An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charity Towards Others

Livin_the_MASS

rate it's importance shown to others  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='amarkich' date='May 5 2004, 07:48 PM'] Charity is the greatest virtue, above faith according to the Bible (just for the Fundamentalists who adhere to Sola Fide who are reading). I selected 1 as the answer because this is true, but we have to understand the true meaning of charity. The "ecumenical" activity where we pray with Protestants and other heretics is not a form of charity. This is not true charity. It is impossible to please God without the Cathoilc faith (Council of Trent, Session V), and therefore the prayer of anyone outside the Church does not bring honor to God but rather is a blasphemy to God. The virtue of charity also does not mean that we should be passive but rather that we should imitate Our Lord, Who was certainly not passive, in our endeavors and dealing with others. God bless. [/quote]
I recall the Archbishop of Canterbury and an Orthodox Patriarch, trailed by a procession of many different Christian confessions helping Pope John Paul II open the Holy Door in 2000 - All praying in unison to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior praising His Great Jubilee. Our great Pope showed the world true Christian Charity. I also chose #1 :D

I can't remember, but I might have voted 10 when I meant 1. Usually 1-10 scales have 10 being the most and 1 being the least. But if I did vote 10, it's my own fault for not reading it carefully enough. :wall:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='amarkich' date='May 5 2004, 09:48 PM'] Charity is the greatest virtue, above faith according to the Bible (just for the Fundamentalists who adhere to Sola Fide who are reading). I selected 1 as the answer because this is true, but we have to understand the true meaning of charity. The "ecumenical" activity where we pray with Protestants and other heretics is not a form of charity. This is not true charity. It is impossible to please God without the Cathoilc faith (Council of Trent, Session V), and therefore the prayer of anyone outside the Church does not bring honor to God but rather is a blasphemy to God. The virtue of charity also does not mean that we should be passive but rather that we should imitate Our Lord, Who was certainly not passive, in our endeavors and dealing with others. God bless. [/quote]
So praying with our protestant brothers and sisters outside
an abortion clinic or for world peace is wrong?
Those people who are sincerely seeking God and have not yet found
Him are pleasing to God by responding to His call in their hearts.
Not everyone has a conversion experience like St Paul. Many come to
the Church after serious and long searching, and their search and
prayers is certainly not a blasphemy. There is nothing wrong with
evangelization, but you will never get very far if you constantly
refer to people as heretics and blasphemers

Livin_the_MASS

amarkich,

The true meaning of charity and love is to lay down our life for sinners, even those who hurt us!

Jesus came not to condemn the world but that it might be saved! Your statement contradicts itself, one minute you say you pick charity than you start judging others. Charity would pray, charity would sacrifice for their soul.

Peace brother
Jason

the lumberjack

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 6 2004, 12:47 PM'] So praying with our protestant brothers and sisters outside
an abortion clinic or for world peace is wrong? [/quote]
THIS is what I'm talkin bout!!!

I am glad to think that you would consider me a brother in Christ, even though I do not subscribe to every aspect of the Catholic Church.

even though, as amarkich has so zealously stated, all the documents beaver dam me and "my kind"...and we are not technically brothers and sisters in Christ.

I am glad in my heart to see that there are those that look past that...to where real relationship lie.

our doctrines and walks might never be exactly the same, but so long as we're here, we can keep one another from going widely astray...

God bless.

In Christ...

the lumberjack.

ps word to cmom. -_-

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='May 6 2004, 04:55 PM'] even though, as amarkich has so zealously stated, all the documents beaver dam me and "my kind"...and we are not technically brothers and sisters in Christ.

[/quote]
No, lumberjack, amarkich is reading said documents way too narrowly. The Catholic Church does NOT teach that non-Catholic Christians are automatically hellbound, nor has it ever done so. It would depend on their ignorance of the Catholic Church.

Edited by Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Livin_the_MASS

I've almost read all of the book by Patrick Madrid "Search and Rescue"

Awesome Prayer:

[quote]"Lord Jesus

I give You my hands to do Your work.

I give You my feet to go Your way.

I give You my eyes to see as You see.

I give You my tounge to speak Your words.

I give You my mind to think as You think.

I give You my spirit so that You may pray in me.

I give You myself so the You may grow in me.

So that it is You, Lord Jesus, who lives and works

and prays in me. Amen"[/quote]

Without You Jesus I am nothing!
Good book :))
God Bless
Jason

[quote name='amarkich' date='May 5 2004, 08:48 PM'] ... but we have to understand the true meaning of charity. The "ecumenical" activity where we pray with Protestants and other heretics is not a form of charity. This is not true charity. It is impossible to please God without the Cathoilc faith (Council of Trent, Session V), and therefore the prayer of anyone outside the Church does not bring honor to God but rather is a blasphemy to God.... [/quote]
I had to rub my eyes. :bugeyes:

You're kidding, right? :noidea:

That's some kinda sick humor??? :unsure:

Charity IS the most important thing.

My mom (God Bless her!!!) gave us very simple rules growing up.

Never call people names, (afterall, would you want to be called by a name?)
Everyone is beautiful to God. after all, he made them.
Everyone is equal, you are no better than anyone else, and they are no better than you.
Always give someone the benefit of the doubt.
Always give someone three chances to make something right.
(then give them 3 more for good measure)
Never 'loan' money if you expect it back.
Never borrow money unless you can pay it back.
Always give more than what you wanted to.
Love is free, so give the most of that.
Hugs from us (me and my sibs) were the best presents we could give.
Always smile, cause it makes you look prettier.
Dont use cuss words, cause it makes you look ugly.
And be in when the street lights come on.

Besides the usual, yes ma'am.. yes sir.

My mom is still like that.
Southern Humor and wit....you gotta love it.

(oh, and my fav....A horse has got a belly, but you've got a tummy)

Peace.
*for you mom*

• 3 weeks later...
HomeTeamFamily

im not very good at quoting scripture but i know the jist of it:

faith, hope, and love....above all these is love (speaking about charity of course)