An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anti-Abortion And Pro-Choice?

southern california guy

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1324301289' post='2353659']
You can treat the mother to save her life, and the baby may die, unintentionally, as a result. However, the treatment to save the mother's life cannot be the intentional killing of her baby.

my grandpa died in surgery about 6 months ago, i accept that the surgeons where trying to save his life not take it so therefore was not in anyway mal-practise or evil.

[url="http://www.cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffid=56"]http://www.cuf.org/f...iew.asp?ffid=56[/url]
[/quote]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

i don't know how my previous post ended up in the quote papists post box seriously wow,was that malpractise or a gliche or random mistake.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1324302650' post='2353666']
i don't know how my previous post ended up in the quote papists post box seriously wow,was that malpractise or a gliche or random mistake.
[/quote]the devil did it :P :)

I think that, on the surface, no one is pro-abortion. Meaning, no one is like, sign me up! I want one! The more the better....

So, everyone feels like they can safely say they are anti-abortion. Abortion should be [i]rare[/i]...it should only be used when [i]necessary[/i], when the alternatives are [i]worse[/i]....

Okay, to be honest, I can't really repeat that argument without feeling a bit sick to my stomach. Because what that really means is...let everyone do whatever they want, and don't worry about it. If the goal were actually to make abortions rare, then I would respect the position a lot more. After all, making abortion illegal is one way of trying to reduce the number of abortions, but talking people out of it and offering them resources to help them out is also good.

Pro-choice tends to mean that someone thinks abortion should be both [i]a)[/i] legal and [i]b)[/i] generally available/accessible to the people who want one. This stance is not anti-abortion in any practical sense. Meaning...nothing is done to reduce the demand for abortions, and even obstacles like parental consent are circumvented. [Which boggles the mind - a school nurse can't give a 16-yr-old tylenol without a parent's signature.]

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1324303640' post='2353672']

Pro-choice tends to mean that someone thinks abortion should be both [i]a)[/i] legal and [i]b)[/i] generally available/accessible to the people who want one. This stance is not anti-abortion in any practical sense. Meaning...nothing is done to reduce the demand for abortions, and even obstacles like parental consent are circumvented. [Which boggles the mind - a school nurse can't give a 16-yr-old tylenol without a parent's signature.]
[/quote]

This is a great point. Parents have to give permission for everything except when it comes to sexual related medical things. Any teen can go to Planned Parenthood and get contraceptives without their parents permission and even get counselling about abortions. How can the age of consent be 18 and yet kids can get contraceptives and abortion advice before that without parental consent? Mind boggling.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1324302069' post='2353663']
Yes, this was covered in another thread as well. Saving the life of the mother is okay, but the intention must not be to kill the baby, rather the unfortunate result of it. It is a technicality, yes, but a very good one to remember to prevent an abuse of this. The baby may die as a result of the intervention but this is not the intention.
[/quote]
What if saving the mother fuctionally=killing the baby and vice versa? If this is done to save the mother's life, is the medical practices process of abortion suddenly different? Is an abortificant suddenly something else just because the intention is to kill the baby? Or if this is the only say to save the mother, is it immoral to save one life in place of another?

Edited by Light and Truth

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1324303640' post='2353672']Pro-choice tends to mean that someone thinks abortion should be both [i]a)[/i] legal and [i]b)[/i] generally available/accessible to the people who want one.[/quote]
So because I do not think that it should be accessible to just anyone or anywhere near used just as birth control, am I considered pro-life rather than pro-choice?

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1324309588' post='2353698']
What if saving the mother fuctionally=killing the baby and vice versa? If this is done to save the mother's life, is the medical practices process of abortion suddenly different? Is an abortificant suddenly something else just because the intention is to kill the baby? Or if this is the only say to save the mother, is it immoral to save one life in place of another?
[/quote]

I am not really sure what you just said, but you can't intentionally kill someone in order to save someone else. The key word here is [b]intentionally[/b].

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1324145300' post='2352822']
Well, I [i]personally [/i]am against the systematic rape and torture of the elderly and mentally handicapped, but I think it would be presumptuous of me to try and impose that view on [i]everyone.[/i]
[/quote]
Exactly. "Pro-choice" is simply rhetorical hogwash designed to distract from the central issue of what's involved.

"Pro-choicers" are for legalized killing of unborn babies.
If abortion truly is murder (as we believe), then it should not be a legal choice anymore than the choice to murder any other person.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1324310395' post='2353710']
I am not really sure what you just said, but you can't intentionally kill someone in order to save someone else. The key word here is [b]intentionally[/b].
[/quote]
Ok, so fetuses that are stuck in felopian tubes should be left there to more than likely kill both mother and child, since moving them to the uterus would kill the fetus and a fetus of a woman with cancer can go through whatever slow, painful death chemo brings to him. This is a fallen world. Every once in a while, all you have are "wrong" choices.

I think he or she just meant that she was "personally" against abortion but thought everyone should have their own choice. It is, granted, the most ridiculous and relativistic opinion on abortion in my opinion.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1324310395' post='2353710']
[/quote]

The answer is No. However, based on Double Effect you CAN remove a pregnancy, thereby causing the fetuses death, when your intention is to save the mother and not to kill the baby. There is no obligation to do so, however, if one wishes to sacrifice her life in order to not cause the baby's death of her own choice.

I haven't read any of the previous posts because A) I don't want to and B) I don't have time. So excuse me for any repetitiveness, ignorance, etc.
People who say they're "pro-choice and anti-abortion" are stupid. Seriously, they're just stupid. They simply have to get off their little planet where they think that what is most important is peoples' comfort and that what is right for one person isn't right for another. Also, they should probably look up the statistics on rape, medical situations, and the like. Perhaps once they see those, they'll understand that there's a disproportionate amount of abortions being performed to the amount of pregnancies from rape and pregnancies with severe medical difficulties in which the mother's life is at risk. Call me harsh, but the whole moral relativism aspect of this issue makes me sick. Not to mention we're dealing with a holocaust here.

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1324328288' post='2353857']
Ok, so fetuses that are stuck in felopian tubes should be left there to more than likely kill both mother and child, since moving them to the uterus would kill the fetus and a fetus of a woman with cancer can go through whatever slow, painful death chemo brings to him. This is a fallen world. Every once in a while, all you have are "wrong" choices.
[/quote]
First of all, mercy killing (which you are suggesting by implying that a fetus should be removed from fallopian tubes in order to not have to go through suffering) is not acceptable under any circumstances. The only circumstances in which it would be OK to allow the death of the child is if the child's presence in the mother's body was guaranteed to cause her imminent death, and if removal of the fetus is done not with the intention of killing the baby, but with the intention of saving the mother. However, as I said, what you are implying would not be an acceptable reason to kill the baby. Regardless of deformations or sufferings that a baby may have to suffer through in utero or after birth, there is no acceptable reason to end its life unless such is being done in order to save the mother without the direct intention of ending the baby's life.

God the Father

It's pretty complicated to try and philosophically comprehend the way "law" and "morality" and "society" all interact.

I consider the systematic slaughter of cows, chickens, and pigs unethical. Would I be in favor of making the practice illegal?

As someone who at one time would have called himself an "anarchist" in utter seriousness, I'd say no. People do have the choice to do evil. That's what free will is, right? I'd also be in favor of permitting anyone else to detect that evil and do what they wished to stop it, of course, but that's a fairy tale.

The "rule of law," obviously, is not something I've ever really been able to reconcile, and it's the entire pivot point of this topic. Why does "society" as a whole decide that killing a grownup, or even a child, is not permissible-- or "legal," but killing a proto-child, or a cow, is totally okay with at least a fraction of the same group? I can't begin to explain that discrepancy, but I'd challenge anyone to deny it exists. That's why this is an issue at all.

Meanwhile, an act like adultery (or investment banking :evil:) is considered unethical by just about everyone, yet this action is [i]not[/i] considered criminal among the same group. Why not? An issue of practicality, it would seem. (Admittedly, I think we'd all agree that the victims of abortion have more on the line than those of adultery)

It would seem to me that there exist constituents beyond the scope of "society" or the "law" to protect. Like cows. Whether it's outlawed or not, "God" has endowed humanity with the choice to kill cows. And people. In that way, isn't He "pro-choice?" Evil can't truly be outlawed, as much as I wish it could be.

So from my perspective, ranchers have a choice to kill cows, and pregnant women have a choice to kill their baby. If it's convenient for both, they will not hesitate to commit the evil. And who can protect the victim? Were that evil illegal, the fact of its illegality would not restore the millions of victims to life, nor be very effective in preventing future commissions of the evil, should they be convenient for the evildoer.

I always find it hard to articulate my stance on things. As someone who finds abortion utterly reprehensible and a comprehensive perversion of humanity, I wouldn't find much comfort in its illegality, or any attempt by the state to exact vengeance. How many lives would be saved? The same quantity preserved by legislation prohibiting the killing of adults? I'm not certain that any person with the capacity to consider taking a human (notice I've dropped my animal rights kick for the moment, haha) life arbitrarily would really be moved by the law.

In short, I don't feel that the government is capable of protecting these children. Obviously I strongly oppose any kind of legislation that tries to claim abortion is in any way ethical, acceptable, or to be protected--how completely ridiculous. I'm steadfastly anti-abortion and would never identify myself as "pro-choice." But I don't see its criminalization as productive. It would seem from my perspective that God is the only power capable of taking accountability for this.

This is not an opinion I hold comfortably, but I can comprehend where someone would be at once "anti-abortion," but also uncomfortable supporting laws against it.