An Old School Catholic Message Board

The More Planned Parenthood Speaks Up. The More We See The Vitriol

Jaime

dominicansoul

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1328642654' post='2383129']
Just a reminder - we're all on the same side, here.
[/quote]

The More Planned Parenthood Speaks Up. The More We See The Vitriol on Phatmass.... :P

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1328642654' post='2383129']
Just a reminder - we're all on the same side, here.
[/quote]

No worries Jack. The supporters of PP here on Phatmass generally lose interest when presented with the facts.

brianthephysicist

Jaime! I had no idea!

I've heard people mention the whole "Planned Parenthood is racist" a few times in the past but the person would never provide anything to back it up so it always just seemed like a coincidence. What you posted seemed to have some serious weight to it, so I decided to look for myself. It's crazy! I stumbled across the "Maafa 21" documentary and it completely rocked my worldview on this issue. They presented an amazingly clear case for why it is genocide.

I heartily recommend everyone watch this documentary, here's the trailer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnNi_qb7nY[/media]

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1328659680' post='2383273']
Jaime! I had no idea!

I've heard people mention the whole "Planned Parenthood is racist" a few times in the past but the person would never provide anything to back it up so it always just seemed like a coincidence. What you posted seemed to have some serious weight to it, so I decided to look for myself. It's crazy! I stumbled across the "Maafa 21" documentary and it completely rocked my worldview on this issue. They presented an amazingly clear case for why it is genocide.

[/quote]

You know I was the same way. I thought it was just people willing to accuse PP of anything. But when I was running a pro-life crisis pregnancy center, I started researching it more heavily. The more you look into the life of Margaret Sanger, the more dispicable she is.

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1328665460' post='2383335']
You know I was the same way. I thought it was just people willing to accuse PP of anything. But when I was running a pro-life crisis pregnancy center, I started researching it more heavily. The more you look into the life of Margaret Sanger, the more dispicable she is.
[/quote]They keep trying to distance themselves from her, but it's almost impossible to rid the organization of her filth...

That and they keep using her as an example of greatness too...

If they're trying to distance themselves from her, then why do they give out the Margaret Sanger Award?

And it's one thing if they were honestly trying to change the direction of the organization to get away from what she started, but they're not. Even if individual employees aren't racist, they still have abortion quotas that they're pressured to reach. Doesn't sound like distance at all, if you ask me.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1328666326' post='2383350']
If they're trying to distance themselves from her, then why do they give out the Margaret Sanger Award?

And it's one thing if they were honestly trying to change the direction of the organization to get away from what she started, but they're not. Even if individual employees aren't racist, they still have abortion quotas that they're pressured to reach. Doesn't sound like distance at all, if you ask me.
[/quote]Yeah, that claim to distancing comes from their website. I agree with you entirely: they're full of it! They only "distance" themselves when it's convenient, but really her ideas permeate the place and the organization as a whole admires her.

Yes, after I watched the Maafa doc I did some cursory research on how PP responds to these accusations, thinking maybe the doc was propagandist and not telling the full story.

I didn't find any "no that's not what happened," only "that was a long time ago we don't roll that way anymore," with little real proof that they actually purged this ideology from their organization.

Weak-arse argument imo

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1328686681' post='2383567']
Yes, after I watched the Maafa doc I did some cursory research on how PP responds to these accusations, thinking maybe the doc was propagandist and not telling the full story.

I didn't find any "no that's not what happened," only "that was a long time ago we don't roll that way anymore," with little real proof that they actually purged this ideology from their organization.

Weak-arse argument imo
[/quote]

The you didn't look very hard. Because there are numerous people who have flat out said that the film is propaganda and takes numerous quotes out of context or simply fabricates them. The idea that Planned Parenthood is some genocidal outfit is a conspiracy theory and I'm very hesitant to continue this argument because once you get mired down in the world of conspiracy theorists it's very difficult to extract yourself. But I will respond to at least the previous posts here sometime later today.

A decent article somewhat useful for showing that Sanger was a complex person. Not free of racial prejudice but not an avowed exterminate of the black race either.
[url="http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2011/12/dr-king-supported-margaret-sanger-planned-parenthood-why-won%E2%80%99t-you/"]http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2011/12/dr-king-supported-margaret-sanger-planned-parenthood-why-won%E2%80%99t-you/[/url]

Here you can find Martin Luther King Jr's stinging condemnation of Sanger and her reign of terror
[url="http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm"]http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm[/url]

[i][color=#776D59][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][left]There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger's early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister. She was willing to accept scorn and abuse until the truth she saw was revealed to the millions. At the turn of the century she went into the slums and set up a birth control clinic, and for this deed she went to jail because she was violating an unjust law. Yet the years have justified her actions. She launched a movement which is obeying a higher law to preserve human life under humane conditions. Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision; for without them there would have been no beginning. Our sure beginning in the struggle for equality by nonviolent direct action may not have been so resolute without the tradition established by Margaret Sanger and people like her. Negroes have no mere academic nor ordinary interest in family planning. They have a special and urgent concern.[/left][/font][/color][/i]

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1328648643' post='2383180']
No worries Jack. The supporters of PP here on Phatmass generally lose interest when presented with the facts.
[/quote]

I'm interested in the topic. I'm not terribly interested in discussing the topic with you. Which is nothing personal. But in this one respect you have adopted a vast conspiracy theory and I'm reluctant to jump in those waters. I guess I will though.

[quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1328659680' post='2383273']
Jaime! I had no idea!

[/quote]

[url="http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/2341/anti-choice_doc_aims_to_link_reproductive_rights_to_%25E2%2580%2598black_genocide%25E2%2580%2599"]http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/2341/anti-choice_doc_aims_to_link_reproductive_rights_to_%25E2%2580%2598black_genocide%25E2%2580%2599[/url]

Here you can find Martin Luther's complete support of Planned Parenthood

[quote][Martin Luther King, Jr.] once said, “The Negro cannot win as long as he is willing to sacrifice the lives of his children for comfort and safety.” How can the “Dream” survive if we murder the children? Every aborted baby is like a slave in the womb of his or her mother. The mother decides his or her fate.[sup][size="2"]1[/size][/sup][/quote]

This is from his niece, Alveda King's book.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328728213' post='2383789']
I'm interested in the topic. I'm not terribly interested in discussing the topic with you. Which is nothing personal. But in this one respect you have adopted a vast conspiracy theory and I'm reluctant to jump in those waters. I guess I will though.
[/quote]

It's not a conspiracy theory. And to blatantly disregard it as such is ignorant and perpetuates the racism.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328728027' post='2383784']
The you didn't look very hard. Because there are numerous people who have flat out said that the film is propaganda and takes numerous quotes out of context or simply fabricates them. The idea that Planned Parenthood is some genocidal outfit is a conspiracy theory and I'm very hesitant to continue this argument because once you get mired down in the world of conspiracy theorists it's very difficult to extract yourself. But I will respond to at least the previous posts here sometime later today.

A decent article somewhat useful for showing that Sanger was a complex person. Not free of racial prejudice but not an avowed exterminate of the black race either.
[url="http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2011/12/dr-king-supported-margaret-sanger-planned-parenthood-why-won%E2%80%99t-you/"]http://www.clutchmag...%E2%80%99t-you/[/url]

Here you can find Martin Luther King Jr's stinging condemnation of Sanger and her reign of terror
[url="http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm"]http://www.plannedpa...ing-jr-4728.htm[/url]

[left][i][color=#776d59][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger's early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister. She was willing to accept scorn and abuse until the truth she saw was revealed to the millions. At the turn of the century she went into the slums and set up a birth control clinic, and for this deed she went to jail because she was violating an unjust law. Yet the years have justified her actions. She launched a movement which is obeying a higher law to preserve human life under humane conditions. Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision; for without them there would have been no beginning. Our sure beginning in the struggle for equality by nonviolent direct action may not have been so resolute without the tradition established by Margaret Sanger and people like her. Negroes have no mere academic nor ordinary interest in family planning. They have a special and urgent concern.[/font][/color][/i][/left]

[/quote]

Incidentally Hasan, when did MLK say this and was abortion even on the table then? Nope it was 1966. Abortion was illegal and MLK who was a supporter of birth control, was supporting Sanger in that movement. To be fair, he had no idea to what end she was taking it. He was not familiar with her love for eugenics.