An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Philter

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

hey dust , if we fiddler nice black man can we also please philter red neck, or is it only one word things.

God bless you all

P.s. i'm not overly seriouse about this, just wan't to see the reaction.

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1323586152' post='2349025']
if we fiddler nice black man can we also please philter red neck
[/quote]

TD - Several years ago, I stopped using the term "poor white trash" based on an observation from a co-worker. The observation was that if folks are willing to use the term PWT, they should then also be willing to use the N Bomb. His argument is that they are essentially synonymous. It stopped me dead in me tracks, cause I had never thought of it that way, and there is something to this thinking.

So, I haven't used the term since and I never used the N Bomb; now my co-worker on the other hand, uses both terms...and he isn't a Hip Hopper.

N*gger has more harmful connotations than redneck, because of the history of slavery and segregation, and how that word was used then. To me it's definitely the more offensive of the two.

That said, I don't think it's good to speak disparagingly of anybody. I would never describe people as redneck or 'white trash'. It's still insulting, even if it doesn't have the same poisonous history as n*gger.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1323615167' post='2349078']
N*gger has more harmful connotations than redneck, because of the history of slavery and segregation, and how that word was used then. To me it's definitely the more offensive of the two.

That said, I don't think it's good to speak disparagingly of anybody. I would never describe people as redneck or 'white trash'. It's still insulting, even if it doesn't have the same poisonous history as n*gger.
[/quote]
I agree, but I think "white trash" is really offensive as well, and it hasn't been done away with to the extent that "n*gger" has, at least, not in the south. "White trash" is still a household term in the south that most people don't even realize is derogatory. The interesting thing is that it seems to be whites who call other whites "white trash" now, and blacks who call other blacks "n*gger," more often than the opposite races do so. Except I will not mention cousins I have who use "n*gger" like nobody's business :(

And btw, the philter doesn't do anything about white trash. It does philter n*gger, though.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1323586152' post='2349025']
hey dust , if we fiddler nice black man can we also please philter red neck, or is it only one word things.

God bless you all

P.s. i'm not overly seriouse about this, just wan't to see the reaction.
[/quote]

That is the most coherent post you've ever written.

I don't particularly see how using a fiddler is going to solve any problems, since ultimately anyone can discover what words get filtered into. Sometimes the fiddler is funny, but most of the time it actually aggravates me because, despite a legitimate desire to keep cussing down, it actually just promotes the usage and immediate recognition of alternate curse-slang. Better to report cursing and issue warnings than fiddler.

And don't get me started on amesome.

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1323633272' post='2349184']
I don't particularly see how using a fiddler is going to solve any problems, since ultimately anyone can discover what words get filtered into. Sometimes the fiddler is funny, but most of the time it actually aggravates me because, despite a legitimate desire to keep cussing down, it actually just promotes the usage and immediate recognition of alternate curse-slang. Better to report cursing and issue warnings than fiddler.

And don't get me started on amesome.
[/quote]
i like coppery posser :|

Any calling of names to hurt is wrong regardless the word(s). I don't think it can be judge which is more hurtful to who. We all are different. No need for a philter b/c if anyone here would use such language with seriousness, the PM community would beat him/her into submission. :boink:

southern california guy

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1323616889' post='2349087']
I agree, but I think "white trash" is really offensive as well, and it hasn't been done away with to the extent that "n*gger" has, at least, not in the south. "White trash" is still a household term in the south that most people don't even realize is derogatory. The interesting thing is that it seems to be whites who call other whites "white trash" now, and blacks who call other blacks "n*gger," more often than the opposite races do so. Except I will not mention cousins I have who use "n*gger" like nobody's business :(

And btw, the philter doesn't do anything about white trash. It does philter n*gger, though.
[/quote]

I don't know.. I used the term "white trash" sometimes. It's not really a fighting word the way n*gger can be.. I even have a few friends that I would call white trash -- just not to their face!