An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welfare & Birth Control

Lil Red

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

over at [url="http://chicksontheright.com/2011/12/01/somebody-needs-to-pay-for-all-of-my-children/"]this site[/url] in the comments section, many people are arguing that if you want to receive welfare/state benefits, you should have to be on birth control. I strongly feel that this is very much against Church teaching and against the dignity of the human person. What do you think?

Archaeology cat

I'm with you, Red. Yes, some abuse the system, but forced sterilization/birth control isn't the answer. Ideally, we wouldn't have to go through the state at all, but that's not the reality and some people need a little help at times.

There are a number of ways for the state to limit welfare - they could simply cap it, like they currently cap the tax deduction on children.

Basilisa Marie

It's absolutely against their human dignity - no one should ever be forced to go on birth control or get sterilized. I do believe that those who get state aid (heck even government loans for school) should have regular and mandatory drug testing. My friends that get government assistance (one is a single mom working on a degree and another is married with a daughter but is struggling to make ends meet, both using different programs) also agree. It'd be one way to get some of the leechers off the aid and get that aid to those who need it.

(Whoo 500 posts!)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1322780637' post='2343373']
I'm with you, Red. Yes, some abuse the system, but forced sterilization/birth control isn't the answer. Ideally, we wouldn't have to go through the state at all, but that's not the reality and some people need a little help at times.
[/quote]

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1322781561' post='2343382']
There are a number of ways for the state to limit welfare - they could simply cap it, like they currently cap the tax deduction on children.
[/quote]

If we want to increase personal responsibility and cut welfare costs, an even better policy would be to track down the fathers and force them to pay child support. I have also read that some welfare policies work against fathers who stay with their families to raise them (if I find the link, I will post it).

Edited by Norseman82

Besides, birth control wrecks your body and can lead to a myriad of health complications, which would just cost them [i]more [/i]money in the end.

And what if it "fails"? Then what do they propose? *shudder*

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1323025515' post='2344424']
Besides, birth control wrecks your body and can lead to a myriad of health complications, which would just cost them [i]more [/i]money in the end.

And what if it "fails"? Then what do they propose? *shudder*
[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that it has negative consequences on the environment. Waste treatment centers cannot remove the estrogen, so it gets back into the water supply. In fact, in the pilot episode of the BBC series "Torchwood", Captain Jack Harkness remarks about "contraceptives in the rain".

I enjoy listening to Janet Smith talk about this.

http://www.janetesmith.org/news.html

The first article now is relating birth control to prostate cancer.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1323098765' post='2344887']
So I accidentally clicked yes, but that is not at all what my vote was. Whoops :doh:
[/quote]
You can delete it.

If we would stop ignoring God's laws and dow what is right, i.e. allow for the consequences of promisuity, people would be driven back toward a moral life. ie. no abortion, no birth control, etc. Instead we only increase these problems in society along with STD's. In the 1960's the out of wedlock births for whites was less than 10%. Blacks 30%. Today whites are where blacks were back then and blacks are 60% and that does not even take in to account that 1/4 to 1/3 of all pregnacies end in abortion, many if most of which of which are out of wedlock pregnacies.. This can be DIRECTLY linked to birth control. When man says he has a plan God does not laugh.

LaPetiteSoeur

It is so wrong, wrong, wrong to put people on birth control or have them sterilized because they are on welfare. Many people in poverty are not there by their own decision, but because of circumstances beyond their control.

I'm in a program at a university that studies poverty, and my professor told us he has several students in another class of his that are totally fine with people being sterilized or put on birth control because they are poor. It frightens me to think about what these kids will do in their futures. I hope to God they aren't in charge of welfare in this state...or any other government program.