An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teacher Arrested For Sexual Relationshp With Student

mortify

similarily, If one was to advocate that a certain religion's rules regarding, say, gay marriage, be codified into law, it wouldnt be hard to "slippery slope" that situation all the way until the USA ends up being a catholic Saudi Arabia.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332688908' post='2407947']
As to the teacher, she should be sent to jail for the crime she committed because she broke the law. Having sex with animals and dead people and having multiple wives are all crimes; being gay is not a crime, and getting married isn't either
[/quote]

Hey, you. :)

A perhaps unrelated question: today we have extramarital relationships, gay relationships, widely-accepted use of kink, etc...and that makes me wonder: why is polygamy still illegal? Why do we as a (secular) society consider it wrong enough to make it a crime?

I know what I would say, as a Catholic. But given the way the American mindset has changed over the last 50ish years, it strikes me as strange.

What say you?

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1332696979' post='2408045']

Hey, you. :)

A perhaps unrelated question: today we have extramarital relationships, gay relationships, widely-accepted use of kink, etc...and that makes me wonder: why is polygamy still illegal? Why do we as a (secular) society consider it wrong enough to make it a crime?

I know what I would say, as a Catholic. But given the way the American mindset has changed over the last 50ish years, it strikes me as strange.

What say you?
[/quote]

I dunno really. I assume it has it's roots in Judeo-Christian teachings, but you're right--if we're to do away with that mindset as the basis for laws, I don't see the problem with it, assuming all parties involved consent to the partnership and the like.

(I would never do it...I have 1 fiancée and she is far and away enough for me!)

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332697337' post='2408051']
I don't see the problem with it, assuming all parties involved consent to the partnership and the like.
[/quote]
Really? You don't think that is just a little demeaning to woman? Why stop at two or three wives, why not forty virgins?

Edited by add

add, Kujo and I are speaking of a secular society. If gay marriage is considered OK by our society, he doesn't see why society would make polygamy illegal. You'll notice that just under that he says he would never do that.

also, just because you may think something is demeaning, does not mean that 1) everyone else thinks so and 2)that means it should be illegal.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1332718668' post='2408331']
also, just because you may think something is demeaning, does not mean that 1) everyone else thinks so and 2)that means it should be illegal.
[/quote]
Such thinking is how slavery was once justified.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1332718472' post='2408329']
add, Kujo and I are speaking of a secular society. If gay marriage is considered OK by our society, he doesn't see why society would make polygamy illegal. You'll notice that just under that he says he would never do that.
[/quote]
Didn't he say he didn't have a problem with it , but personably wouldn't? I take that as being in favor of poligimy

[quote name='add' timestamp='1332719670' post='2408339']
Such thinking is how slavery was once justified.
[/quote]

such a brilliant reply.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1332722085' post='2408359']

such a brilliant reply.
[/quote]

Next he'll tell us how Hitler had a similar thought once...

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1332730536' post='2408522']
.i wish i could give you props.
[/quote]

The only reason I value this comment is because you aren't 15!

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332697337' post='2408051']

I dunno really. I assume it has it's roots in Judeo-Christian teachings, but you're right--if we're to do away with that mindset as the basis for laws, I don't see the problem with it, assuming all parties involved consent to the partnership and the like.

(I would never do it...I have 1 fiancée and she is far and away enough for me!)
[/quote]Distaste towards polygamy I believe is based on cultural traditions. Modern society looks to legal principles as justification.

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1332731287' post='2408531']
Distaste towards polygamy I believe is based on cultural traditions.  Modern society looks to legal principles as justification.
[/quote]

Right, which is why I said I suppose that there isn't really any reason why it shouldn't be allowed, provided all of the people involved agree to the contract.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1332730816' post='2408524']
The only reason I value this comment is because you aren't 15!
[/quote]
What if I told you he was Canadian?