An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus (Closed And Redirected)

Laudate_Dominum

Laudate_Dominum

It's the title of the video. Figured it might start an interesting debate.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY[/media]

ThePenciledOne

Its implicit message is dumb. I love my Protestants, but this is grade A mainstream Christianity croutons.

Edited by ThePenciledOne

Religion builds Churches but fail to feed the poor? As I recall, when Mary Magdalene bought perfume to use to wash Jesus' feet Peter complained that the money could have better been put towards helping the poor. To this Christ rebuked that while the poor would always be with them, he would so be for only a short while.

I think people like this are fairly vapid. They have some vague, hippyish view of Jesus but don't really grapple with the actual text. Many of the vices of institutionalized religion go back to the original source.

[quote name='Tony' timestamp='1326408520' post='2367910']
well kid.. if It wasn't for Martin Luther you wouldn't have to make this video.
[/quote]

Yeah. That silly head. He ruined such a great system. If it weren't for Martin Luther we might not have religious freedom and your despotic Church would be able to still yet violently enforce compliance with its 'truths.'

Oh snap! Ive seen a video by this guy about saving yourself for marriage! I really thought he did an AMAZING job at it! But I didnt know he did this...or rather I suppose I didnt really look much further into his material. Kinda makes me sad. :cry:

Didnt Jesus establish a religion though? Like ugh..whats it called....lemme think.... Catholicism?
Maybe we're talking about a different Jesus :disguise:

Blajhrhiowefdk1!11 I cant watch that video. He needs some bible lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he was reading it upside down.

Edited by CrossCuT

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1326409275' post='2367920']
Well-intentioned
Well-executed
Poorly thought out
Weak message.
[/quote]

Probably the nicest summation possible.

Singer/songwriter Audrey Assad says it best on her Facebook:

[quote]Religion is defined as a system of beliefs concerning a God or gods, simply put, and defined as such, Christianity (including “plain and simple” “Bible Christianity”) is a religion. Jesus didn’t come to “abolish religion” — He clearly states that He did not come to abolish the Law and the Prophets (Judaism) but to fulfill them. He instituted rituals, like the Lord’s Supper and Baptism, and commanded us to follow them.

What this guy hates is hypocrisy, not religion. He hates what he believes religion to be, not what it is. Religion, as my friend Marc put it so well in the blog I’m linking to below, is “an urge as primordial as sex and song.” It can be done poorly, it can be done well, but it itself is not inherently bad. It’s part of who we are.
[/quote]

Too, I've heard much better spoken word. HSM is right; it's weak.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1326408868' post='2367914']
Yeah. That silly head. He ruined such a great system. If it weren't for Martin Luther we might not have religious freedom and your despotic Church would be able to still yet violently enforce compliance with its 'truths.'
[/quote]
Or we might not have had centuries of violent religious wars across much of Europe sparked by the Protestant Revolt. And if you give me croutons about how it was all because of those evil, despotic Catholics oppressing those poor, innocent Protestants who only wanted to live in peace, it shows a serious ignorance of history. Many Catholics were violently persecuted at the hands of protestants.