An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican I Condems Evolution?

dells_of_bittersweet

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1332130782' post='2403715']
Evolution. Somehow, "the theory of" part got dropped and it became a pseudo fact.

This is no different than Einstein's theory of relativity.

It is speculation. Not fact. Therefore, evolution cannot be accepted as fact.

Sadly, evolution as a way to undermine God, is used in government schools every day.
[/quote]

That's not what "theory" means in the context of science. Not even close.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1332130782' post='2403715']
Evolution. Somehow, "the theory of" part got dropped and it became a pseudo fact.

This is no different than Einstein's theory of relativity.

It is speculation. Not fact. Therefore, evolution cannot be accepted as fact.

Sadly, evolution as a way to undermine God, is used in government schools every day.
[/quote]
Like the "[i]theory" [/i]of gravity, too, then?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1332170243' post='2403881']
Like the "[i]theory" [/i]of gravity, too, then?
[/quote]
Gravity is speculation, not fact. Therefore gravity cannot be accepted as fact. Sadly, gravity as a way to undermine God is used in government schools every day.
Godless heathen.

Vincent Vega

Once a fundamentalist told me that gravity was just a theory, and that it was the Lord that held us to the Earth.

I wish I were joking.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1332258562' post='2404442']
Once a fundamentalist told me that gravity was just a theory, and that it was the Lord that held us to the Earth.

I wish I were joking.
[/quote]

well if you see God as upholding physical laws every instant, it's kinda true? Why must there be a dichotomy?

it's different to say God upholds gravity than it is to say that God holds us down to the earth. if God upholds gravity, then gravity still follows observable laws; if the only reason we stay on earth is because God wants us to, then whether or not any of us will suddenly fly away depends on God's wishes that day... which is a pagan way of thinking about the world, not a Christian way. the transcendence of God from the world allows us to see the world as following the laws of nature and the laws of physics that God established for them, as opposed to the old pagan notion that it was the will of gods that caused everything and thus you could not understand, just try to placate them. this is why it was first under the decline of old pagan thinking that philosophy grew strong, and then in the Christian era that science came to its heights--because we recognized God as transcendent, leaving the world to be studied on its own terms.