An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan B Is Not An Abortion Pill

kujo

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1329772178' post='2390252']
It's not 'secularism'. Supposedly, moral decisons are based on Faith AND Reason. There is nothing wrong with applied reason, though religions would find it easier if members would just do as they are told, based on Faith Decrees.
[/quote]
I understand what you are saying though I'm not sure if I agree with you. I guess I meant "the Godlessness of our society".

Edited by Annie12

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1329758972' post='2390052']
When I looked it up, it said it works primarily by stopping/postponing ovulation,but may also prevent implantation. So it sounds pretty similar to other ormonal contraceptives, to be honest.
[/quote]

It would depend on the point in the cycle I would think. These things usually have several mechanisms which they work by to make sure they are "effective". The 'primary' mechanism is preventing ovulation and therefore conception but if the woman has already ovulated that is when the abortive effects come in, preventing implantation rather than conception.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1329774863' post='2390278']
In my debates with my very pro-choice cousin, the question isn't whether the child is human, but if he is a person. Very sad.
[/quote]

It is very sad. We have to pray for people like your cousin.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1329774863' post='2390278']
In my debates with my very pro-choice cousin, the question isn't whether the child is human, but if he is a person. Very sad.
[/quote]

I'll pray for your cousin.
But "person" is synonymous with "human individual". (Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition)
Arguing it by any other definition isn't an argument about personhood, but an argument about which human individuals *matter*.
Point that out to your cousin, then ask when we began valuing others by the price tag a third party sticks upon them. (Assuming you haven't already, which you probably have...)

Edited by Tally Marx

Archaeology cat

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1329782198' post='2390301']

It would depend on the point in the cycle I would think. These things usually have several mechanisms which they work by to make sure they are "effective". The 'primary' mechanism is preventing ovulation and therefore conception but if the woman has already ovulated that is when the abortive effects come in, preventing implantation rather than conception.
[/quote]Yes, I would think that's so.
[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1329782223' post='2390302']

It is very sad. We have to pray for people like your cousin.
[/quote]
[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1329783300' post='2390310']

I'll pray for your cousin.
But "person" is synonymous with "human individual". (Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition)
Arguing it by any other definition isn't an argument about personhood, but an argument about which human individuals *matter*.
Point that out to your cousin, then ask when we began valuing others by the price tag a third party sticks upon them. (Assuming you haven't already, which you probably have...)
[/quote]thank you for your prayers! I've gone round and round with his wife and him on this debate. I just need to keep praying for them.