An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Else Like Existentialism?

Kia ora

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1323355617' post='2347295']
Not a fan.
[/quote]
How DARE someone on the internet disagree with ME! I will not rest until you recant and affirm MY opinion. Raarr!!

jk. understandable.

No wonder. I half suspect the only self-proclaimed existentialists are young, disaffected university students. :P

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1323355932' post='2347297']
How DARE someone on the internet disagree with ME! I will not rest until you recant and affirm MY opinion. Raarr!!

jk. understandable.
[/quote]
Of course, I was speaking subjectively. I don't see how anyone can objectively disagree with you b/c your mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

I don't mind Kierkegaard, but most existentialism tends to depress me or something. Nietszche was a pompous jerk, although I don't regret studying him because I can now see his influence in a lot of contemporary strains of thought. His ubermensch theory was interesting.
I've got a kind of big initial interest in phenomenology, although I don't know if that would hold if I studied it in greater depth.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1323370941' post='2347460']
Sarte stinks.

that's all.
[/quote]
Sartre x de Beauvoir 4eva.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1323362302' post='2347354']
I don't mind Kierkegaard, but most existentialism tends to depress me or something. Nietszche was a pompous jerk, although I don't regret studying him because I can now see his influence in a lot of contemporary strains of thought. His ubermensch theory was interesting.
I've got a kind of big initial interest in phenomenology, although I don't know if that would hold if I studied it in greater depth.
[/quote]It's totally interesting you say that. I think it's the opposite way. The [i]idea[/i] of existentialism really inspires me, although I grant that the existentialist authors do get heavy sometimes, and at times I think they play up the grimdarkness of the whole thing. Camus and Sartre for example. But the fact that they don't shy away from death and all those other dark themes is good. Life isn't pleasant and sunshine and roses.

Even in their darkest themed works, like The Plague, I see hope. Sartre is big on responsibility, to the extent that he says even emotions are purposeful strategems employed by us, and that we are accuountable for them. He says that we own every bit of our life. All our failures and faults lie at our feet and no one else. I know that brings me to despair and regret sometimes. But the idea that I am the captain of my own ship has also been my first, joyful thought of more than a few days, what gets me out of bed with a smile on my face.

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1324215706' post='2353279']
It's totally interesting you say that. I think it's the opposite way. The [i]idea[/i] of existentialism really inspires me, although I grant that the existentialist authors do get heavy sometimes, and at times I think they play up the grimdarkness of the whole thing. Camus and Sartre for example. But the fact that they don't shy away from death and all those other dark themes is good. Life isn't pleasant and sunshine and roses.

Even in their darkest themed works, like The Plague, I see hope. Sartre is big on responsibility, to the extent that he says even emotions are purposeful strategems employed by us, and that we are accuountable for them. He says that we own every bit of our life. All our failures and faults lie at our feet and no one else. I know that brings me to despair and regret sometimes. But the idea that I am the captain of my own ship has also been my first, joyful thought of more than a few days, what gets me out of bed with a smile on my face.
[/quote]

I wrote about Nietzsche last year, particularly about the ubermensch. The thing that struck me the most, and what I wrote about, is how profoundly and radically alone the ubsermensch is. The impression I got from reading him is that, for the overman, there might as well be nobody else in the entire world, because nothing else is even relevant. I said it better last year, but that was the main point of what I was saying.
Anyway, I found that part to be very depressing. A lonely existence, to be an overman.

ThePenciledOne

I'm heavily influenced by this school of thought, I love them! Philosophy is one of my majors at FUS, and I'm planning on going doctoral with it, hoping to teach Continental, with these guys of course included. What they have to say is vital, since personalism was outgrown of this movement as well. And most of the religious existentialists Kierkegaard and Buber are two of the most brilliant men. Though don't get me wrong, I love Nietzsche a ton as well. And since its an off shoot of phenomenology, I love the fact that Scheler has his stamp on it in a sense as well.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1324226151' post='2353313']
I wrote about Nietzsche last year, particularly about the ubermensch. The thing that struck me the most, and what I wrote about, is how profoundly and radically alone the ubsermensch is. The impression I got from reading him is that, for the overman, there might as well be nobody else in the entire world, because nothing else is even relevant. I said it better last year, but that was the main point of what I was saying.
Anyway, I found that part to be very depressing. A lonely existence, to be an overman.
[/quote]

I did a paper on his and Kierkegaard's version of the individual, focusing on their ultimate ends. Summed up: Nietzsche's Overman is a constant moving, becoming individual that becomes frustrated with existence, since there is no 'true' end. Kierkegaard's believer I found, was an individual that strove against the established order in order to have a closer relationship with God and the Divine. I loved writing the paper, and I think it's one of my best. : )

But you are right the Overman concept of his is unique to a degree, but you can find it all over movies and other media.

[quote name='Kia ora' timestamp='1324215706' post='2353279']
It's totally interesting you say that. I think it's the opposite way. The [i]idea[/i] of existentialism really inspires me, although I grant that the existentialist authors do get heavy sometimes, and at times I think they play up the grimdarkness of the whole thing. Camus and Sartre for example. But the fact that they don't shy away from death and all those other dark themes is good. Life isn't pleasant and sunshine and roses.

[/quote]

I love Camus, haven't read enough Sartre to really understand him yet, but I will. You have an excellent point on the looking at the 'underside' in a sense of life. I stand in more or less the same camp and have always held only myself accountable for many things. Though the big flaw with the existentialists is the overwhelming 'I' that can exist and therefore it becomes hard to submit, at least in the Christian sense to God. But anyways that's my little bit to say.

Glad to see I have a comrade here! : )