An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Died Tonight Where Would You Go - How Would You Respond

thessalonian

well...i always figured hell to be a state of being than an actual place. A full on rejection of God and his great glory. I could never fully reject God, but am dependent on his mercy, so...purgatory for a 260 million years should do the trick i think.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1329417218' post='2388003']
How would you respond - If you died 2nite where would you go? Heaven or hell? This seems to be the most critical question for the Once Saved Always Saved crowd.
They make hay of people who say "well I would hope Jesus will take in to account the good that I have done". You gotta be sure of your salvation. So how would you answer?
[/quote]

There are Once Saved Always Saved churches down here that if you don't say heaven without doubt then you are not a Christian.

My answer to people that ask me this question is, "I defer that question to God. We are not to judge people, including ourselves."

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329486006' post='2388413']
My answer to people that ask me this question is, "I defer that question to God. We are not to judge people, including ourselves."
[/quote]

luv it

Hopefully purgatory, put it this way... if you don't have mortal sin on your soul, but some venial sin and you truly love God, I have a feeling you'll get to purgatory.

Edited by i<3LSOP

Archaeology cat

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329489078' post='2388431']
Hopefully purgatory, put it this way... if you don't have mortal sin on your soul, but some venial sin and you truly love God, I have a feeling you'll get to purgatory.
[/quote]A good Catholic answer,but not one accepted by the OSAS crowd, which I think is what Thes is thinking of. In my experience, having been raised OSAS, they do not believe in mortal/venial sin, so speaking of a distinction isn't going to go far. Yes, it's he truth, and shouldn't be denied, but to an extent you have to meet them where thy are in terms of understanding and terminology.

I was saved, I am being saved, and I hope to be saved. It's borderline blasphemy to think that you are now, in the state we are in, able to acquire heaven and the beatific vision.

Perhaps instead of dropping the name "Purgatory," you can say "My sinful human nature will be purified, and then I will enter Heaven" or something of that sort. You would think Baptists at least could agree with that statement.

Edit: And tack on "If it all works out." ;)

Edited by Hubertus

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1329490943' post='2388439']
Perhaps instead of dropping the name "Purgatory," you can say "My sinful human nature will be purified, and then I will enter Heaven" or something of that sort. You would think Baptists at least could agree with that statement.

Edit: And tack on "If it all works out." ;)
[/quote]Again in my experience, at least some Baptists could agree with that. I remember someone saying that we'd be purified instantly at death,but wouldn't callit Purgatory.

Good comments thus far. My assessment of protestantism is that it is a smorgasbord of theologies of which each individual protestant will have their scriptures lined up to defend as the Word of God, yet which clearly cannot all be true. I.e. 7 year premil, 3.5year pre-mil, postmil, no-mil, amil, etc. etc. Just as one example of the multitude of theologies on one topic that you all will defend to the grave.

Put another way - They protest the Catholic Church (Whch is where they get their name) for they KNOW that she is full of errors, yet boldly assert a selection from the smorgasbord of conflicting doctrine that they KNOW are completely compatible with the Word of God.

My question is how can they claim to KNOW anything? I.e. how can the KNOW in an absolute manner that they are saved.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1329442840' post='2388235']
I don't know where I would go but I would trust in the mercy and love of God and the sacrifice that Jesus made for me. It isn't important for me to 'know', only to trust. If I had time before death, I would make a confession, receive Last Rites, pray the Rosary and ask for Our Lady's intercession, and then leave the rest up to God. If I didn't have time, I would simply commend my soul to God.

No one can 'know'.
[/quote]

I believe it was Father Corapi whom said "You're not saved until your butt is in heaven!" :P

Love this quote:

If I am in a state of Grace, may God keep me there. If I am not, may God place me there. (St. Joan of Arc)

Proper attitude I'd say. : :like3:

Edited by thessalonian

Strictlyinkblot

I trust in God's mercy. Jesus, I trust in You. As I've been to confession a few days ago I may spend a short period in purgatory but I believe and I hope that my final destination is heaven.

My first response would be along the lines of Winchester's, would be to say "to the morgue" or "to the undertaker" and walk away.

If I wanted to be more theological or if pressed, I would simply say "in front of God for judgment".