An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Phat Really Have A Beer Forum?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

AccountDeleted

I think Jesus might have enjoyed a beer if they had refrigeration in His day. He drank wine (and probably red wine at that) but that can be served at room temperature. I only like a beer if it is really cold on a hot day. Otherwise I prefer a glass of wine, or sherry sometimes.

Some Protestants are tee total but the good thing about Catholics is that they have always enjoyed their 'fruit of the vine'. Let's face it, even the Bible says "God made wine to cheer man's heart." And as I said before, if they had cold beer in those days, it might have said "God made beer to cheer man's heart." instead :P

brandelynmarie

Posted this elsewhere. :pope2: :havebeer: :cheers:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319576940' post='2326989']
Blessing of Beer
V. Adiutorium nostrum in nomine Domini.
R. Qui fecit caelum et terram.

V. Dominus vobiscum.
R. Et cum spiritu tuo.

Oremus.
Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisiae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi, et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti; ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corpus et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum.
R. Amen.

Et aspergatur aqua benedicta.

English translation
V. Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R. Who made heaven and earth.

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.
Bless, + O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord.
R. Amen.

And it is sprinkled with holy water. (Very clean holy water, one would hope!) :pope2:

I started this post to prevent total hijacking of another thread that is discussing a possible brewery tour :havebeer:

Oh & I found this here: [url="http://fatherschnippel.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-new-favorite-prayer.html"]http://fatherschnipp...ite-prayer.html[/url] :)
[/quote]

Edited by brandelynmarie

Tab'le I know how devastating alcoholism is and how much work it takes to get better, so if you need to avoid the liquor phorum please do. Most people don't experience alcohol that way so they won't feel the same way. But that's ok. You just do what God needs you to do.

Maggie is right. People who have never had an alcohol problem are able to drink socially, without getting drunk or even wanting to get drunk, but for alcoholics this just isn't possible. This is why experts on the the treatment of alcohol addiction recommend that former alcoholics never drink again. To stay well, you need to be teetotal, otherwise you might slip back into the addiction.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1324477114' post='2355053']
Im saddened by the lack of appreciation for rum around here :(

[img]http://www.choosy-beggars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/kraken_bottle.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Funny story. Up until last week I had never had spiced rum. I've had regular rum- Appleton Estate and Newfoundland Screech, and it was ok. Maybe a little boring. Very boring compared to a good single malt scotch. But I didn't realize at the time how different spiced rum was. Honestly, I thought it was just a marketing gimmick on the part of Captain Morgan's. Then I tried some the other day, and was so surprised. The spice really adds something great to the rum. In terms of sweetness, straight up it's right at the top of the scale of what I enjoy, so it was a really nice experience all around. ^_^

[/hijack]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1324459329' post='2354998']
I don't think any Catholic would object to one drink a day,[/quote]

Surely one must have at least one day dedicated holy to the lord without a drink of alcohol. :) but i do get the rest of your post and said a few days a week. i love you guys i feel your warming up to me,and if you hate me sometimes thats ok coz i'm not always right and in need of rebuke,hopefully gentle but firm rebuke :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1324506078' post='2355406']
My God, do not try to take liquor away from the Catholics. You can't imagine the horrors and atrocities that would take place.
[/quote]

Surely i never said that :)