An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Movement Vis A Vis The Tea Partiers

dairygirl4u2c

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Research, graphs, charts, polls, surveys, etc. do not trump what I experience and witness.

And I fail to understand how this is relevant to me having a math degree.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321472278' post='2336970']

I like how you helped your case by actually making a rational argument rather than reinforcing my point by refusing to actually engage with facts and reason.

Oh, wait.
[/quote]
I hope this helps you.

[url="http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/economy/college_tuition_middle_class/index.htm"]http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/economy/college_tuition_middle_class/index.htm[/url]

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321479103' post='2337026']
I hope this helps you.

[url="http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/economy/college_tuition_middle_class/index.htm"]http://money.cnn.com...class/index.htm[/url]
[/quote]

So to help make college more affordable we should tax colleges so they have less money than they otherwise would have?

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321477673' post='2337013']
Research, graphs, charts, polls, surveys, etc. do not trump what I experience and witness.

And I fail to understand how this is relevant to me having a math degree.
[/quote]

Space seems Euclidean and physical forces seem to obey Newtonian laws.

In reality, to the extent that the concept applies here, space is non-Euclidean and Newtonian laws, while a fine approximation of how we experience the physical relative to our scale, are not 'real'.

The point was that math values argument and deduction over anecdotal experience and usually people who are well versed in the mathematical and physical sciences understand pretty well, thanks to their subject matter, that drawing inferences from what 'seems' to be the case, based on intuition formed by haphazard and limited observation, is a bad idea when you have hard data and sound arguments that contradict that haphazardly infered anecdotal experience.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321479322' post='2337031']

Right. So to help make college more affordable we should tax colleges so they have less money than they otherwise would have. How do colleges make up for lost revenue again? I think it has something to do with rising the amount that they charge students to attend the college.
[/quote]
You failed to understand the irony.

I am sure you heard, "The rich need to pay their fair share". Seems that the people that say this desire to tax the 'rich' to the point that they are no longer 'rich'. Then if so, who are the risk-taking venture capitalist.

Actually, what they should be saying is, 'The rich need to pay their unfair share.'. Because they already pay their fair share.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321479566' post='2337034']

Space seems Euclidean and physical forces seem to obey Newtonian laws.

In reality, to the extent that the concept applies here, space is non-Euclidean and Newtonian laws, while a fine approximation of how we experience the physical relative to our scale, are not 'real'.

The point was that math values argument and deduction over anecdotal experience and usually people who are well versed in the mathematical and physical sciences understand pretty well, thanks to their subject matter, that drawing inferences from what 'seems' to be the case, based on intuition formed by haphazard and limited observation, is a bad idea when you have hard data and sound arguments that contradict that haphazardly infered anecdotal experience.
[/quote]
Oh. I feel so foolish now. Thank you.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

pax domine bretheren,sypathiesers and others...
no pun intended but JESUS is LORD and i won't stop till mexico,canada and the u.s.a. believe all have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD, again let me remind you JESUS iz LORD.

P.S. please remember to let toby,tobias,tobz in on the tea party or bean busters or whatever your playing at. :)

God bless you all may the holy son shine upon you.

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1321486296' post='2337101']
pax domine bretheren,sypathiesers and others...
no pun intended but JESUS is LORD and i won't stop till mexico,canada and the u.s.a. believe all have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD, again let me remind you JESUS iz LORD.
[/quote]
Could you explain the pun here? I've read and reread this with every manner and class of inflection and just cannot figure it out.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1321480095' post='2337041']
Oh. I feel so foolish now. Thank you.
[/quote]

You're welcome.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1321479322' post='2337031']

So to help make college more affordable we should tax colleges so they have less money than they otherwise would have?
[/quote]
Taxes make things cheaper. It's economic fact. Krugman's been explaining this for years. Duh. Also, printing money is good because then there's more money. Obviously, if we take money from the colleges, we can put more money into the colleges through grants and loans. This will make college cheaper, which is what government intervention in college tuition has been doing until recently, when the velocity of pieces of paper slowed down, thus making the economy tank because consumers weren't purchasing. Everyone knows that spending dollars makes an economy grow. We have to trade the money back and forth. Once it attains a certain velocity, it will become valuable so the government must inject high velocity pieces of paper into the economy.

A research study was planned, and a mathematician, statistician, and Keynesian economist were invited to participate.
First the mathematician comes in. The administrator asks him "What does 2+2? equal?" The mathematician looks at him like he's an idiot and says "4, of course." The administrator asks "Are you sure?", and the mathematician walks out in disgust,
Next, the statistician comes in. The administrator asks him the same question. The statistician says "It's 4." The administrator asks "Are you sure?" and he answers "95 times out of 100."
Finally, the Keynesian economist walks in. The administrator asks him "What does 2+2? equal?" The Keynesian gets up, closes and locks the door, and closes the blinds on all the windows. Then he sits back down, leans really close to the administrator, and says "What do you want it to equal?"

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1321562561' post='2337508']
High velocity paper eh? I think I can design a cannon for that...
[/quote]

It's called the Federal Reserve.

As far as Tea Party and OWS, I'm fairly certain the Tea Party members don't rape its own members and stab police.

Depends on the tea party member, probably. I think you'll find similar crimes at any tent city--crooks show up to take advantage.