An Old School Catholic Message Board

Atheism And Humanism

arfink

I thought of something strange today, and figured this would be a decent place to ask. Is there actually an appreciable difference between an atheist and a humanist? I have heard people argue this both ways, and wanted to hear some people talk about it.

My initial, relatively uneducated guess is that an atheist and a humanist would be different primarily because an atheist wouldn't be able to see intrinsic value in humanity while humanist would. But that the same time I have heard alot of atheists claim to be humanists too. What's up?

It is possible to be a humanist + theist OR humanist + atheist.

The early humanists were largely Catholics - Thomas More, Erasmus, and many others.

Humanism does not necessarily deny the existence of God.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism[/url]
[quote]
In other words it is an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters.
[/quote]
Atheists have no belief in divine or supernatural matters, it may be difficult for a theist to prioritise human matters over divine matters.
I would think that if one looks to enforce anti gay marriage law then one would prioritise divine matters over human matters.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]St. Paul teaches us that: Faith without deeds is a dead faith. Therefore we must have actions to show our faith. The same way is true, actions without faith in God are dead. We burn out. It all goes back to our purpose in life. Our purpose is to serve God! We are not here just to live. We are here to live fully. If we read the Gospels our purpose in life is to live wholly and we do that when we love God, ourselves and neighbors. The three are connected.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Doing stuff for the good of humanity is not bad, but is an empty purpose. The human person achieves its dignity only under the light of He who created. The Catholic Church has believed through out the centuries that we serve the person because that person has a value, since we are all created in the image and likeness of God. We serve not by chance, or choice but because is our duty with our God, creator, we serve the God within us. That's why we say that we are mearly living out our baptismal promises...[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]That said, even if a person rejects all faiths/religions, he may not be rejecting Jesus specifically. If he does good, and lives an honest life, then the Holy Spirit must be present somewhere. Since God wishes all to be saved, I would be hesitant about saying that such a person does not make it to salvation. Even his humanistic moral life is the result of God’s grace in creation and redemption. You might also want to check section 16 of the Dogmatic Decree on the Church of Vatican II.[/size][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
desrtflower23

I think this might be going a little far with the question, but what the hec! Humanism is based on human values and concerns. Our outlook on life decides our values and concerns. The value of Human life is seen differently by Theists and Atheists. Christians would see abortion as bad for humanity, because they believe that human beings receive an eternal soul from God upon conception. Atheists do not believe that humans have souls, and so abortion is a simple matter of convenience. I would argue that a person can only be a true Humanist when they allow their worldview to be shaped by God revealed through the Catholic Church. You can only choose what is actually best for human life when you learn from the One who created humans. There's my two cents!

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='desrtflower23' timestamp='1325483453' post='2361566']
I think this might be going a little far with the question, but what the hec! Humanism is based on human values and concerns. Our outlook on life decides our values and concerns. The value of Human life is seen differently by Theists and Atheists. Christians would see abortion as bad for humanity, because they believe that human beings receive an eternal soul from God upon conception. Atheists do not believe that humans have souls, and so abortion is a simple matter of convenience. I would argue that a person can only be a true Humanist when they allow their worldview to be shaped by God revealed through the Catholic Church. You can only choose what is actually best for human life when you learn from the One who created humans. There's my two cents!
[/quote]

Athiests can still value human life. (not often but they do) That is if they adhere to a rational athetistic position. (but of course this is high generalzation which I hate making on the internet.)

I sorta half agree with you, but otherwise I don't agree haha.

Edited by ThePenciledOne

desrtflower23

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1325484008' post='2361570']
Athiests can still value human life. (not often but they do) That is if they adhere to a rational athetistic position. (but of course this is high generalzation which I hate making on the internet.)

I sorta half agree with you, but otherwise I don't agree haha.
[/quote]

My writing is a bit spastic sometimes, so please let me clear up the meaning of my earlier post. I do believe that Atheists value human life, but in an incomplete way. Many Atheists seem to believe in justice and doing what is best for the human race. My point was that while Atheists may try to uphold justice and promote happiness in this life, they can not truly accomplish those things without knowledge of what it means to be a human being. Without a Creator, we are just another animal, and whatever feels best and promotes survival must be seen as right. The question is not so much whether or not Atheists can value human life, but whether or not they can value it properly. You might still disagree, and I respect that. Peace

Edited by desrtflower23

• 4 weeks later...

This question reminds me of the near death experience account of a Ms. Rene Turner.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/judaism01.html

"
[quote]

I awoke from my coma slowly, over several days, half dreamed memories of familiar voices and glimpses of faces. The clearest moments were several occasions where I would awake from deep sleep to find a nurse with a syringe and refuse any drugs. I had no idea why! I had three lots of surgery to repair my face, skull, eye socket. I left the hospital with pain, double vision, anosmia, and damage to the eighth cranial nerve. It left me with nausea and a disturbed balance. I was for two years angry at G-d for sending me back in such torment with a task to do with no clues or instructions - only one thing: a clear message I have no idea how to pass on, which is:
[center]
[font="Arial"][color="#000080"]"It is time to live according to your beliefs, whatever they may be - to put your house in order - for the end times are upon us!"[/color][/font] [/center]

[/quote]

There are cases where atheists and humanists have come up with some of the most impressive ideas on how we should respond to others that I have ever read about!

For example it was atheists and skeptical Israelis who were most vehement in their support for Operation Moses and Operation Solomon, the rescue of the Falasha Jews of Ethiopia!