An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Incitement To Hatred?

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

Bishop Philip Boyce in Ireland has had a complaint made against him under the Incitement to Hatred law in Ireland and the police have sent the complaint to the public prosecutor. The Bishop was addressing worshipers at the Knock shrine during a novena. The title of his sermon was 'To Trust in God'.

A humanist accused him of inciting hatred against those who don't believe in God. The accusation comes because of two parts of the Bishop's homily

Firstly, he said that the Church is under attack from the arrows of a secular and Godless culture.

Secondly that as Christians we have a future, that our life has meaning and is not empty and will not end in emptiness.

[url="http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/29/revealed-bishop-boyce-could-face-charge-over-controversial-knock-sermon/"]http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/29/revealed-bishop-boyce-could-face-charge-over-controversial-knock-sermon/[/url]

Was wondering what other people thought of this. I don't see how its incitement to hatred. If a complaint is made to the police, and taken seriously over comments like this, what about the preaching of the Gospel?

Also,, why would a person who describes himself as a humanist attend a novena at the Knock shrine, one of the main Marian shrines? It seems to me he went there looking to be offended, if you know what I mean.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1327960857' post='2377860']
I just read this & thought this was unbelievable. Incitement to hatred my arse. <_<
[/quote]

My thoughts precisely

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1327991325' post='2378152']
Face it, there are some atheists who are just troublemakers.
[/quote]

and some who are just arses

Rule #1. Don't anger the Irish Catholics. The British Army, as well as Lord Mountbatten, is still realing from that Righteous Anger.

It doesn't read that way to me, but from my limited knowledge, Ireland's Incitement to Hatred law is a lot like Britain's anti-social behavior laws...which talking about your faith's beliefs can sometimes land you in jail.