A Memo From Obama

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

[quote]

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
December 06, 2011

[b] Presidential Memorandum -- International Initiatives to Advance the Human Rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Persons[/b]

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

SUBJECT: International Initiatives to Advance the Human Rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Persons

The struggle to end discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons is a global challenge, and one that is central to the United States commitment to promoting human rights. I am deeply concerned by the violence and discrimination targeting LGBT persons around the world whether it is passing laws that criminalize LGBT status, beating citizens simply for joining peaceful LGBT pride celebrations, or killing men, women, and children for their perceived sexual orientation. That is why I declared before heads of state gathered at the United Nations, "no country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere." Under my Administration, agencies engaged abroad have already begun taking action to promote the fundamental human rights of LGBT persons everywhere. Our deep commitment to advancing the human rights of all people is strengthened when we as the United States bring our tools to bear to vigorously advance this goal.

By this memorandum I am directing all agencies engaged abroad to ensure that U.S. diplomacy and foreign assistance promote and protect the human rights of LGBT persons. Specifically, I direct the following actions, consistent with applicable law:

[u]Section 1[/u]. [u]Combating Criminalization of LGBT Status or Conduct Abroad[/u]. Agencies engaged abroad are directed to strengthen existing efforts to effectively combat the criminalization by foreign governments of LGBT status or conduct and to expand efforts to combat discrimination, homophobia, and intolerance on the basis of LGBT status or conduct.

[u]Sec. 2[/u]. [u]Protecting Vulnerable LGBT Refugees and Asylum Seekers[/u]. Those LGBT persons who seek refuge from violence and persecution face daunting challenges. In order to improve protection for LGBT refugees and asylum seekers at all stages of displacement, the Departments of State and Homeland Security shall enhance their ongoing efforts to ensure that LGBT refugees and asylum seekers have equal access to protection and assistance, particularly in countries of first asylum. In addition, the Departments of State, Justice, and Homeland Security shall ensure appropriate training is in place so that relevant Federal Government personnel and key partners can effectively address the protection of LGBT refugees and asylum seekers, including by providing to them adequate assistance and ensuring that the Federal Government has the ability to identify and expedite resettlement of highly vulnerable persons with urgent protection needs.

[u]Sec. 3[/u]. [u]Foreign Assistance to Protect Human Rights and Advance Nondiscrimination[/u]. Agencies involved with foreign aid, assistance, and development shall enhance their ongoing efforts to ensure regular Federal Government engagement with governments, citizens, civil society, and the private sector in order to build respect for the human rights of LGBT persons.

[u]Sec. 4[/u]. [u]Swift and Meaningful U.S. Responses to Human Rights Abuses of LGBT Persons Abroad[/u]. The Department of State shall lead a standing group, with appropriate interagency representation, to help ensure the Federal Government's swift and meaningful response to serious incidents that threaten the human rights of LGBT persons abroad.

[u]Sec. 5[/u]. [u]Engaging International Organizations in the Fight Against LGBT Discrimination[/u]. Multilateral fora and international organizations are key vehicles to promote respect for the human rights of LGBT persons and to bring global attention to LGBT issues. Building on the State Department's leadership in this area, agencies engaged abroad should strengthen the work they have begun and initiate additional efforts in these multilateral fora and organizations to: counter discrimination on the basis of LGBT status; broaden the number of countries willing to support and defend LGBT issues in the multilateral arena; strengthen the role of civil society advocates on behalf of LGBT issues within and through multilateral fora; and strengthen the policies and programming of multilateral institutions on LGBT issues.

[u]Sec. 6[/u]. [u]Reporting on Progress[/u]. All agencies engaged abroad shall prepare a report within 180 days of the date of this memorandum, and annually thereafter, on their progress toward advancing these initiatives. All such agencies shall submit their reports to the Department of State, which will compile a report on the Federal Government's progress in advancing these initiatives for transmittal to the President.

[u]Sec. 7[/u]. [u]Definitions[/u]. (a) For the purposes of this memorandum, agencies engaged abroad include the Departments of State, the Treasury, Defense, Justice, Agriculture, Commerce, Health and Human Services, and Homeland Security, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Export Import Bank, the United States Trade Representative, and such other agencies as the President may designate.

(b) For the purposes of this memorandum, agencies involved with foreign aid, assistance, and development include the Departments of State, the Treasury, Defense, Justice, Health and Human Services, and Homeland Security, the USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Export Import Bank, the United States Trade Representative, and such other agencies as the President may designate.
This memorandum is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
The Secretary of State is hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

BARACK OBAMA[/quote]

I guess this means more pressure against Catholic Poland, which outlaws homosexual activity... not to mention the Church...

Basilisa Marie

I'm not saying I support everything in this memo, but last time I checked, violent persecution of anyone was a sin according to the Catholic Church.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1323194395' post='2345570']
I'm not saying I support everything in this memo, but last time I checked, violent persecution of anyone was a sin according to the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

I'm not saying i want every homosexual brutally murdered or violently persecuted... but there is more to this than that... this is our government forcing an immoral agenda in countries, such as Poland, who remain steadfast in their opposition to accepting homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle...

...besides, this pro-abortion administration has no clue what "human rights" are...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323195429' post='2345585']

I'm not saying i want every homosexual brutally murdered or violently persecuted... but there is more to this than that... this is our government forcing an immoral agenda in countries, such as Poland, who remain steadfast in their opposition to accepting homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle...

...besides, this pro-abortion administration has no clue what "human rights" are...
[/quote]

Someday I hope you have to live in a country where any sexual activity that does not involve contraception is outlawed and partnerships between Catholics are deemed legal. Maybe when you have to worry about going to jail, or your friends going to jail, or your grown children going to jail for being sexually intimate with whoever they love, or your children being beaten, or your children being mocked and excluded until they feel like the only way to end the pain is to end their lives, then maybe you'll think twice before wishing this fate on individuals who have done no harm whatsoever to you. How dare you. You should be ashamed of yourself and your sick compulsion to deny basic rights to and stigmatize individuals who have done no harm to you and whose lives you know nothing about.

Edited by Hasan

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1323196271' post='2345600']

Someday I hope you have to live in a country where any sexual activity that does not involve contraception is outlawed and partnerships between Catholics are deemed legal. Maybe when you have to worry about going to jail, or your friends going to jail, or your grown children going to jail for being sexually intimate with whoever they love, or your children being beaten, or your children being mocked and excluded until they feel like the only way to end the pain is to end their lives, then maybe you'll think twice before wishing this fate on individuals who have done no harm whatsoever to you. How dare you. You should be ashamed of yourself and your sick compulsion to deny basic rights to and stigmatize individuals who have done no harm to you and whose lives you know nothing about.
[/quote]

I think there are already countries like that, and if we continue electing those who have no clue what morality is, we're heading in that direction...

also, hasan, chill out dude, take a few breaths and re-read my first sentence...

don't get so emotional... isn't that what you always complain about, that people judge things too quickly on their emotions?

(besides, everything you described...how do you know I've never experienced all that? I grew up in white supremacist texas... i witnessed many things and endured pure hatred...

...not to mention I'm Catholic, so, I know what it feels like for the entire world to hate you....)

I tend to believe this administration could care less for anyone unless it meant a vote for them... why am I so cynical about them? well, the fact that it continues to give power and momentum to a violent and deadly agenda against the unborn, for one thing... another is, that obama desperately needs something to boosts his ratings... I believe this is not so much a memo to stop violence against homosexuals than it is to pander the radical homosexual vote...

again, i reiterate, this administration has no clue what "human rights" are....

and your posts is wrong about everythign about me... i do not have any sick compulsions to deny the rights of anyone... you are so a drama queen :rolleyes:

Nola Seminarian

[/quote]

i feel the love dripping from your every key-stroke.

[/quote]

[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2yzafk0.jpg[/img]

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1323195429' post='2345585']

[/quote]

razzle dazzle. I probably more wanted to make sure that the 100 or so lurkers that see this thread don't get the wrong idea. Carry on. :)

I did a search and gay marriage was not once mentioned there. in fact it is fairly well defined as standing in opposition to brutality and violence towards gay people. That is a thing the Catholic Church agrees with.

Poland, along with Uganda and similar countries, are simply wrong to be outlawing being gay.

Nola Seminarian

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1323206144' post='2345733']
Poland, along with Uganda and similar countries, are simply wrong to be outlawing being gay.
[/quote]

why would that be, because you say it is?

I did a search and gay marriage was not once mentioned there. in fact it is fairly well defined as standing in opposition to brutality and violence towards gay people. That is a thing the Catholic Church agrees with.

[/quote]

See that's where the mistake is - targeting the Catholic countries. Even though the Church recognizes no fundamental right to a homosexual relationship as it is immoral, it's the Islamic one's that they ought to be concerned with. President Admadinejad wasn't joking when he said "our country does not have homosexuals". He meant it when he said the penalty was death. That is unjust discrimination Catholics would agree are wrong. As long as we are busy attacking Catholics though, we can bury our head in the sand and ignore the spread of Islamic law and communist rule.

dominicansoul

[/quote]

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, Poland has no laws against the homosexual person, they have plenty of anti-discimination laws (and homosexuals would fall under that protection)

Its just that they do not usually have to deal with the homosexual agenda as much as other countries have, and they have been under pressure more and more to change their [i]beliefs[/i] and [i]attitudes[/i] against the homosexual lifestyle...

u.s. agents could verily see Polish beliefs as "homophobic" and Poland would be one of the countries punished for this... (read sec. 4... what exactly are the swift actions our government would take? who is to judge what is persecution? Is just preaching against homosexual sins considered an act of persecution?)

the majority of the Polish are devout Catholics, and Catholicism is deeply embedded in their way of life, their politics, etc. I can see where they will be targeted by this administration and be coerced to sacrifice their Catholicism in order to fit this regime's political correct and homosexual agenda..... they will definitely be one of the country's nixed for any assistance from our country....

Edited by dominicansoul

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1323206905' post='2345742']

See that's where the mistake is - targeting the Catholic countries. Even though the Church recognizes no fundamental right to a homosexual relationship as it is immoral, it's the Islamic one's that they ought to be concerned with. President Admadinejad wasn't joking when he said "our country does not have homosexuals". He meant it when he said the penalty was death. That is unjust discrimination Catholics would agree are wrong. As long as we are busy attacking Catholics though, we can bury our head in the sand and ignore the spread of Islamic law and communist rule.
[/quote]
I wish I could give this props twice. :(