An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Percent Out Of A 100 Are You Convinced That The God Of The Bible

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1323834478' post='2350940']
I think therefore I am and I can only think because God made it so. It's the only thing that is 100%. Sense without God, there is non! 100%
[/quote]

I am not sure that Cartesionism is the foundation on which you want to base your faith...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1323847710' post='2351103']
Amen Missy.
[/quote]

I am glad to know that you love me too. Haha.

98.5%. I accept the truths with great confidence as provided unto me by Scripture and Tradition, while still accepting the possibility, however faint, that I might be wrong. However, I have indeed made the choice to proceed through life on the assumption they're indeed true.

dairygirl4u2c

90 percent
that percent is only due to the reservation that the way we conceive of God isn't fair enough to say it's 'God'
if given the assumption that God is "something" higher, and all that jazz, i'd say it's
99.99999%
essentially conceding that there's an extrememly remote possibility that i'm empirically wrong about God, and then even if only theoretically philosophically wrong too, that's also a possibility

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1323848760' post='2351104']

I am not sure that Cartesionism is the foundation on which you want to base your faith...
[/quote]
I think you mean to say Cartesianism.

And I am 100, but i struggle to live my life as to really be 100.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1323844621' post='2351088']

I don't know for sure that I'm right simply because I haven't died yet. If we could be 100% sure, then it wouldn't be faith.

[/quote]

What an elegant response!

I'll start off with the fact that I can relate to most everything already written. And I'll second that by stating that I am in no way a Church scholar; and to qualify my level of knowledge, I'll admit that "Rediscover Catholicism" is the first Catholic book that I've read in 20 years. (A good place to start, btw).

And to answer the question, I have 100% faith in Our Lord existence. Do I make adjustments for the fact that human understanding of Our Lord could be flawed, even as it is taught/written in the Bible? Yes, I do. But in my understanding, there is so much to Our Lord that the Bible is going to fall short in its depiction of Him; regardless of how accurate the translations/interpretations of the Divinely inspired authors.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1323843903' post='2351077']
Only reason I'm 100 is because of some crazy stuff that happened. I didn't meet no angels but it was for sure pretty crazy.
[/quote]
Me too!

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1323848760' post='2351104']

[/quote]
Surely there must be a foundation in which faith is based, or else we will believe whatever seems razzle dazzle. (Fairies, unicorns witches.) I have certain experiences and feelings in life. For example the profound wisdom in the teachings of Christ which eclipse all other. The faith part is where I accept who he says he is and what he promises.

Sometimes I have doubts and wonder if God really exists, and I constantly pray for an increase in faith. I don't know the percentage, but I know my goal is 100%

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1323899176' post='2351342']
Sometimes I have doubts and wonder if God really exists, and I constantly pray for an increase in faith. I don't know the percentage, [b]but I know my goal is 100%[/b]
[/quote]
Good point! Faith has to have some margin for error or else there would only be one religion and it would be unified. Your goal will only be achieved when you meet Jesus.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1323871148' post='2351139']
I think you mean to say Cartesianism.

And I am 100, but i struggle to live my life as to really be 100.
[/quote]
And I thought You didn't look a day over 30!
Is there any particular objection in Catholicism to Cartesianism? I can't see how they could separate the mind/soul/God though, these would have to be on the same 'area' of existence.
[quote]Cartesians view the mind as being wholly separate from the corporeal body. Sensation and the perception of reality are thought to be the source of untruth and illusions, with the only reliable truths to be had in the existence of a metaphysical mind. Such a mind can perhaps interact with a physical body, but it does not exist in the body, nor even in the same physical plane as the body. In general the Cartesian divides the world into three areas of existence: that inhabited by the physical body (matter), that inhabited by the mind, and that inhabited by God.[/quote]