An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Miracle?

blacksheep

Was reading about The blood of St. Januarius. Apparently this saint's blood has the ability to transform from solid to a liquid when disturbed..and then back to a solid when at rest. Is this truly divine? In my chemistry class we worked with simple chemicals that created a gel that could do the same thing...and chemicals that were available at the time of the St's death. I wish I remembered what they were, but anycase hundreds of people flock to see this. Is this right? The church allows the celebration but doesn't recognized it officially as a miracle, which to me makes sense. If this can occure by human hands...it can't be miraculous. What do you think? Should this be stopped? Is there harm in this?

[right]What i find interesting is that the church won't let them open the vial on account of the investigation being contamited. So a true analysis cannot be certain if this is legitamate or not...at least not now.[/right]

Sounds like it could be from one of David Robert Jones' shape shifters. This is a matter for the Fringe Division. (Unless you are in the 'other' universe, then ask for Walter at Harvard University.)

[quote name='blacksheep' timestamp='1331557777' post='2399530']
[right]What i find interesting is that the church won't let them open the vial on account of the investigation being contamited. So a true analysis cannot be certain if this is legitamate or not...at least not now.[/right]
[/quote]
For 1700 year old blood, I don't blame them!

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1331560190' post='2399550']
Sounds like it could be from one of David Robert Jones' shape shifters. This is a matter for the Fringe Division. (Unless you are in the 'other' universe, then ask for Walter at Harvard University.)
[/quote]

is that a good show? never seen an episode...seems like an xfiles rehash

Nihil Obstat

Is it divine? Better question: does it help your devotion to Christ? If not, don't worry about it. Don't think about it, and let other people argue amongst themselves. If you feel that it helps you, then by all means pray for the intercession of St. Januarius, and thank God for the graces given to him.
With an alleged miracle like that... who knows? If I understand correctly, the Church has allowed that devotion to it is acceptable, but it's not within the nature of such things to say with certainty that it is a miracle.

You'd be in good company believing in it, but I also think you'd be safe to ignore it, even to speculate that it is not miraculous. Think first how it affects your faith.