An Old School Catholic Message Board

Martial Arts/combat/fighting Sports

DMcB

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1327633827' post='2376006']
All the sports you mentioned are great for children. They teach them responsibility, build their confidence and character. I studied Goju ryu from age 5 until age 11 its an Okinawan karate known as the hard/soft style, I acheived a 1st dan black belt, thats the first level in the black belt. I then quit to take up boxing and had 87 fights total, about half club fights, which are inter gym and with neighboring gyms and the rest were record matches. A child or a young man who participates in these sports will never be a bully, will never start a fight or fight without provocation, but he will be more than capable of defending himself. he will also be self confident and in great physical condition, its hard to be a couch potato when you run 6 miles each morning before school, not to be confused with jogging, boxers run at a fast pace with hand wraps on and flicking punches at times to keep their arms loose.

I highly reccomend boxing for your sons, karate would be appropriate for your girls if you have any. as its more about blocks and feints than actual contact when learning, boxing on the other hand is full contact from the first day, and even with head gear used while training a nose can be broken or an ear cartilage can be deformed. Of course your girl could fall from her skates or bicycle and do the same thing, but a boy is much more physical than a girl anyway, and why would one want their girl to fight anyway?

ed
[/quote]

Besides the never be a bully (which I disagree with based on several people I've known personally) I agree with the rest of it. I know several kids who studied different martial arts who I would definitely classify as bullies.