An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Occupy Movement Vis A Vis The Tea Partiers - Minus The Violence

dairygirl4u2c

Occupy movement vis a vis the tea partiers  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1322634151' post='2342569']
why do you think America should be the world's police force? isnt that pretty arrogant?
[/quote]

Because we're amesome. And because obv we're the only ones who can be really trusted with nuclear weapons cause duh, WE aren't going to do anything wrong with them but you know those other bastards will.

\

Edited by Ice_nine

Except if Iran were to ever use a nuclear device upon getting one, the retaliation against it would leave an entire nation of irradiated dead. The United States remains, thank God, the only nation in the world to have ever used a nuclear weapon in anything but a test setting. Part of the reason that remains, is the unofficial threat of retaliation by other nuclear powers; it's no longer so much Mutually Assured Destruction as a doctrine, as it is the nations of the world putting down what would amount to a mad dog.

North Korea, for instance, has nuclear weapons. Not powerful ones, but they do. They're still technically at war with South Korea and the United States. They've not brought these into play, despite rhetoric about destroying the South that is similar to that of Iran's rhetoric against Israel.

In my opinion, just because you have something doesn't mean you're willing to use it. Kim Jung Il (still my opinion) is far more out of his mind than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is. Also, he has absolute power, Ahmadinejad is about number 14or 15 in the line of power in Iran; the Supreme Leader Khamenei being first, followed by the twelve members of the Guardian Council (without the approval of, Ahmadinejad couldn't have even run for office). I still think, personal opinion again, that I'd place him above the 86 members of the Assembly of Experts.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1322634151' post='2342569']
why do you think America should be the world's police force? isnt that pretty arrogant?
[/quote]
Better America than China (and its noisy lapdog North Korea), Russia, or Iran.

Im not sure why any superpower needs to be the world police force. "so north korea doesnt do it first" isnt really a good reason to do anything, fyi

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1322771659' post='2343291']
Im not sure why any superpower needs to be the world police force. "so north korea doesnt do it first" isnt really a good reason to do anything, fyi
[/quote]
If one power ceases to be the top military dog, another one [i]will[/i] quickly rise to fill in the vacuum. And chances are, it won't be somebody benevolent and peace-loving.

As a caveat, I do think the U.S. military is currently over-extended, and involved in too much activity not vital to national security, and I don't think the U.S. should be constantly fighting every single "bad guy" out there. I think Ronald Reagan had pretty good national security policy - he helped contain and bring down the Soviet "Evil Empire" while using a minimum of bloodshed.

My beef is more with the currently fashionable, but extremely naive and ignorant, idea that if only Big Bad America got out of the way, the world would suddenly become a peaceful and happy place. Geo-political reality and thousands of years of history say otherwise.