An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teacher Arrested For Sexual Relationshp With Student

mortify

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332811236' post='2408950']
I think that some Christians relish the opportunity to be bold and bring the "speak the truth" thing, when a little moderation and a conciliatory attitude might serve them--and God--better. Wanting to be a martyr is kind of woven into our tradition, but I think a lot of times people provoke or involve themselves in fights that could easily be allayed with a self-effacing joke, a smile or a cup of coffee.
[/quote]A cup of coffee and a smile is helpful, but so is logic and reason. Catholics would do a world of good if they would argue the beliefs and values from logic instead of just saying it's their 2,000 year Tradition and quoting encyclicals from the pope. There is a history of logical thinkers within the Church. Maybe it should be tapped into a little more to communicate with the secular in a logical and reasonable manner.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332902810' post='2409490']
A cup of coffee and a smile is helpful, but so is logic and reason. Catholics would do a world of good if they would argue the beliefs and values from logic instead of just saying it's their 2,000 year Tradition and quoting encyclicals from the pope. There is a history of logical thinkers within the Church. Maybe it should be tapped into a little more to communicate with the secular in a logical and reasonable manner.
[/quote]

I think evangelism should be done in a manner similar to the way a puppet master manipulates the strings to move a marionette. Whatever the situation calls for--logic, emotion, humor, "testimony," silence-- ought to be used. There's no one tool, no one path, no one approach. You take each person and each opportunity as it is, and work with and around it.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332910499' post='2409539']
I think evangelism should be done in a manner similar to the way a puppet master manipulates the strings to move a marionette. Whatever the situation calls for--logic, emotion, humor, "testimony," silence-- ought to be used. There's no one tool, no one path, no one approach. You take each person and each opportunity as it is, and work with and around it.
[/quote]

props.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332651842' post='2407741']
I think that any rational person can draw a line in the sand and say "Having sex with children and animals is objectively wrong, while 2 dudes wanting to hug and kiss and get married is somewhat less so."[/quote]

The issue is not whether one disordered act is worse than another. We agree that beastiality is worse in this regard. The issue is that there is no logical defense of one practice over another, and that in all likelyhood, they will be acceptable practices in the future. You may *personally* feel beastiality and pedarastry are wrong, but that is your own subjective belief based on your own bias. You have no right to force another human being to conform to your own subjective belief system.

[quote]I think we should all agree that 2 dudes having sex in the privacy of their own bedroom is absolutely less of a danger to society than predatory behavior by teachers and other adults in positions of authority over children.
[/quote]

Using a term like "predatory" is full of bias. You might as well use the same term for the men and women looking for casual sex in clubs. The fact is, the sexual relationship mentioned above was consensual. The teacher didn't subdue and force the girl into something she didn't want to do, she most certainly wanted it! The teacher mentioned on her facebook that she thought she found her love. How could anyone stand in the way of another's love? Especially if it's in the privacy of their own home! What danger does it pose to society? None!

I'm obviously playing as devil's advocate, an dbeing partially facetious. What I'm realizing is just how powerful the relativist argument is. It's easy when it's used against what most people find deplorable, e.g. pedarastry, polygamy, beastiality, etc. But when it's used for those same causes, it's really unbeatable. In a world where there is no moral reference point, and everyone is free to be an individual, really just about anything goes.

And again, my bet is on twenty years... in twenty years pedarastry will be acceptable...

Who wants to take me on?