An Old School Catholic Message Board

White House Honors Catholic Educators

Papist

[quote name='Servus_Mariae' timestamp='1327851108' post='2376950']
I agree with this...but this goes against what you said above. I think its clear he really isn't doing "a nice thing". So, like you, it's worth calling out when seen.
[/quote]

I don't think it really "goes against" what I said above. I do think it's nice that he honors Catholic educators, along with other teachers as well. They, along with nurses, are about the most chronically underappreciated people in this country. I am a full time restaurant manager, and I make more money each year than a teacher or nurse...and I don't make a lot of money, FYI.

That being said, I'm not so naive as to think this was anything other than just-another-photo-op for Obama. Aside from what I said about him being no more or less insincere than other politicians, I would point out that my impression of him is that he--and his family--appear to relish the celebrity-aspect of his being the "leader of the free world" more than previous presidents. It seems like this dude is hanging out with this "star" or that, referencing "hip" movies or songs or artists, and just generally being a celebrity. Add to it the fact that he is on TV talking to some group every 39 seconds...

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327852689' post='2376956']
That being said, I'm not so naive as to think this was anything other than just-another-photo-op for Obama.
[/quote]

Real appreciation of these chronically under-appreciated folks WOULD be nice, but by your own admission that's not what it was.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1327861198' post='2377015']

Real appreciation of these chronically under-appreciated folks WOULD be nice, but by your own admission that's not what it was.
[/quote]

Something is better than nothing. If we were to approach a door at the same time, I would hold the door for you. Now, I might do it for a reason you disagree with, but the door is still held open for you nonetheless.

EDIT: An example of a reason I might open the door for you is because my mother always told me to do it. I dont buy in to whatever passes as "chivalry" these days. I believe in equality, and women are more than capable of opening doors for themselves. Still, my mother told me it was important to do so, as a sign of respect. And so I do it.

Edited by kujo

if someone didn't really respect me, I'd rather be ignored and unacknowledged than for someone to feign appreciation.

but thas jus me

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327794308' post='2376707']
I don't engage in the sort of hyperbole and demonizing of Obama and Democrats, because I feel it's unnecessary
[/quote]
Instead you reserve it for any politicians to the right of Mitt Romney.

Which is totally your prerogative - free speech and all that. But complaining about people applying much milder criticism towards Obama is quite hypocritical on your part.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1327807049' post='2376817']
Kujo, as someone who does indeed notice that at times people can bash liberals based on emotionalism and bias, I also think you magnify this bias to something bigger than it is. I assume you've been to other places on the internet. In terms of liberal bashing pm is pretty tame.
[/quote]
It's hardly confined to the bashing of liberals. It's not like liberals generally treat conservatives kindly and fairly on teh interwebz. In fact, the ugliest and nastiest garbage I've seen has come from the anti-Christian Left.

But much as people complain, I think the general level of civility and such is a lot higher on phatmass than most other places.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1327885956' post='2377275']

Instead you reserve it for any politicians to the right of Mitt Romney.
[/quote]

I was hoping Fred Thompson would run again. I briefly worked for his even-briefer campaign in 2008 and find his politics, his style and his ideas very compatible with mine--save for a few things. I also like Ron Paul and Gov. Mitch Daniels, both of whom are quite a bit further to the right of Mitt Romney.

Still, in this current crop of candidates, Mitt Romney is my choice. He's the best of a very weak batch of candidates. That's my view anyway. Thought I'd clear that up for you so that next time you felt the need to generalize about my political beliefs and what not, you'd have some specific targets to aim at.

Edited by kujo

dominicansoul

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327711605' post='2376382']
LOL....guy really can't do anything right, can he? Even when he's doing a nice thing, you guys bash him. Hilarious.
[/quote]

hi kujo! :wave:

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1327889209' post='2377304']
I was hoping Fred Thompson would run again. I briefly worked for his even-briefer campaign in 2008 and find his politics, his style and his ideas very compatible with mine--save for a few things. I also like Ron Paul and Gov. Mitch Daniels, both of whom are quite a bit further to the right of Mitt Romney.

Still, in this current crop of candidates, Mitt Romney is my choice. He's the best of a very weak batch of candidates. That's my view anyway. Thought I'd clear that up for you so that next time you felt the need to generalize about my political beliefs and what not, you'd have some specific targets to aim at.
[/quote]
The point remains that you are certainly not above wild [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hyperbole and demonizing of politicians you don't like, so whining about others doing the same to Obama is hypocritical.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1327950796' post='2377757']

The point remains that you are certainly not above wild [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hyperbole and demonizing of politicians you don't like, so whining about others doing the same to Obama is hypocritical.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Prove it. You make the claim...I say prove it.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1327950796' post='2377757']

[/quote]

Prove it. You make the claim...I say prove it.