An Old School Catholic Message Board

No Church On Christmas? Is This A Joke?

AccountDeleted

Wouldn't it make more sense to have MORE services on Christmas Eve and Christmas since all the "Christmas and Easter" Catholics will be there, unlike on most weekends??

*this brings up a pet peeve of mine. Why don't priests mention at Christmas and Easter Masses that only those who have attended Mass on all Sundays and Holy Days can come up to receive communion?? I think so many people have no idea that it's a mortal sin not to go to church regularly, and yet essentially 100% of the Catholics who show up on these days receive Holy Communion.

Edited by Totus Tuus

southern california guy

It sounds to me like the Pastors or the Priests don't want to "work" on Christmas either. So they are trying to find a way to rationalize cutting the Sunday services.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='southern california guy' timestamp='1325074847' post='2358478']
It sounds to me like the Pastors or the Priests don't want to "work" on Christmas either. So they are trying to find a way to rationalize cutting the Sunday services.
[/quote]

Well I can't accuse my priest of not wanting to work since he covers four parishes, and over Christmas did two Masses on Christmas Eve in two different towns, and then three on Christmas Day in three different towns - and we are talking hundreds of kilometres of travel over those two days alone. In addition to that, he still offered the Saturday morning Reconciliation and Mass in one town and the Children's school graduation Mass in another on the Friday. He doesn't even have a single residence since he has to work across four towns so far apart, so he alternates living in one town for a week, and another for another week.

I don't know why the Protestants cancel their Sunday services unless it is so families can be together, but I certainly don't think our priests are lazy.

• 4 weeks later...
inunionwithrome

We always have three Masses on Christmas Eve. The 4 PM Children's Christmas Mass, a vigil at 7PM, and Midnight Mass. This year, the 7PM Christmas Mass was so overcrowded that my family and I who only live 2 miles from the Church, turned around and went back on Christmas Day at 11AM. We only have one priest for 650 families! So, it was actually nice to go on Christmas Day because usually we go at the 7PM but I cannot stand for very long periods of time, nor can my mother. It was beautiful though because our priest's parents were there and the creche that was in the Church he had made in high school. Very appropriate! :)