An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Percent Out Of A 100 Are You Convinced That The God Of The Bible

Laudate_Dominum

I'm going to do the Fr. Z thing rather than have a boat load of quote blocks. [color=#0000ff][b]My comments in blue.[/b][/color]

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1324261691' post='2353451']... [[color=#0000ff][b]Post that I disagree with[/b][/color]] ...[/quote]

There is no estimation on planets, because we've only just figured out how to 'see' them and thus have just begun looking for them over the past few years. [color=#0000FF][b]Not true. We have data for making plenty of good estimates about planets in the galaxy.[/b][/color] So, yes, we have found some, but do not yet have a way to determine how 'likely' they are to be around particular stars. [color=#0000FF][b]We make estimates commensurate with current data, which is actually sufficient to get the big picture.[/b][/color] The data is just too limited. [color=#0000FF][b]Too limited for what?[/b][/color] But as we explore the existence of planets around more and more stars, we will be able to start making some crude estimates. [color=#0000FF][b]Estimates already exist in the peer-reviewed literature.[/b][/color] As an example of what limited evidence does...we've taken the structure of our solar system as the 'standard' (because what else is there to go by??), thus assuming that rocky planets are closer to stars and gas giants are further away. The first planet we found around another star? Larger than Jupiter and closer to its star than Mercury (which is why we were able to 'see' its gravitational effect on its star.) [color=#0000FF][b]A lot has happened in the [i]twenty years[/i] since that discovery was made.[/b][/color]

Number of stars is very difficult to estimate. [color=#0000FF][b]Depends on how precise you want to be.[/b][/color] There are thought to be around 100 billion stars in our galaxy (the Milky Way). [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#0000FF][b]Best estimates say 300 ± 100 billion stars.[/b][/color][/font] But...there are also estimated to be about 100 billion GALAXIES out there, and we of course have no idea how many stars are in each of them. Certainly quite a lot! [color=#0000FF][b]Assuming the known lower bound on the current size of the universe (diameter = 78 billion ly). A plausible upper bound (given inflation) on the current size of the universe would increase this diameter by 10^50. Whether or not the physical universe is in fact infinite is an open question.[/b][/color]

[color=#0000ff][b]It has been predicted that there are perhaps billions of terrestrial planets in the habitable zone of an F, G, or K type star within our own mediocre galaxy (34% ± 14% of all FGK stars host one or more terrestrial planets in the habitable zone; in the near future we will have higher resolution estimates which predict planetary distribution based on ESI - that is, Earth-Similarity Index). Just sticking with that (in other words, leaving aside the many hypothetical ways in which conditions suitable for life could be possible), the number of potentially Earth-like planets just in our local cluster is staggering. Using the lower bound on the volume of the universe (which may be fifty or more orders of magnitude too small), and making some other highly conservative assumptions, we can modestly expect quadrillions of Earth-like planets in the universe (and this is a very, very conservative estimate). I find it to be truly audacious when people suggest that our little spec of dust is the only place in all the universe with something interesting going on. I can easily cough up doc dumps if you're interested.[/b][/color]

There is one universe. I am aware of multiverse theories, but they're pretty much cheating to try to make sense of quantum stuff (which isn't really supposed to make sense). But, by definition, 'all that is' is part of the universe. You can't go 'outside' the universe! [color=#0000ff][b]Disagree. Possibly willing to spew and doc dump if interested.[/b][/color]

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324203468' post='2353257']
speed of a 30 caliber bullet is gonna be around 2300 feet per second or 0.5 miles per second. faster ones can manage a mile per second.
escape velocity is V = square root of ((2 * Gravitational constant * Mass of planet) / distance from center of gravity/planet)

works out to about 11.2km per second(7 MilesPerSecond) is the necessary speed for a ballistic(non propelled) object to break free of earths orbit and come to a complete stop in space, past the pull of earths gravity. that speed plus a little bit aimed in the right direction would make it to the moon.

but that is about 14 times faster than an average long distance rifle bullet travels, and probably close to 30 times as fast as the average shotgun load.

so im not sure what the question was, but thats the answer for it.
[/quote]
It is much greater than that.
You have only catered for the effects of gravity, but not taken into account the resistance encountered by the bullet as it travels through the atmosphere, this is significant.
But anyway, it was a great attempt, I enjoyed reading through the calculations you offered.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1324168542' post='2352946']
I don't subscribe to a god of the gaps.
How many stars and planets are there estimated to be in our universe?
How many universes could there be in all of existence?
[/quote]

I dont know. But I do know that God knows. And He might even tell you, if you asked.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324236860' post='2353337']
thanks for the double check, though im not sure why they used rimfire .22lr as a typical bullet, its about half as fast as most(many versions arent even supersonic), and weighs about 2-3 times less than most
[/quote]
Sure. That site is pretty handy. I would have underestimated the speed of a bullet but not escape velocity and the basic mechanics. I spend most of my time thinking about space for crying out loud. lol.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1324264858' post='2353482']
You have only catered for the effects of gravity, but not taken into account the resistance encountered by the bullet as it travels through the atmosphere, this is significant.
But anyway, it was a great attempt, I enjoyed reading through the calculations you offered.
[/quote]
Hehe. If this is a serious conversation there are many more problems besides that. There have been some pretty neat "space gun" projects now that I think about it. Although good luck going from zero to 11.2 km/s with a little piece of lead and finding out what happens with air friction. hehe.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1324265577' post='2353488']
Sure. That site is pretty handy. I would have underestimated the speed of a bullet but not escape velocity and the basic mechanics. I spend most of my time thinking about space for crying out loud. lol.
[/quote]

yup yup. well i spend much more time thinking about guns than space, but both are razzle dazzle. any physics question can be made cooler by having the subject be some kind of weapon.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1324264858' post='2353482']
[/quote]

of course, and i did mention that in a later post, thanks

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1324265483' post='2353487']
I dont know.[/QUOTE]
Yes

[QUOTE]But I do [s]know [/s] believe that God knows.[/QUOTE]

Yes
[QUOTE]And He might even tell you, if you asked.
[/quote]

Want to make a bet? I bet you a million dollars that even if you start praying now you will never get an answer.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1324269890' post='2353522']

Want to make a bet? I bet you a million dollars that even if you start praying now you will never get an answer.
[/quote]a silly proposition. If big Jon prayed and the sky opened up and the voice of God spoke to him I hardly think you would believe the word of a complete stranger.

Query: if the skies opened up and you heard the voice of God would you become a believer or would you attribute it to a hallucination?

Laudate_Dominum

In case life on other planets and multiverse hypotheses aren't enough to hijack this thread I'd like to add abiogenesis.

Some of why I find abiogenesis to be quite possible in principle, and perhaps common in the universe:

1. Fundamentals of chemistry/biochem, cellular biology, evolutionary bio, etc.
2. Understanding of complex systems and related.
3. Personal experimentation with cellular automata, neural networks, etc. (E.g., Polyworld, 3DVCE, Conway's Game of Life, Golly, home-grown projects).
4. Compelling literature specifically on the subject.

To me positing a miraculous creation of life seems unnecessary. (By 'miraculous creation' I mean supernatural intervention that cannot be accounted for in terms of knowable laws of nature.) "The universe unfolds as it should." As Spock said. I see biology (and its hypothetical analogs) as being written into the atemporal foundations of the cosmos, in a certain sense. Reality is no less amesome and mysterious as a result. Just throwing this out there.

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

pax domine,
For me 100% God exists and is very real to me but the levels aren't always at 100%"Lord i believe but help me with the times i lack belief.", it took the reality of the possibility of the existance of a real God that caused me to begin my journey of seeking to know what he knows. It began with reading the new testament and proverbs and psalms. I say i believe 100% but am still open to growth in the knowledge of the will of God for my life, the LORD to me is an unfathonable mystery in his completeness that is, i assume i will continue to grow in heaven too (if i get there with the help of his grace) but a very different growth to on earth. This is a personal digression and i dare say will not be found in the chatechism under the chapter of heaven, But still i do love the chatechism mostly :hehe2: p.s. please don't tell pappa benedicto i said that ok,phatmass aninimety yes? what is said here stays here right unless a heresy, please if it is heresy to say i love the chatechism mostly let me know before i crash and burn.

God bless you all.
God is good,God is love,God saves.
Onward christian souls.
JC "there are many rooms in my fathers house."

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[u]haha i almost dug myself a grave there i feel, all i mean iz that i love the holy word,the holy rosary,prayer and the holy sacrements more, possibly is i'm a bit lazy on reading at the momment i started reading the chatechism but seemingly i was not ready or something coz havent picked it up since .[/u]

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1324272704' post='2353552']
[u]haha i almost dug myself a grave there i feel, all i mean iz that i love the holy word,the holy rosary,prayer and the holy sacrements more, possibly is i'm a bit lazy on reading at the momment i started reading the chatechism but seemingly i was not ready or something coz havent picked it up since .[/u]
[/quote]
I thought you were in rehab or something.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1324273225' post='2353554']
I thought you were in rehab or something.
[/quote]

The program didn't suit my motherboard, so am enrolled in two other programs,just waiting for a free bed, i will see if there program computes. I will not give up giving up.

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1324272704' post='2353552']
[/quote]

Go to rehab