An Old School Catholic Message Board

Single Mother's And Abortion

blacksheep

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1331287541' post='2398158']
Unfortunately I know lots of devout Catholics with that mindset, as in, not attending the baby shower of a person they know because the baby was conceived out of wedlock. They equate it with attending a non-Catholic wedding, as in: attending the shower will necessarily mean you condone what happened, because the simple act of being present makes that silent statement whether you want it to or not. I disagree, though. I think the mom needs support and encouragement and I know too many people who were in bad situations, needed support from members of the Church, instead were pushed away, and are now very bitter and resentful of Catholics and Catholicism. We can always encourage these people to come back to the Lord if they are living in sin and more often than not that takes time and patience. Similar to what Mother Teresa said, we should err on the side of charity.
[/quote]
I know a few older women in my family who certainly would not have attended such a shower, sent the gifts along with everyone else, but not admitted it. And once the baby came along, the supposed disapproval melted away.

[quote name='blacksheep' timestamp='1331043926' post='2396835']Talking with my aunt however she thinks the idea is ludicrous. Her reasoning is that since they sinned they must deal with this problem on their own, and that our helping them is just a way for them to take advantage of God fearing people and continue their sinful lifestyle.[/quote]
Your aunt would make a good character in a Flannery O'Connor story.

"Bear ye one another's burdens; and so you shall fulfill the law of Christ." --Galatians 6:2

RezaMikhaeil

There is an Eastern Orthodox priest that wrote an article called "heretical morality". He gives an interesting perspective to the idea of "moralizing" social issues here: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaDTWZIXfLU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaDTWZIXfLU[/url]

You can't moralize women like this by saying "they sinned now they have to deal with the consequences". That makes you a heretic. You have to approach them with a co-suffering love as Christ did.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='add' timestamp='1333757631' post='2413764']
Single motherhood is an oxymoron, doesn't it take two? Married or not the egg didn't fertilize itself.
[/quote]

True, but most guys these days are nothing more than sperm donars and have no interest in raising the child they helped to bring into the world.

And before anyone gets on me for this, I've seen this happen, numerous times to friends, to coworkers and to others around me.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1333763742' post='2413795']
True, but most guys these days are nothing more than sperm donars and have no interest in raising the child they helped to bring into the world.

And before anyone gets on me for this, I've seen this happen, numerous times to friends, to coworkers and to others around me.
[/quote]
Thats because the mum doesn't drag the father into court or have a daddy with a shotgun. Our society is failing in one of its most basic jobs - protect the next generation from harm.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1333765765' post='2413811']
Oh winnie.
[/quote]
Seriously. With all the flooping resources on the internet, and millions of dollars extracted by violence to educate people, idiots are still using an apostrophe to make "mother" plural.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1333769002' post='2413843']
Thats because the mum doesn't drag the father into court or have a daddy with a shotgun. Our society is failing in one of its most basic jobs - protect the next generation from harm.
[/quote]

Forgive me, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.

It's the man's fault. Obviously, being stupid enough to give it up prior to marriage must be the fault of the man.

Courts should have no place in divesting him of money. The decision to copulate was mutual. Women know how it works. Don't floopy without some kind of previous agreement. Women who get pregnant from premarital sex are not victims.

so men should be able to copulate, as you put it, and have zero responsibilty for a pregnancy that might result?

razzle dazzle.