An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting Third Party?

Amppax

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328498808' post='2381924']
This article sums up my thoughts pretty well, I think.[/quote]

I very much disagree.

We are encouraged to vote because a country with a government supported by its population is obviously going to run better (in most cases). The fact that one vote does very little in the grand scheme of things is a very damaging attitude, especially if one spreads that to others. We need to move past our society's individualistic mentality of looking at what we ourselves are capable of accomplishing, and think about the big picture as a whole.

We as Catholics have a chance to make sure that those fighting for the Truth are represented (even if not elected) in elections. We have the ability to speak out for a better way of life and a better country, so we must take advantage of it, even if no one is going to listen. It is our civic duty, and to neglect to do so would be a grave omission. If those of us who know the Truth just simply stand by and watch, and give the government the silent treatment, they will just continue taking our money and using it for injustices like abortion. To sit around and wait for the government to devolve into tyranny would be enormously irresponsible and disloyal to our families and fellow citizens! I don't want my children to live in a country like that.

Anyway, as far as voting for third party, I think I'm down with it. If we just keep voting for the lesser of the two evils, I think what we consider the "lesser" is going to become more and more evil. The point of voting is to show who you support, not to show who you kind-of-support-mainly-just-because-he-has-a-chance.

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1328542624' post='2382343']
I very much disagree.

We are encouraged to vote because a country with a government supported by its population is obviously going to run better (in most cases). The fact that one vote does very little in the grand scheme of things is a very damaging attitude, especially if one spreads that to others. We need to move past our society's individualistic mentality of looking at what we ourselves are capable of accomplishing, and think about the big picture as a whole.
[/quote]

The assumption you're making here is that the current system is desirable and worth maintaining.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1328542288' post='2382341']
Where you 18 at the last election?
[/quote]

My parents absentee ballot. But no, I was 16 or 17 I think. Not sure.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1328542912' post='2382348']
My parents absentee ballot. But no, I was 16 or 17 I think. Not sure.
[/quote]

Well, he will be on this year's ballot again.

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1328542861' post='2382346']
No, just that the best way to change it for the better is to work within the system.
[/quote]

Would you have joined the SS in order to try to bring down Nazi Germany, or would you have preferred to join, for instance, the French Resistance?

</godwin>

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328546101' post='2382384']
Would you have joined the SS in order to try to bring down Nazi Germany, or would you have preferred to join, for instance, the French Resistance?

</godwin>
[/quote]

haha was about to call in godwin's law.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1328546411' post='2382387']
haha was about to call in godwin's law.
[/quote]

I believe they call what I did "hanging the lampshade."

I will give you that we are similar to Nazi Germany in the mass genocide occurring in abortion. But even so, our government system still holds more opportunity than that of a Fascist regime.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328546101' post='2382384']

</godwin>
[/quote]Is the US still an option? They won!

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328586218' post='2382846']
Is the US still an option? They won!
[/quote]
Nope. I don't wanna see any more nuclear weapons. Stick to guerilla warfare. ^_^

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1328585868' post='2382841']
I will give you that we are similar to Nazi Germany in the mass genocide occurring in abortion. But even so, our government system still holds more opportunity than that of a Fascist regime.
[/quote]
Economically speaking the US should probably be classified as corporatist.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328587166' post='2382863']
Nope. I don't wanna see any more nuclear weapons. Stick to guerilla warfare. ^_^

Economically speaking the US should probably be classified as corporatist.
[/quote]We won against Germany without the nukes! Japan, however...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPU4p7UQOtU[/media]
See what you just denied???

Edited by qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328589919' post='2382898']
We won against Germany without the nukes! Japan, however...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPU4p7UQOtU[/media]
See what you just denied???
[/quote]

Don't get me started on what Truman did to Japan. :sad2:
Seriously, it'll probably start a minor flame war. I've done it before, and I'll do it again and again until everybody agrees with me.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328587166' post='2382863']
Nope. I don't wanna see any more nuclear weapons. Stick to guerilla warfare. ^_^[/quote]

And when we go to war against a foe armed with nuclear weapons? Nuclear weapons are necessary in case the other guy has them. Don't get me wrong, their use should be avoided, but I can see a justified need to potentially use them. Hope to God that day never comes.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1328590041' post='2382902']
Don't get me started on what Truman did to Japan. :sad2:
Seriously, it'll probably start a minor flame war. I've done it before, and I'll do it again and again until everybody agrees with me.
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328590101' post='2382903']
If it makes you feel better, there's a very, very old thread in which I argued the bombing were completely unacceptable.
[/quote]

I agree. I used to argue for the bombings...but after reading some articles, I realized the case had holes.