An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Percent Out Of A 100 Are You Convinced That The God Of The Bible

I'm not comfortable putting a percentage on it.

The way I view all of this...doesn't really depend upon what I think. God knows who He is and what He is about. Most of the time, I'm clueless. But I do trust that He's in charge and will do the right thing (even if I don't know what that is). That doesn't mean I've completely surrendered my life or actually trust Him to take care of me - my faith is much less perfect than that! Nor does it mean I am certain that I'm headed to heaven after I die. Rather, I know who the Judge is, and I trust his decision will be a good one (even if...not what I'm hoping for). And...I am content with this.

So...I know God is real, and He basically defines what it means to exist. I'm...well, I'm not part of the equation, so I can't put a percentage on it, but I know my faith is quite wishy-washy at times. Well, probably most of the time, actually.

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1324015947' post='2352082']
what are the logical doubts you have? and how do you explain how the universe even got here or anything without God?
[/quote]

most of my doubts are to do with what exactly God wants, and his nature, not so much that he exists. and you arent trying to convert me from athiesm, i am a christian. I believe that God had something to do with the start of creation, but it is silly to disregard how much of the mystical stuff of the universe and how it was created can be explained by physical laws and science.

[quote]
Have you ever, when you were really mad at your parents, thought to yourself that they didn't love you at all? even though you knew deep down the whole time that they really did love you? Its kind of like that. I don't understand how God operates, or how or why some things happen. But I know that God exists. So sometimes I doubt because I don't understand, but I always know its true regardless of my doubts. Does that make any sense?
[/quote]

it sort of makes sense, but i dont have to be "100%" to know something is true. i would assume 100% to mean no doubts, ever.

[quote]
what parts contradict each other? like can you give specific chapter/verses?
[/quote]

Discrepancy in the order of creation?

[b]Genesis 1:11-12 and 1:26-27[/b] Trees came [b][i]before[/i][/b] Adam.
[b]Genesis 2:4-9[/b] Trees came [b][i]after[/i][/b] Adam.

[b]Genesis 1:20-21 and 26-27[/b] Birds were created [b][i]before[/i][/b] Adam.
[b]Genesis 2:7 and 2:19[/b] Birds were created [b][i]after[/i][/b] Adam.

[b]Genesis 1:24-27[/b] Animals were created [b][i]before[/i][/b] Adam.
[b]Genesis 2:7 and 2:19[/b] Animals were created [b][i]after[/i][/b] Adam.

[b]Genesis 1:26-27[/b] Adam and Eve were created at the [b][i]same time[/i][/b].
[b]Genesis 2:7 and 2:21-22[/b] Adam was created first, woman sometime [b][i]later[/i][/b].

If i remember correctly, the Gospels had some variation in the stories of the Loaves and Fish.

there is the Noahs ark story. Leaving all the logistics of the whole thing aside(all the animals on one boat, feeding varied things like bamboo for the pandas and meat for lions, all living together) if waters covered the whole land, then either they were salt water, and all the fresh water fish died, or they were fresh water, and all the ocean fish died. that is kind of interesting.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]SAMUEL 1 31:4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]SAMUEL 2 1:15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died.[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2 KINGS 2:11)[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][/left]
"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... the Son of Man." (JOHN 3:13)

II SAMUEL 6:23 "Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death."
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]But...[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]II SAMUEL 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul."[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]that sort of thing. there are a bunch more here [url="http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/ash-biblecontradictions.shtml"]http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/ash-biblecontradictions.shtml[/url][/left][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font][/color][/left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][left]while i wouldnt say that they disprove the existence of God, it does show the Bible to be inherently flawed to a certain extent, whether or not that is the fault of the humans writing it.[/left][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1324015947' post='2352082']
what are the logical doubts you have? and how do you explain how the universe even got here or anything without God?
[/quote]

most of my doubts are to do with what exactly God wants, and his nature, not so much that he exists. and you arent trying to convert me from athiesm, i am a christian. I believe that God had something to do with the start of creation, but it is silly to disregard how much of the mystical stuff of the universe and how it was created can be explained by physical laws and science.

[quote]
Have you ever, when you were really mad at your parents, thought to yourself that they didn't love you at all? even though you knew deep down the whole time that they really did love you? Its kind of like that. I don't understand how God operates, or how or why some things happen. But I know that God exists. So sometimes I doubt because I don't understand, but I always know its true regardless of my doubts. Does that make any sense?
[/quote]

it sort of makes sense, but i dont have to be "100%" to know something is true. i would assume 100% to mean no doubts, ever.

[quote]
what parts contradict each other? like can you give specific chapter/verses?
[/quote]

[b]Genesis 1:26-27[/b] Adam and Eve were created at the [b][i]same time[/i][/b].
[b]Genesis 2:7 and 2:21-22[/b] Adam was created first, woman sometime [b][i]later[/i][/b].

If i remember correctly, the Gospels had some variation in the stories of the Loaves and Fish.

there is the Noahs ark story. Leaving all the logistics of the whole thing aside(all the animals on one boat, feeding varied things like bamboo for the pandas and meat for lions, all living together) if waters covered the whole land, then either they were salt water, and all the fresh water fish died, or they were fresh water, and all the ocean fish died. that is kind of interesting.

[left]SAMUEL 1 31:4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.[/left]
SAMUEL 2 1:15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died.

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2 KINGS 2:11)[/size][/font][/color][/left]
"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... the Son of Man." (JOHN 3:13)

II SAMUEL 6:23 "Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death."
But...
II SAMUEL 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul."

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]that sort of thing. there are a bunch more here [url="http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/ash-biblecontradictions.shtml"]http://www.bigissueg...adictions.shtml[/url][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]while i wouldnt say that they disprove the existence of God, it does show the Bible to be inherently flawed to a certain extent, whether or not that is the fault of the humans writing it.[/size][/font][/color][/left]

Edited by Jesus_lol

dang, i double posted. if one of the mods wouldnt mind deleting that first one where i didnt get to fix the formatting? maybe putting a picture of a razzle dazzle dinosaur or motorcycle in its place? :P

Edited by Jesus_lol

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324030213' post='2352124']
dang, i double posted. if one of the mods wouldnt mind deleting that first one where i didnt get to fix the formatting? maybe putting a picture of a razzle dazzle dinosaur or motorcycle in its place? :P
[/quote]
How about a 'dopey post yo'?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1323972834' post='2351719']
My momentary doubts are quickly comforted. To me the evidence, primarily in nature, but also scripture is so overwhelming that I cannot doubt for long. [b] Nature boggles my mind when I look at the complexity of it. How anyone could believe it happened by accident or random acts, or was not guided is ludicrous to me. 100%.[/b]
[/quote]
That's what I was getting at when I was accused of basing faith on Cartesianism!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324020877' post='2352107']

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]while i wouldnt say that they disprove the existence of God, it does show the Bible to be inherently flawed to a certain extent, whether or not that is the fault of the humans writing it.[/size][/font][/color][/left]

[/quote]
You will notice though that the flaws were written by men. The part that was quoting Jesus is profoundly logical captain!
The story of Noah is so obviously not literal that it has to be intended that way or someone was vewwy Pzzzd when they wrote it.

[/quote]
I just checked this for interest and I think you read it wrong!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

i<3franciscans

[left]SAMUEL 1 31:4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.[/left]

SAMUEL 2 1:15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died.

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2 KINGS 2:11)[/size][/font][/color][/left]

But...
II SAMUEL 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul."

[left][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]that sort of thing. there are a bunch more here [url="http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/ash-biblecontradictions.shtml"]http://www.bigissueg...adictions.shtml[/url][/size][/font][/color][/left]

[/quote]
My only comment is [i]God[/i] is [i]GOD[/i] and he can do whatever the heck He wants. I am not supposed to sit down here and ask "why?" I am supposed to trust Him say "I believe You." I am not trying to convert you or yell at you. :) Everyone has different opinions and this is mine.

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by i<3franciscans

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1324032461' post='2352134']
How about a 'dopey post yo'?
[/quote]

is there anything wrong with my reply? 1<3franciscans asked me a question and i responded as best i could at the time. she asked if there were any contradictions or inconsistencies in the bible, and honestly the full list is a mile long, though most are kinda splitting hairs. Im guessing the men who wrote it needed an editor and fact checker.

I also was not trying to debunk christianity, i dont know why i would do that. It said none of the ones i posted deny the existence of God, merely show that the Bible is not a 100% perfect book, far from it, though i believe it to hold a lot of truth. Simply, if the Bible was perfect as is, there would be no need for the Catholic Church to have its own Catechism

There is a lot of brutality and cruel practices in the old testament that most christians and the catholic church no longer hold to (unless this whole time the Church has been ok with slavery, and killing nonvirgin women who get married, and i simply hadnt heard about it). Hence me being a pedant about people saying they believe in the Bible 100%. Aside from certain moral questions from the older writings, it is pretty hard to agree 100% with a book that doesnt even agree with itself all the time.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1324032908' post='2352139']
You will notice though that the flaws were written by men. The part that was quoting Jesus is profoundly logical captain!
The story of Noah is so obviously not literal that it has to be intended that way or someone was vewwy Pzzzd when they wrote it.
[/quote]

thats fine, i mentioned that the flaws were written by men. that is why i did not say that God was flawed, but rather that a book which has human flaws, has flaws.

There are many parts of the Bible i would assume are not meant to be literal.

[quote]
I just checked this for interest and I think you read it wrong!
[/quote]

how is that?

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1324043396' post='2352202']
My only comment is [i]God[/i] is [i]GOD[/i] and he can do whatever the heck He wants. I am not supposed to sit down here and ask "why?" I am supposed to trust Him say "I believe You." I am not trying to convert you or yell at you. :) Everyone has different opinions and this is mine.

edited because I can't spell.
[/quote]

that is ok, and thanks! I hope i didnt come across as too huge a jerk, but when people ask why i disagree with them, and i answer as well as i can, sometimes they just get mad at me for some reason.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324064759' post='2352348']

is there anything wrong with my reply? 1<3franciscans asked me a question and i responded as best i could at the time. she asked if there were any contradictions or inconsistencies in the bible, and honestly the full list is a mile long, though most are kinda splitting hairs. Im guessing the men who wrote it needed an editor and fact checker.

[/quote]
Woops I forgot to put a lol there. Sorry Jlol it was one of my jokes that no one understands. We're still friends I hope? :hehe2:

Genesis 2:4-9 And every [b]plant of the field before it sprung up in the earth,[/b] [b]and every herb of the ground before it grew[/b]: for the Lord God had not rained upon the earth; [b]and there was not a man to till the earth.[/b]

Unless I am missing something that you have seen the trees came first. Of course vegetation evolved first to oxygenate the atmosphere, the animals evolved later.
Back in the days of negative points I got a heap for stating that much of the Bible is incoherent non sense. I was referring to the things you point out. As is the Bible is just a collection of old texts written by men. It becomes the word of God because God speaks to us at times through it. Of course the New Testament quoting Jesus is very much the word of God and that is why it oft debunks the older scripts. For example. [i]You have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. [[url="http://drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=5&l=38#x"]Matthew 5:38[/url]] [[url="http://drbo.org/x/d?b=lvb&bk=47&ch=5&l=38#x"]Latin[/url]] [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=5&l=39#x"][39][/url] But I say to you [u]not to resist evil[/u]: but if one strike thee on thy right cheek, turn to him also the other: [/i]
[i]You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thy enemy. [url="http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=5&l=44#x"][44][/url] But I say to you, Love your enemies: do good to them that hate you: and pray for them that persecute and calumniate you[/i]
Here Jesus is clearly telling us that the earlier script authors got it wrong.

@ Jesus lol....regarding your last post...I asked the question what percent do you believe the God of the Bible is real....Since there is also a muslim god, a new age spirituality god, a mormon god, ect ect...I wasn't really asking the question how much do you agree with the Bible.....I agree there is stuff in it that contradicts....but that's because humans are flawed....I think you can accept the Bible has some flaws and still have a 100 percent belief the christian God is real and does exist...

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1324073057' post='2352412']
@ Jesus lol....regarding your last post...I asked the question what percent do you believe the God of the Bible is real....Since there is also a muslim god, a new age spirituality god, a mormon god, ect ect...I wasn't really asking the question how much do you agree with the Bible.....I agree there is stuff in it that contradicts....but that's because humans are flawed....I think you can accept the Bible has some flaws and still have a 100 percent belief the christian God is real and does exist...
[/quote]

sorry Delivery i was responding to someone else.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1324077895' post='2352423']

sorry Delivery i was responding to someone else.
[/quote] haha ya I know I was just saying...I agree with what your post said...peace...

Edited by Guest

That's not quite what Jesus was doing, though. He was more...raising the bar. He was showing what the rules were (from the Old Testament), and then showing a more perfect way where you would make the choice God would make in the situation if your heart was formed correctly.

But carry on...