An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harry Potter?

mysisterisalittlesister

Rowling's writing and the story improves with each book i found. the first was very much a simple standalone childs book.

“Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”
― [url="http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3389.Stephen_King"][color=#666600]Stephen King[/color][/url]

i<3franciscans

A while back I heard the pope suggest that we should not read the books or see the movies. I was never interested in them so I didn't think much of it. Although I did see half of the first movie, but turned it off because it stunk!

LOTR any day.

InPersonaChriste

I am actually quite relieved to see so many of you not arguing against Harry Potter.

I have been a Harry Potter fan since the tender age of nine. I really enjoyed the books and the characters.

"I got the idea for Twilight from a dream" - Stephenie Meyer

"It does not do to dwell on dreams." Albus Dumbledore (Harry potter and the philosophers stone.)

:hehe2:

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1322659832' post='2342624']
A while back I heard the pope suggest that we should not read the books or see the movies. I was never interested in them so I didn't think much of it. Although I did see half of the first movie, but turned it off because it stunk!

LOTR any day.
[/quote]

Well, to be fair he said that before he was pope. :)

And the first movie does really stink as far as movies go. But that's also because the first book is directed at 11 year old kids. :)

I've never seen or read the HP books or movies. Honestly, I don't care too because I never found the plot interesting and mum didn't like how the author supposedly came out and said that in her mind one of the characters was gay? IDK if you heard about that and if it's true but that made me not want too read or watch HP.

Yeah, I always thought it was to focus the waning attention more than anything when suddenly Dumbledore was gay...but that's just me being cynical probably.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1322664936' post='2342688']
Yeah, I always thought it was to focus the waning attention more than anything when suddenly Dumbledore was gay...but that's just me being cynical probably.
[/quote]
nope. it is you being smart.

Basilisa Marie

JKR only said that Dumbledore was gay because everyone kept asking her about his past love life, and the directors wanted to have Dumbledore talk about an old girlfriend in the movies. Her whole explanation for why she always considered him gay actually fits really well with his character. When Dumbledore was a teenager, he "fell in love" with his friend Gellert Grindelwald. His feelings for Grindelwald blinded him to the reality of who Grindelwald really was - a huge racist that wanted to basically force muggles into slavery. His feelings for him also caused him to abandon his familial obligations, something Dumbledore would regret for the rest of his life. Once Dumbledore realized this, he broke off his relationship and later beat Grindelwald in what later was known as the greatest dual of the century - basically an allegory to the defeat of Hitler (even the timeline matches up). For all intents and purposes, everything else points to Dumbledore being celibate thereafter, completely devoting himself to his work as an educator and frequently turning down offers of a more powerful position in the government.

If anything, the treatment of Dumbledore's sexuality is more Christian than it is secular. The media just latched onto the idea that he was gay and ran with it, away from it's place in the character's storyline.

I believe at one point as Cardinal Ratzinger, the pope advised caution with regards to Harry Potter. I think that's pretty reasonable. When I have kids I won't just let them read whatever they want whenever they want; I'll expect to be able to veto things that aren't age appropriate yet, and make sure they understand when certain parts of a book aren't morally perfect.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1322675923' post='2342739']
I believe at one point as Cardinal Ratzinger, the pope advised caution with regards to Harry Potter. I think that's pretty reasonable. When I have kids I won't just let them read whatever they want whenever they want; I'll expect to be able to veto things that aren't age appropriate yet, and make sure they understand when certain parts of a book aren't morally perfect.
[/quote]

I agree in my family we ask my mom (the insainly fast reader) if we could read a book. And depending on who is asking she says yay or nay. Same with movies. I only wished other people did the same.

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1322664513' post='2342684']
I've never seen or read the HP books or movies. Honestly, I don't care too because I never found the plot interesting [/quote]

what? you have never read the books or seen the movies... and you dont find the plot interesting?

[quote]
and mum didn't like how the author supposedly came out and said that in her mind one of the characters was gay? IDK if you heard about that and if it's true but that made me not want too read or watch HP.
[/quote]

whats wrong with having a gay character? it fit well, as was explained above

mysisterisalittlesister

wait a second...Dumbledore is supposed to be...GAY? WHAT? AHHHHHHH! JK ROWLING, HOW COULD YOU! i still like the books though, as some fun reading. but there are definitely better books like...St Faustina's diary! best book ever! i just wanted to know why people are so against the series.