I get very bored and frustrated sometimes and think I should be doing better career wise but my parents just say it's not important, and I understand why it's not imporant but God only give you lets you live this life once...I want to make the most of it.
[/quote]
I don't think so. Maybe God is calling you to something else. Maybe the third order or something. I know that when I am discerning I am conscious of this feeling of a greater purpose. You should pray about it. God Bless! :heart:

Yes it is wrong to want more. America was founded by our puritan forebears. Everyone should wear black and shut up about it.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1331755083' post='2400746']
Yes it is wrong to want more. America was founded by our puritan forebears. Everyone should wear black and shut up about it.
[/quote]
I don't agree. I think if in wanting more as in goods, that would be greed but if something doesn't feel right in life, you need to pray about it to see if God may be pointing you in a new direction.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1331755765' post='2400756']
I don't agree. I think if in wanting more as in goods, that would be greed but if something doesn't feel right in life, you need to pray about it to see if God may be pointing you in a new direction.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure Era doesn't agree either, although with him I'm never quite sure when he's being for teh srs...

I mean I know Heaven is the ultimate goal for the next life, but is it wrong to want to be successfull and not content with a mediocre way of life? I get very bored and frustrated sometimes and think I should be doing better career wise but my parents just say it's not important, and I understand why it's not imporant but God only lets you live this life once...I want to make the most of it.
[/quote]

This life can't be divorced from eternity. This life is part of eternity. It's where we learn to love, and we carry that gift with us into forever. For that we need to make the most of every gift and opportunity we're given. As a friend and follower of Jesus, pray that you will never lose an opportunity to love, and that you will welcome with gratitude everything and everyone you're sent in your day. A humble and grateful spirit is the best way to enjoy this life - if we let ourselves become focused on career goals or anything other than Christ, we start to become competitive with others and harried over the future, and we lose sight of our deeper purpose. As St Paul wrote in his letter to the Corinthians, "Be ambitious for the higher gifts. And I am going to show you a way that is better than any of them. If I have all the eloquence of men and angels, but speak without love, I am simply a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. If I have the gift of prophecy, understanding all the mysteries there are, and knowing everything, and if I have faith in all its fullness, to move mountains, but without love, then I am nothing at all."

Jesus spent thirty of his thirty-three years on earth working in quiet obscurity in a carpenter's shop in Nazareth, a town so small and backward that when Nicodemus the scholar heard where Christ was from, he asked, "Nazareth? Can anything good come out of that place?" During his three years of ministry, he continued to lead a very simple and ordinary way of life, travelling with a rag-tag group of friends. Christ did not have what the world calls a successful career, but he had perfect love. He was making the most of his life. It's just that what God considers to be the most important things and what we consider to be the most important things are not always the same. God wants our joy, and he alone knows how to satisfy our restlessness. He sent it to us in Jesus.

If you keep Jesus the carpenter in mind, you will know peace no matter whether you're scrubbing floors or directing a company. Our only fulfillment is in learning how to love as he does, and he can teach you this anywhere. Pray for him to send you the work where you can serve him best, and ask him for the grace to love him in everything you do.

cmotherofpirl

[/quote]

How are you defining success? What career choices have yo made?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1331829881' post='2401160']
How are you defining success? What career choices have yo made?
[/quote]

Well for me i'm a graphic designer and have a steady job...but it's the bottom rung of the ladder. A rung i should've gotten three years ago once i finished college. I guess I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do cause it's not a job that I want to be at and I see others, friends, already making money that I am should be making at my age...but I do understand what PM Peep is coming from. It shouldn't matter as long as I have God's love in my heart and take advantage of every opportunity to love. I guess I also have to be patient. A virtue I lack very often.

Edited by blacksheep

Plus i have several personal projects I want to finish that should've been finished years ago...a novel, comic book, short stories, religious painting series...I think i just have AADD Art Attention Defecite Disorder. I just need to pray and focus.

Really wish I could be like padre pio and be at several different places at once...one of me to work, one of me to paint, one of me to write, and one of me to rest.

Edited by blacksheep

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='blacksheep' timestamp='1331835114' post='2401258']
Well for me i'm a graphic designer and have a steady job...but it's the bottom rung of the ladder. A rung i should've gotten three years ago once i finished college. I guess I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do cause it's not a job that I want to be at and I see others, friends, already making money that I am should be making at my age...but I do understand what PM Peep is coming from. It shouldn't matter as long as I have God's love in my heart and take advantage of every opportunity to love. I guess I also have to be patient. A virtue I lack very often.
[/quote]
So those you goals.
Pick one, make an action plan with specific goals in a time period and get to work. You can't get where you want to be unless you take the first step.