An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newt Gingrich: Will You Vote For Him?

kujo

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1328050758' post='2378541']
Simply saying "pre-emptively bombing people" would suffice perfectly to make your point. No need to gratuitously play the race card like some kind of pinko liberal pantywaist.

What's next, yammering about "Islamophobia"? I've come to expect better from you.
[/quote]
I find it entertaining.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1328051336' post='2378545']
Well, his position on the poor, especially children is not great at all. The fact that he claimed child labor laws were "truly stupid,"

[/quote]
One of the few things he's right about.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1328050905' post='2378542']
Actually, Newt and his first wife were separated before she was dying of cancer. I certainly don't in the least bit approve of Newt's adulterous behavior, but the political mudslinging is exaggerated.
[/quote]Oui.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1328051336' post='2378545']
Well, his position on the poor, especially children is not great at all. The fact that he claimed child labor laws were "truly stupid," he also said poor kids didn't understand work unless it was illegal.

[i]Really poor children, in really poor neighborhoods, have no habits of working and have nobody around them who works, so they have no habit of showing up on Monday. They have no habit of staying all day; they have no habit of "I do this and you give me cash," unless it is illegal[/i]

In fact, three out of every 4 people under the poverty line have at least a part time job--many have more than that.

Since I have studied poverty, and have worked with the poor and will hopefully serve them as a religious sister one day, I cannot vote an adulterer or a man who knows absolutely nothing about poverty (and claims that poor children have no idea what "work" is) into office. I can't do it. He's not even pro-life.
[/quote]His response was that the child labor laws are doing more to harm our kids than they are to help him. His ideas for how to get the children to work was actually quite different than the reason we have child labor laws in the first place. A lot of his ideas were to get them to learn responsibility outside the house and to become invested in something, such as the care of their school.

While three out of four people below the poverty line may have jobs, does this pertain mostly to older or to the younger parts of that group? In other words, do teenagers under the poverty line tend to have regular jobs where they learn responsibility?

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328060196' post='2378649']
His response was that the child labor laws are doing more to harm our kids than they are to help him. His ideas for how to get the children to work was actually quite different than the reason we have child labor laws in the first place. A lot of his ideas were to get them to learn responsibility outside the house and to become invested in something, such as the care of their school.

While three out of four people below the poverty line may have jobs, does this pertain mostly to older or to the younger parts of that group? In other words, do teenagers under the poverty line tend to have regular jobs where they learn responsibility?
[/quote]

3 out of 4 below the poverty line ages 18-64. There is a huge number of working poor in this country. Many teenagers I have met through my work with the poor have part time jobs. They are finishing high school, and trying to go to community college. His plan for getting kids to work was to hire them as janitors. What children should be doing is be in after school programs that help them with their trouble subjects. Volunteering, working in student government, maybe even have a part time job. The Republican candidates really need to stop preaching tax breaks and anti-abortion--even though I totally agree abortion is wrong--and start worrying about the huge number of working poor and starving children in this country.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1328066226' post='2378734']
3 out of 4 below the poverty line ages 18-64. There is a huge number of working poor in this country. Many teenagers I have met through my work with the poor have part time jobs. They are finishing high school, and trying to go to community college. His plan for getting kids to work was to hire them as janitors. What children should be doing is be in after school programs that help them with their trouble subjects. Volunteering, working in student government, maybe even have a part time job. The Republican candidates really need to stop preaching tax breaks and anti-abortion--even though I totally agree abortion is wrong--and start worrying about the huge number of working poor and starving children in this country.
[/quote]Have you ever heard of the Christo Rey programs? There is an excellent Don Bosco Christo Rey program here in DC that has worked really well. It allows students to work in government jobs and other type fields to get themselves through high school. Their graduating class this last year (first I believe) had a 100% college acceptance rate. This is an amazing achievement and I wonder if some of it is in the background of Newt's ideas at all, especially since they are both linked to a particular Catholic location.

I strongly disagree about the preaching of anti-abortion. Right to life will always trump standard of living any day, though we definitely need to work to provide better for the poor.

Edited by qfnol31

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328066605' post='2378738']
Have you ever heard of the Christo Rey programs? There is an excellent Don Bosco Christo Rey program here in DC that has worked really well. It allows students to work in government jobs and other type fields to get themselves through high school. Their graduating class this last year (first I believe) had a 100% college acceptance rate. This is an amazing achievement and I wonder if some of it is in the background of Newt's ideas at all, especially since they are both linked to a particular Catholic location.

I strongly disagree about the preaching of anti-abortion. Right to life will always trump standard of living any day, though we definitely need to work to provide better for the poor.
[/quote]
I have heard of the Cristo Rey programs and think they are wonderful. However, I think there is a HUGE difference working in government jobs and working as janitors (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/11/newt-gingrich-thinks-school-children-should-work-as-janitors/248837/). I think Gingrich should also tackle the FAILING SCHOOLS that have set thousands of children back, not just put kids to work in their schools as janitors (who deal with hazardous chemicals and other things that harm the health of children). They deserve an education.

Indwelling Trinity

I simply do not see anyone worth voting for, Democrat or Republican... I do wish That Sarah Palin would run as a Dark Horse... Although not saavy on the international level, i think she is smart enough to surround herself with the right people who do have the expertise she is lacking. Gingrich i a joke to me concerning moral values. ...

yep, Sarah Palin... the smartest, most well educated, experienced and responsible conservative woman in the USA. She should definitely be president.

:rolleyes: lol, im sure you guys can do better than that.

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1328070109' post='2378787']Although not saavy on the international level, i think she is smart enough to surround herself with the right people who do have the expertise she is lacking.
[/quote]
That's a lot of people. She should put on some weight to maximize her surface area so that she can fit them all.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1328074957' post='2378817']
That's a lot of people. She should put on some weight to maximize her surface area so that she can fit them all.
[/quote]

Laughing.. so she is svelte in more than one area... nobody is perfect ;)

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1328070109' post='2378787']
I simply do not see anyone worth voting for, Democrat or Republican... I do wish That Sarah Palin would run as a Dark Horse... Although not saavy on the international level, i think she is smart enough to surround herself with the right people who do have the expertise she is lacking. Gingrich i a joke to me concerning moral values. ...
[/quote]

Yeh, look at how "surrounding (yourself) with the right people who do have the expertise that (he) is lacking" has worked out for the current guy!

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1328050478' post='2378540']

That's "ideological purity.'' Nothing intellectual about it.

I hear your point, and might be inclined to agree were not Obama's agenda so destructive.
Mostly I respectfully disagree that there will be absolutely [i]no[/i] difference between a Newt or Mitt presidency and an Obama presidency. Yes, the difference will for the most part (especially under Romney) be woefully and pathetically inadequate, but it would still be better than four more years of Obama.

The way I see it, it's about limiting damage. There's a fire spreading and destroying the building and everything inside. You have the options of containing it somewhat and limiting its spread, preserving a little bit of the property in the building, or you can do nothing and just let the whole beaver dam thing burn to the ground, on the basis that too much will be destroyed under the first option.

Neither option is pleasant, but the second is still preferable. Especially when you consider that two or three Supreme Court justices will likely be nominated in the next four years.
[/quote]

Great post, man. Kudos.

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1328070109' post='2378787']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMDW0xVgewk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMDW0xVgewk[/url]