An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Big Deal? Evolution

blacksheep

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1329521149' post='2388709']
I am limited to one finger typing, so this short. The is much literal history in the old testament written from a theological viewpoint. Kindly consider the times and the culture and experiences the sacred writers had to work with and that ours is a PATIENT God. :)
[/quote]
If I'm understanding you correctly. What you're saying is that because language was different, ie the use of parables, allegories rather than direct modern day descriptions. And the fact that people had little knowledge outside the square they live in and translation difficulties, has resulted in a somewhat different interpretation and that Jesus had come to clarify these things. Then I would be inclined to agree on that very likely possibility. However in the past when I have made such proposals many people have vehemently disagreed with that hypothesis. Can you clarify/add to what you wrote? And I only two finger type and spell check doesn't work in PM so I have to paste into word so I don't make myself appear a total asss. :paperbag: :unsure:

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

Sticking my neck out even further, In Genesis we have God telling Adam
[i]cursed is the earth in thy work; with labour and toil shalt thou eat thereof all the days of thy life. [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=1&ch=3&l=18#x"][18][/url] Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herbs of the earth. [[url="http://drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=1&ch=3&l=18#x"]Genesis 3:18[/url]] [[url="http://drbo.org/x/d?b=lvb&bk=1&ch=3&l=18#x"]Latin[/url]] [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=1&ch=3&l=19#x"][19][/url] In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return. [/i]
Sounds like a curse doesn't it? Lets write it another way similar to the prodigal son.
[i]Because love is only pure if it is given by free choice I cannot spoil you. I need to let go of nature and let you experience existence without my full control. And satisfy your will for your independance. And hence forth nature will produce unpleasant creatures and hardships from the environment which by your actions will be degraded even further. But I will always watch over you and not let your burdens become too great for your strength. [/i]
This is undoubtedly a simplistic explanation, I'm sure it's somewhat more complex. But I do find it difficult to believe that God created then found it did not meet his expectations so he needed to destroy it and start again. Sounds like an artist that tears up a painting he is disatisfied with and starts again. IMO Everything from the beginning till the last day has express purpose and is part of a plan of a most awsome God. :)

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329315689' post='2387413']
If man evolved from apes, then what did apes evolve from?
[/quote]

I always have fun with the super-literalists - I tell them that no, I am not descended from monkeys, because I am descended from chickens - and I have written proof in my safe deposit box!! (This is neither a joke nor a lie!!)

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1329529253' post='2388759']
I always have fun with the super-literalists - I tell them that no, I am not descended from monkeys, because I am descended from chickens - and I have written proof in my safe deposit box!! (This is neither a joke nor a lie!!)
[/quote]

[img]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-37.gif[/img]

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1329526213' post='2388743']
If I'm understanding you correctly. What you're saying is that because language was different, ie the use of parables, allegories rather than direct modern day descriptions. And the fact that people had little knowledge outside the square they live in and translation difficulties, has resulted in a somewhat different interpretation and that Jesus had come to clarify these things. Then I would be inclined to agree on that very likely possibility. However in the past when I have made such proposals many people have vehemently disagreed with that hypothesis. Can you clarify/add to what you wrote? And I only two finger type and spell check doesn't work in PM so I have to paste into word so I don't make myself appear a total asss. :paperbag: :unsure:
[/quote] Not allegories. Sacred writers/editors inspired by God working within a culture used what they knew. History is seen from a THEOLOGICAL standpoint: God working in time. One finger has given out :(