An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus (Closed And Redirected)

Laudate_Dominum

I heard someone say that we're all spiritual, whether we acknowledge it or not, and religion is just the application of spirituality.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1326740183' post='2370044']
Some respond to the so-called "new atheists" by saying, sure, religion poisons everything, but faith in Jesus is different. Basically conceding many points to the general critique of "religion" but try to make room for a vague concept of faith or spirituality. I dunno. Not sure if that's related.
[/quote]

It's probably related. It's easy just to say "look at all the people who kill over religion" instead of giving a serious and rigorous analysis of history. But for people who want to believe in God despite this "fact" I guess saying it's not a religion at all is one way.

People confuse religion with religiosity. I think the latter is what he meant to speak of. The language for communicating this in society needs to improve. I knew people like that. They go to church too, maybe not Catholic or Orthodox, but a body of believers, following some semblence of Biblical order. Protestantism and Christianity in general is religion. We (society) don't distinguish enough between religion and religiosity and we need to speak it and preach it against this ignorance.

Edited by Light and Truth

missionseeker

Today, one of my coworkers was watching that (with someone else) and I said it was a bunch of bull. They got mad, I sad Jesus said "follow me" - How can you follow someone without doing what they do/obeying their rules?" They said nothing. :idontknow:

Here's Jimmy Akin's $.02

[url="http://jimmyakin.com/2012/01/why-i-hate-people-hating-on-religion.html#.TxMk8BBDw7Q.blogger"]http://jimmyakin.com/2012/01/why-i-hate-people-hating-on-religion.html#.TxMk8BBDw7Q.blogger[/url]

Fr Pontifex is recording a response video as we speak. Spirit Juice studios is filming and producing. Phatmass will get a shout out at the end. Let's pray that it will get lots of views, because it's a message that needs to be heard.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFoIDsBTcc[/media]

This guy is a Salesian of Don Bosco. :)

D'oh! :doh: Oremoose beat me to it...

And here's a more aggressive one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SejuPK4M330[/media]

Edited by MithLuin

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

easy response. Jesus had 12 disciples, a gathering of a number of people in the name of Jesus is part of religion and part of jesus.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

sorry can't watch vids, low on cred. But i have started saying now that man was born to be religious, my godson whom has had a brain injury since 6 months old said to me, you don't eat -you won't POOP!!!!!!- don't POOP!!!!!! and you will die. :) we do many things religiously,even if one where to sit on a pilon in the middle of india somone has to religiously bring him food and even though there iz relatively no movement for the man on the pole there is still some movement including the world around him, just look at the sun moving across the sky religiously day in and day out, without religion we would die whether you practise your religious beliefs with others or personaly or a bit of both. But in that am thinking of a passage in the N.T. and saint paul talks about true religion, i can't remember the whole passage, hopefully i stumble accross it again one day, but i guess i would like to believe true religion sustains the deeper need of man to love and be loved unconditionally, and you only get that from GOD without assuming that GOD is a doormat. Nothing can give us that unconditional love that we crave,no man or women,dog or cat,t.v. or radio,drug or fish etc etc. Although essentially none of these things are particularily evil in moderation except maybe recreational drug use. Anyhow i'm staryting to ramble hopefully me saying this has re-established this bus in my memory banks that need to be religiously carved into my brain or very quickly my electrons in my brain can switch tracks to another bus line searching for that unconditional love,which it will anyway no doubt but that was just a scietific spin for those unbelievers but for the believers we do know it ain't all will power or in the mind that there is the heart of the matter too and god can even see the secrets of the heart. Oh and the soul but that one iz a great mystery :) ok bless

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye